shape
carat
color
clarity

Day of Wedding: Gifts...What Are You Giving Your SO?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't even know if Greg knows that such a thing as the 'day of wedding gift' exists but I will rely on my MOH to give him the great news and steer him in a 'sparkling' direction...hee hee.

For him, I plan to get him a set of Tiffany cufflinks in silver, they have about 20 styles! So confusing. I am kicking around the idea of engraving them with his initials but that seems even more cliche than giving him cufflinks as the wedding gift. Hee Hee. Normally I shy away from cliche ...but he really does need a set of cufflinks, his are pretty ghetto, and he owns a tux that he wears at times so he definitely needs a nice set. Tiffany has great options and surprisingly they don't break the bank, so I figure this time HE will get a blue box for the gift.
1.gif
Usually it's the other way around.

This would be the dream pair if I was made of money:

http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/item.asp?channel=&CategoryId=125&c_id=WEB1&c_it=36M1&start_id=1&

However, since we are on a budget and are not made of money...this is what I am considering for him:

http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/item.asp?channel=&CategoryId=125&c_id=WEB1&c_it=35O1&start_id=41&

I like the clean wide links of the ovals and they seem masculine, plus they will be visible on the cuffs. I don't like wimpy or skinny cufflinks...I want them to make a statement.

Engraving...no..yes? I don't know.
1.gif

So what are you planning on giving your wife or husband-to-be for their giftie?
1.gif

pauls girl

Shiny_Rock
That's a really good question. Like yours, I doubt Paul even knows this tradition exists. I have some friends who have just gone all out for this gift, and I think that after paying for the wedding (which we are), honeymoon (us again), Wedding bands, etc... anything too lavish just seems out of reach. One of my good friends spent $3000.00 on her (now) husband, and he bought her a CAR for their wedding gift to each other...A CAR! Uh...I was thinking more in the $100.00 range. Part of me would like to get him something for his hobby (right now it's guitar...but he goes full blast on one hobby for a while and then switches to something like genealogy, or backpacking). He has a really nice set of cufflinks that he has worn I think twice in his life, so I can't decide if I want to spend the money on something he would never use again & might not think they were as cool as I did. So, right now I am heading towards something geared at a hobby of his...but since he has lately been buying everything he sees before I can buy it for him, I may have a hard time finding something he doesn't already have. I know he'll love anything I get him, but I wish I could get him something like those cufflinks. I would like to give him something that he will have for years to come.

So, to answer your question in 3 words or less...no idea yet.
confused.gif

Oh! Those cufflinks are really nice. I really like them as they are...without any engraving.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
$3000 or a car are you serious? Uhh $100 is more my speed too esp since we just signed away our lives for our house AND are paying for the wedding and honeymoon ourselves as well. Plus Greg would probably kill me if I got him anything super elaborate, he doesn't like over-the-top gifts.
rolleyes.gif
He's very practical! For VDay he got me a Shark Hand-Vac, a sugar canister, a plastic bag container (to mount on the wall inside a cabinet for plastic grocery bags) and a flexible spatula. For his gifts, I got him his diamond (which was already bought!), a Sharper Image shower mirror for shaving, and a wall-mountable soap dish from PB for his side of the master sink. So in general we are pretty practical...and cufflinks work, thank goodness. Hee Hee.

pauls girl

Shiny_Rock
I can relate to being practical....Paul has his MBA, and if there was any sort of poll taken to see the personalities of certain degrees, I think financial practicality would be high on the list of MBA's - they seem to go hand in hand (which after i type this my thought is 'duh'). I think that had something to do with us dating for 8 years before he proposed...he wanted to pay off his huge student loans (which he did), because he wanted to be financially stable & have no debts when he asked me to marry him. Sometimes the practical gifts are fun too! I wanted a really nice vacuum to replace our junky dirt devil for like a year, and when we finally bought one it was so exciting! Ha! I guess it doesn't take much to get me excited!

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I would go with these:

http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/item.asp?channel=&CategoryId=125&c_id=WEB1&c_it=36M&start_id=36&mysid1=93B4A1499FF84BA78DB21D3BC03D1F12&cntry1=1&

(esp. if you're going to spend $3k
2.gif
)

The sterling silver is nice, but keep in mind that if worn often, they will get scratched/dented and that nice shiny finish won't last ... cuff links can take some abuse. You would need to get them buffed periodically.

Cuff links should also match the shirt studs, which might be hard with those.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice LG!

He will wear them about 4 times a year max for about 4 hours max each time. So it won't be so bad. Plus I can always get him another set later down the line as an 'upgrade'.
2.gif

His shirts have buttons and I think he wears a vest...so it's not really an issue for the matching thing.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, finding nice cufflinks is cake compared to finding a decent French-cuff shirt that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
sad.gif
sick.gif
angryfire.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the thread I needed !

From the latest London escapade, I got a bundle of nice shirts - all to be worn with cufflinks. What are the correct girls' cufflinks supposed to look like?
rolleyes.gif
British cufflinks do not seem to be sexually segregated in any way... not sure this is so elsewhere... is it?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Hey Mara,

As for cufflinks, my guy's a HUGE fan of them, and I found these for a gift last year, with his initials on them to do just the trick. They are elegant, understated, and simply classic.

http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/item.asp?channel=&CategoryId=125&c_id=WEB1&c_it=35O&start_id=1&

LG, great cufflinks, I agree...
love.gif

Ana, I too have an slight obsession with cufflink shirts, and I think they can be done quite well, but who does them quite well and femine enough for a nice suit of a skirt and short, try Chalres Trywhitt. I love some of their links, which the womens can have some rhinestones and sparklies that make them classic yet feminine. As for the question, according to Pink (who also sells some women's FC shirts!), womens' tend to have the barbell, whereas men have the other types, varying from screws, the flip, and knots...(but the lines are blurring, as no one has ever set these rules in stone, so you'll see barbell cuffs for men, and knots for women)

Also try: http://www.cufflinks.com/

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/default.aspx (Charles Trywhitt)

http://www.raresplendors.com

http://www.thomaspink.co.uk/Thomaspink_Flash/ChooseZone.aspx (Thomas Pink)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Nicrez
2.gif
I was already looking twice around wearing mine...
5.gif

blueskiesalways

Rough_Rock
www.starregistry.com

Nice thread Mara. I'm having a star named for Jake. It's a really neat program and comes compleate with plaque, charts, location, ect.
However, now i'll have to buy the telescope as well. No point in having a star if you can't see it...lol
I'll post a picture...maybe PS memebers can check it out under the ideal scope..aww,J/K

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Blue Skies Always, I got a star named after me for Valentine's Day...I got the plaque and all... It is very sweet, and I hadn't even thought of the telescope idea, but hmmmm....one more thing to put on my list...

I think it's SO sweet (I am a big astronomy fan!), and even better if his star ends up becoming a white dwarf, and crystalizes like that trillion carat star just recently in the news! Imagine giving him the BIGGEST diamond, but it being too far for either of you to cash in on... maybe you're grandkids will reap those rewards! LOL
9.gif

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
My dear fiance likes Breittling (SP?!) watches....but it's a little out of my budget for a gift. So, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results