shape
carat
color
clarity

Bought my dress!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
So today I took the plunge and bought my dress. As most of you know I am waffle girl when it comes to making these types of decisions...even my e-ring was a nightmare to figure out. So this week I told AL...I have to get serious about this and stop fooling around. The wedding is only 5.5 months away and I don''t even have a dress. Also, the shocked expression of a friend of Greg''s when she asked me about my dress after asking the wedding date and I told her I didn''t have one really spurred me to get going.

So yesterday I went to a local store where alot of brides get their dresses, I''d made a visit to them back in March of this year. Yes a while. So they pulled my card again, I tried on some of the original ones I''d originally seen, and then some new ones. I''ve lost about 10 lbs since Jan of this year, so I fit into all the samples which was awesome...because then you can really see what the dress looks like vs having it pinned in areas and then trying to ''imagine'' it.

While they were pulling my dresses, I was shopping around looking for other ones I''d missed and I saw this one dress go into a fitting room and thought, wow that looks really pretty and very thin. So I told my girl that I wanted to see if she could snag that one if they didn''t like it. About 10 min later, the woman in there left and didn''t buy anything, so I asked to see the dresses in that room. Pulled the one I saw and saw that in person it looked even prettier and very interesting. So put it into the pile.

Tried on all the dresses. Each one looked good...as I said, I am horrible at making these decisions. My sales

assistant didn''t help either because she loved everything as well. Even the people there to try on other dresses and their families liked almost all the dresses I put on. No help there. So narrowed it down to about 4--and then forced myself to narrow it down again to two before I left. I wanted to come back today with my mother and make the final decision--because they had told me that I was on the cusp of ordering too late...so had to do it ASAP.

Went back in today and made the decision with the help of my very picky mother. She loved the same one I did (I had one favorite) hands down over the other one, and so I bought the store sample. It was $350 cheaper and it fit perfectly, the only alterations are going to be some missing beadwork, a new zipper and a modified neckline (Its a scoop and I want it to be more of a V for a tiny bit of cleavage). The hem is perfect, the size is perfect...etc. Also this way I don''t have to wait the 5 months for the ordering (I was cutting it REALLY close....a special order would have come 3 weeks before the wedding...no room for error and minimal alteration time) and I have the dress in my possession the whole time for try-ons with jewelry, shoes etc. So it''s off at the cleaners right now and I will have it in about 1.5 weeks.

The funniest thing about all of this is that the dress I chose is the one that I pulled from that other dressing room. So if I hadn''t been in that spot at that time and seen that dress go into that room, I wouldn''t have bought it today. The other dresses looked excellent as well, it was a hard decision, but I guess this was just the one I was supposed to go with.
2.gif
Bonus is that it''s a Rena Koh which is an excellent designer, and I wasn''t even trying to get a designer dress. So it''s very well made, and for a sample price!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Picture of me in the dress --forced to try a veil by my mother...not sure on the veil yet. This is the front obviously.
2.gif
Blurred the face because I hate the smile I'm wearing there!!! I'll also have a built in lifter for the bra since I don't want to wear anything and obviously I need a little support..hee hee.

wed dress front 3 copy.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
And a side/back view...
1.gif
The train has a tiny amount of beading on it to match the dress which is just beautiful...funny how I didn't want any beading on the dress and this one has a good amount--but in person it really sparkles very subtly and just adds to the dress. I think a plain slip like the Richard Tyler I was considering would not have been as complimentary.
2.gif

wed dress side 1.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mara the dress is beautiful.Very Elegant and suites you well...(You should have left your smile in there
2.gif
)..

Was hoping to scroll down and see you in the red...
3.gif

How Exciting!!!
21.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha Ha Josh don't think the scarlet red gown would have gone over as well with my mom!
1.gif

The smile I had made me look like the Joker..so definitely wasn't leaving that in there!
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/14/2003 4:56:46 PM Mara wrote:

----------------

I believe this goes to the "timing is everything" theory.
9.gif

Very pretty - well suited for your Hawaian wedding! And, yes a little "V" will really zip it up for your figure.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Ooooohhhh! Mara! Gorgeous dress!
love.gif

You already know I'm a fan of bead work. Beading adds a nice touch. This dress has just the right amount too! Adds flair and elegance without taking away from your beauty!
16.gif
And to be in the right place at the right time! You and this dress were destined to be together!
appl.gif

I like the idea of a slight V neckline better as well. The scoop is pretty, but the slight V will add a bit of flair and make the dress as unique as you!
3.gif

Good thing you are waiting until after the cleaners to replace the bead work. No matter how gentle the cleaners are with a beaded item, some of the beadwork always seems to come off.
rolleyes.gif

I saw the Regent peeking out in the pics. It really does show nicely!
4.gif

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Mara
That is one serious dress. You look great.
1.gif

It's too sexy for me, but looks fantastic on you.
9.gif

So how do you wear undies with that? Or do you? Ha ha!
11.gif

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
That is a beautiful dress! And it's funny how you found it... It must be such a relief to have that part done.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hee Hee I don't see it as sexy at all...I see it as simple! Next to me there was this other bride trying on all sorts of uncomfortable looking beaded crystal huge poufy creations and her comments were things like 'not enough sparkle' (for her gown). I felt like an oasis of simplicity next to her.
2.gif
Plus all her family was telling ME I looked amazing. Hee Hee.

