shape
carat
color
clarity

Alteration prices

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamond Confused

Shiny_Rock
So I am purchasing my dress at Saks and was told there would be a $500 flat fee for alterations. is this crazy?!?! Would it be smart to take it elsewhere?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well it''s Saks so I think it''s par for the course unfortunately. I would expect, however, that they have great seamstresses there and will do a fantastic job. If they don''t you can raise holy hell with them.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
That depends...$500 could be well worth it depending on how much you are having altered. For me, it''s pretty steep. I got mine for $200 I think. Other girls on another forum local to my city paid around $400.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
By the way, call some places and tell them what you want and ask for a price quote. They can''t give you anything set in stone since they can''t see the dress, but you could tell them to hem it, add a bustle, add in cups, etc.

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
$500 at Saks is reasonable. When I was shopping for my dress we asked David''s Bridal how much their alterations usually range and they go up to $350...the quality at Saks is probably better. If you anticipate needing a lot of alterations then stick with Saks and the $500 because most likely they''ll be able to handle the complicated alterations well. If you think your alterations will be minimal, go somewhere else and save some $$.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I paid a flat $375 and they were fabulous alterations. If the quality matches the price, it will be well worth it. The woman who altered my dress knew the designer, and that dress fit my like a glove. I didn''t have to hike it up once (strapless) and my waist has never looked tinier.

Morgie44

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that it depends on what you need done - if you need a hem and a bustle that is high! If you need more specific work done, where a more skilled seamstress would be beneficial, it may be more worth it.

Haven - Am I correct in thinking you are in the Chicago area? If so, would you mind sharing who you used? I have lost quite a bit of weight since my dress was ordered and need it taken in several inches!

so cal girl

Shiny_Rock
I got my dress at Saks last year, and I remember the flat fee alterations were only $300. I''m surprised they have gone up that much in one year!

Also, as a note, they had a special promotion at one point during the year where if you used your Saks card to purchase a certain amount, you could get up to a $300 Saks gift card. We used my card to pay off the remaining balance on my dress, and got the full $300, making the alterations basically free. I would ask your consultant if they are having that deal again anytime soon.

If I would have taken the dress somewhere else, the cost probably would have been about $300 anyway, but $500 seems a bit excessive. By the way, the alterations to the bodice of my dress were worth it, but she did a not so great job on my bustle. The whole thing ripped, and I now have a very expensive dress with tears in it that I will never be able to do anything with.

lovesparklies

Shiny_Rock
I purchased my dress at Saks in September 2008 and the flat fee for alterations was $400, and I had my dress measured hollow to hem so I didn''t need the length altered once I got the dress. The alterations cost was a lot but in my opinion was worth it. I only needed one fitting because the seamstress nailed the alterations on the first try. I liked that I didn''t have to track down a reliable seamstress on my own and she did an amazing job because she had to take the lace off the top of my dress, alter the inside part down, and then reapply the lace. I''d just go with the $500 charge if I were you.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
That seems pretty high! I''m sure the cost differs regionally... but here, paying more than $300 would be outrageous!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, it really just depends on the store and your area. I paid about $250 in alterations, but I also ordered a custom hem length for another $150... so all in all, I really paid $400. This was at a bridal salon that sold mid-range gowns (Pronovias, etc.), so I can easily $500 from a higher-end shop like Saks.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
In New York, $500 is a standard flat fee at many higher end stores as well -- Pronovias, Kleinfeld, Mark Ingram.

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure if it's true for all dresses at all price points mscushion, but at Pronovias in NYC my alterations are free of charge! (Good thing too, cause I really maxed out the budget with this dress!
6.gif
)

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
I bought from RK Bridal in NYC. They have a flat fee of $300 no matter what you want done. They did a good job in the end, but it took some prodding.

The $500 is high if you don''t need much done, but if they start taking apart your Saks designer dress in the bodice somewhere, it might be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results