shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress need for bride: tea length, blue?, audrey hepburn type

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ladies and congratulations to all of you,
I am looking to possibly wear a sapphire blue/maybe iridescent dress this time. Second time bride and with red hair, blue eyes and fair skin, royal, navy, etc. blues look best on me.

I love the tea-length vintage 50's dresses that flare out with a "petticoat" under. Super classic and elegant.
I have to style one so I look like the bride.

Does anyone know where I can find such a dress?

audrey_hepburn_wedding_0.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
Re: Dress need for bride: tea length, blue?, audrey hepburn

I'm not sure what her budget is, but Stephanie James Couture is a designer that specializes in tea length vintage inspired gowns. She even has an "Audrey" dress! She also makes them in all colors and her blog has featured dresses done in anything from light blues, light purples, and peaches, to screaming reds.

http://stephaniejamescouture.com/collections-2/tea-length_wedding_dresses/

I would have LOVED one of her gowns, but they were well out of my price point. I was inspired by her Josephine dress with cap sleeves and after much searching found something similar at a local department store in peach satin under white lace in my budget. I found at run of the mill bridal stores that tea length was hard to come by and the ones they had were kind of blah.

Let us know what she picks! Good luck with the search!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you for helping. I do not want to spend a lot. This will be a very small, romantic "enchanted evening". :)

audball

Ideal_Rock

I would definitely hit up some department stores! Prices are way better than bridal salons and you'll find more knee length/color options anyway. The other site that had some promising vintage inspired options was ModCloth. My second contender was from there. They have free shipping and free returns and user reviews/pictures are helpful!

Something like this?
http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/dinner-party-darling-dress-in-blue-bubbles

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks so much. I am sure you are right about department stores vs. bridal stores.
My daughter loves Modcloth-already checked that one out. They have so many cute dresses!
I just don't see one for me for this occasion.

lawmax :)

audball

Ideal_Rock

Good luck!!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock

I like this one (I would likely add a little crinoline) but it was from the fall 2013 collection and I don't know that I can get it.

ramona_kaveza_2013.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock

That's pretty! I would guess most salons would still have Fall 2013 gowns available as Fall 2014 gowns haven't come out yet? What is your dress budget? I think Romona Kaveza is a pretty pricey designer.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock

The main headquarters in NY is going to have someone call me.
It may be way too expensive.
We'll see.
It's tough when everything is in limbo.... :rolleyes:

audball

Ideal_Rock

You never know! Let us know what they say.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock

I checked. I didn't get the exact number but I do not even want to be in that ballpark!!!! lol
So, suggestions for intimate second wedding of about 28 people....all family.
Hmmmm........
All I have so far is an officiant and we want to get married in October!
Frustrating.

audball

Ideal_Rock

Costs and venue suggestions will vary largely depending upon where you live! Check on the "Getting lost in stupid stuff" thread for great ideas. There are several PS brides-to-be who are actively planning their weddings and may be of some help!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock

Audball,
You are so sweet. Thank you to the link to a useful thread. Having not been here in a while, I am not familiar like when I was moderating these boards many moons ago!

I did get a great venue for the reception last night and an officiant. Now, we need a place for the ceremony. Hopefully I will have more info. today on that and my diamond/ring situation.

Fiance really wants me to wear blue for the wedding because it suits me so well. The search continues. Other than some link to "custom made in China", I haven't found a knockoff of the Ramona Keveza that I want, though their headquarters warned me about knockoffs. I would consider one....maybe.

Going to check out that link!

Thanks!
lawmax

audball

Ideal_Rock

Happy to help! I'd be leery of the China knock-offs -- especially if you've secured a date for October. That doesn't give you a lot of time and if it goes wrong...eek! The summer months are the best of the year to find light colored formal wear at the Department Stores. For the price of a knock-off RK from China, you could get a really nice dress from Nordstrom, Macy's, etc.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Help Dressbride: tea length, blue?, hepburn Sabrina type

Thanks again.
I am looking at the department stores. Tea Length in A line with this neckline or similar in formal fabric is tough! I would love to wear long notted pearls hanging down the back. Need something for my hair and/or other to look somewhat bridal.