Anyhow, I was wearing undies in those pictures, so it's definitely not a problem.
2.gif
Yay!! Not like the RT dress..definitely.
rodent.gif

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
I say sexy because it shows off your figure rather than hides it under layers of fabric. And simplicity is quite often sexy.
1.gif

So what about shoes? Hee Hee.

pauls girl

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 12/14/2003 5:07:15 PM Mara wrote:

And a side/back view...
1.gif
The train has a tiny amount of beading on it to match the dress which is just beautiful...funny how I didn't want any beading on the dress and this one has a good amount--but in person it really sparkles very subtly and just adds to the dress. >----------------
This comment really made me smile. This is exactly how I felt when I found MY dress - originally I wanted NO beading, no lace,no tulle, no NOTHING...and ended up with a beaded bodice! It is amazing how once you try THE dress on you know it, and occasionally it has the things you were sure you wouldn't want. Originally I wanted the EXACT dress that Jenny Mccarthy wore for her wedding (looked a lot like the dress that Carolyn Bessette Kennedy wore to her wedding), but ended up with something completely different than what I thought I would like. Who knew?
1.gif

Congratulations on finding it!

edited to add: somehow I ended up with your font. I guess I haven't ever taken a quote from an original post before.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hei! That dress looks great! AND CONFORTABLE - just like a dress meant for a hard day like that should. Wedding dress does not apply here, but that style makes up a good chunk of my wardrobe (to everybody's dismay). Of course, your version is all that more elegant and detailed. Not to mention how well that havy flow of fabric looks. What is it made of? from this side of th screen looks like a particularly substantial silk. And the color? It appears a very mild ivory color from this side of the 'pond'
1.gif
Great looks M'am!
9.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
VERY, VERY nice. Classy, elegant, simple.....and I LOVE the beadwork. Just a touch.....perfect!

I'm a little bummed, though......was really looking forward to a bit of retribution by way of SMACKS when you didn't get it done! BAH!

XvvOrlyBearvvX

Rough_Rock
I love that dress...It seems perfect for the wedding you will be having it looks sooooo good on you.
love.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom just called me and told me that she thinks I made an excellent decision on the gown and that it looks spectacular. I'm glad she called because of course the pictures don't do this gown justice and after you take it off, you start to forget what it really looked like.
sad.gif

The good thing also about me having gotten the sample is that I can now try on shoes, jewelry etc with the gown itself. If I had special ordered, it would have come in early April which would have given me about 3-4 weeks to get my shoes, jewels etc and know for sure if they went with the gown. Now I can try things on until my heart is content. So, definitely happy I ordered the sample. Now I just have to make sure that Greg doesn't peek into the closet!!

1.gif
Thanks for all the great thoughts and comments. I am really happy with my selection, just wish the pictures did it more justice as usual. We met with our photographer last nite over coffee and I told him my #1 priority in the wedding (besides the obvious: getting hitched!!!) was to LOOK GOOD IN THE PICTURES. No pressure or anything. Hee Hee.
9.gif

pauls girl

Shiny_Rock
is your photographer a personal friend? Are you flying them out for the wedding, or did you jet off to Hawaii for the weekend? Sounds so jet setting!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
No we met him months ago, when we first were thinking of getting married here locally. He is awesome and we loved his work (digital) and his pricing (about 1/2 of what other places were charging). So we met with him and loved him. Then the Hawaii plan came into effect, so we asked him what he thought about coming with us. He offered to pay 1/2 his expenses, which we of course agreed to and then worked out an amazing package with him. We got a full day of photography (meaning from the minute we wake up until we go to sleep if thats what we want) and 1/2 price expenses for 2 days and airfare for him...for an extremely great rate. And he threw in the album and the online hosting, etc etc. Such a great deal. Also, since he is coming a day or two early and will be joining in on activities, we may even get lucky if he decides to snap some pictures of the fun group activities. He said a recent similar trip he went to for a friend's sister's wedding in Colorado....he was there for about 3 days. The edited down amount of pictures that he came up with was 600! That was the FINAL amount. A normal day of shooting he noted is max 400 pictures.

Plus we really love him, his work is amazing, and he really feels connected with us. He's about Greg's age (mid-30's) and we get along with him really well....so it is even better of a working relationship. He has lots of ideas for the wedding, he has never been to Hawaii before, so he is really looking forward to it. We really lucked out!!! Also for 2004 they really raised their prices because they have been getting alot more recognition, so we got an even better deal than we thought originally.
2.gif
He may even bring his girlfriend, who I have met, as his assistant, which is really cool because she can help out and ensure that people are where they need to be for photos so that I don't have to worry about it.
rodent.gif

pauls girl

Shiny_Rock
Wow. That is so great. We have to interview all of our vendors when we go up to Portland at Christmas, and it will be a daunting task. The one I am most concerned about is the Photographer. That is the one vendor I think the most care should be taken when choosing who you hire. Because years from now, the photos are all you have of this wonderful event.

Congratulations again on finding a photographer you trust, and what a great deal!

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, I love this dress, I saw the pic before I realized it was your post (as it was loading) and I thought, I love this dress, I could wear this to my wedding. Oh Mara, I really love it and it looks good on you.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Mara,

That dress looks beautiful on you. The lines are very simple and elegant and the beading keeps it from being too plain w/o going over the top -- should be perfect for your beach wedding. Please post pics after you have the alterations done, as I would love to see how your custom V neckline turns out.

daboyzmomi

Shiny_Rock
Mara,

I LOVE the dress! It is going to be simply gorgeous on you in Hawaii! What a stunnig bride you will soon make. Congrats!
wavey.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys!!
1.gif
The dress is back from the cleaners, I just have to go get it at some point....

I will have to refrain from trying it on too much or else I'm sure I will just get it dirty again! Alterations are in February...that's when they will make the modifications as well.
2.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Wow Mara! That's a very beautiful dress! It's got clean lines and looks absolutely great on you.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Giangi...my favorite fashion maven!
1.gif
That means alot coming from you...hee hee.

Too bad Prada doesn't make wedding gowns.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results