Keep your eyes open for me please!
You are the best! :appl: :appl:

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock

Hi!
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me!
That dress is adorable! I'm a bit afraid of ordering a dress but I have to think about it a bit. The wedding is most likely going to be in October so I feel like I need to try a dress on to make sure it suits me.

I found the dress below and ordered it to try it on as it was selling out quickly. I think it's beautiful for a Saturday night. So far the plan is a ceremony (somewhere) and dinner for 26 with our kids and immediate family members in a semi-private section of a very elegant restaurant that is a popular venue for weddings. Our party is just so small that it doesn't work to rent one of their private rooms or ballrooms. We will have a prix-fixe 3 course meal and a wedding cake.

There is dancing upstairs afterwards that is open to the public so we will go up and dance! Perhaps they will entertain the idea of playing a first dance song for us. It should be elegant and festive. Perfect for a second marriage for each of us.

So, that is the plan for now!
The question is how to style it a bit bridal. Long pearls knotted down the back, other jewelry, and what do I put in my hair? I don't think I want an updo.

Thank you ladies. We'll see if this dress works for me.

Details
Dramatically elegant, this belted design is constructed with a lace bodice and a sweeping tulle ball gown skirt.

Boatneck
Cap sleeves
Lace bodice
Grosgrain belt
Tulle skirt
Concealed back zip
Lined
About 44" from natural waist

aidan_mattox.jpg

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you want to get your first dance make sure you give the band or DJ notice a few days before and that night give them a good tip!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock

Good idea!!!! :appl:

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks so much for the links!
I will look at them for sure.
I ordered a couple of other dresses from Saks to try as well.
One is a dark blue tulle which is hard to see online. It is ML by Monique Lhuillier with a sweetheart neckline, ruched crossover and tea length A line. I may even get a crinoline.
It is simple so accessories will be key.
Silverish wrap?
Silver shoes?

Need ideas for looks for hair. Likely down and need someway to look a little bridal.

Getting a little excited.

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock

Have you thought of going the custom route? Find a tailor with evening wear experience and great reviews. It sounds as if you want something very very specific. It will also be cheaper. I had an evening gown made for me once and it was the same cost as buying something off the rack. My friend who wanted a red wedding dress had hers made for her too.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock

Really?
You know, I just figured it would make a dress cost much more to go custom.
Good idea to check it out!

Thank you so much.
Trying to breath and know that this will all come together!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock

sweet
I tried on 3 dresses that I ordered and none of them fit properly. It would seem that my bust may be too big to look good in a dress with that neckline. I also have a short torso and short waist with long legs so finding a dress that fits is not so easy.
Fiance is set on me wearing blue which is OK but a bit limiting.
Other aspects of the wedding are coming together so I am breathing a bit easier.
Looks like we have an officiant, likely a lovely ceremony venue, a lovely reception venue and a photographer.

Patience.....

Thank you very much for helping!

Smores84

Shiny_Rock

Have you considered a separate top & skirt?
Silk skirt from Tibi:
acol_110.jpg

Smores84

Shiny_Rock

These can be ordered in blue from House of Mooshki
index_0.jpg
images_13.jpg
alexandra-1.jpg
images2_0.jpg

Smores84

Shiny_Rock

This one is from Anthro (it recently sold out online, but may be worth calling CS for to find it in a store)
14281324490_a0d72c3d60_o.jpg

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock

Those are adorable. Thank you.
I see that the bateau neckline is really popular now. Problem is that I may be too busty for it.
I actually ordered a white dress that is pretty and lacy sort of from Neiman's. No idea how that will fit.
Must go try on dresses

Right now, away in pre-wedding honeymoon. Won't have one after the wedding in October.:D
Champagne, chocolate-covered strawberries and rise petals in the shape if a heart on the bed. Sweet

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results