shape
carat
color
clarity

addition to weight loss thread: lets post our favorite healthy meals

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
i always like to hear about new or easy healthy meals and snacks. this might be another way to keep us motivated. here are some of my favorites:

for lunch: i like to stuff a low carb pita with sliced cucumbers, broccoli sprouts, grape tomatos, and a spread of hummus. the low carb pitas are normally under 100 calories, and so this is a pretty low cal (and filling) lunch if you don''t go overboard with the hummus. it is so fresh and healthy tasting that my fiance sometimes wants to have it for dinner!!

for a good snack, low fat greek yogurt with splenda and some mixed berries (i usually use the frozen ones and thaw them a little)

laughwithme

Brilliant_Rock
I love to cook, so this is right down my alley.

My fiance is big into healthy eating. Every Sunday, for his lunches for the next week, I make him 5 chicken breasts with whatever marinade I have laying around, brown rice and cooked vegetables. It is cheap + healthy.

Dinner ideas - salmon with salt, pepper, lemon. WalMart sells frozen salmon (3-4 small fillets for $4.00) Last week I made the salmon with tortellini and pesto. This week, I am making with baked potato, roasted zucchini and the salmon will have a soy maple glaze. Very healthy IMO.

Other dinner ideas - we only use 93/7 ground turkey, no beef. For those of you who are scared to try it, seriously, it tastes identical. A pound at Wal Mart is $1.97, a third the price of beef.

No-meat greek pasta. Toss some rotini with tomatoes, kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, feta, olive oil and lemon juice. Super easy.

Stir fries of all kinds - shrimp + bell peppers + onion + garlic + ginger...all over jasmine rice. Low fat, very nutritious.

I have a cooking blog but got in trouble when I posted the link last time
4.gif

I could go on and on! Let me know if you want more ideas.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Hey guys! Kasey3, Haven, and I are working on the Body for Life program, and we keep a thread going over in Healthy Lifestyle about it. We've posted some recipes from the recipe book there, and they're really good. The program focuses on pairing a lean meat with a good carb for every meal, and sometimes throwing in a vegetable too. Its focus is also 6 small meals a day. Check out some of the recipes we've posted - if you like those, you'd LOVE the boko - it's got tons of recipes, and they're all great for cooking lean, low fat, high protein meals that keep you full. It's got all the meals too - breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and even healthy desserts (and YES they taste awesome!). https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/body-for-life-psers-come-on-down.123911/

And to echo laughwithme - ground turkey is pretty good. I've never gotten the 93/7 mix - our grocery store carries the 99% fat free turkey (ground lean turkey breast), so I get that. It also carries the 99% ground chicken breast too. They both taste about the same. It's expensive, but really healthy to cook with. The thing is, when you get cuts that low in fat, the lack of fat does take out a lot of flavor, so just get creative. Seasonings, spices, fat free/low sodium sauces - they all make it a lot better.

My grocery store also carries a 96% mix of lean ground beef, and it's an organic meat. I honestly, truly think this meat tastes even better than the normal 80% you'd get any other time at the grocery store - it's so flavorful, because it's clean! And only 4g of fat in a 4oz serving - can't beat that. I don't eat it every day of course, but we get it sometimes, and it's a welcome change from the turkey/chicken.

I also love to cook with fish - my favorite easy meal is salmon patties. I buy the 6oz packs of Chicken of the Sea salmon - for every packet, I add in 1 egg white, some lemon juice, some salt-free all-purpose seasoning, and crumbs from a few salt-free saltines. Mix all that up and patty them out into small patties, and stick them on the George Foreman grill for about 5 minutes each - I can fit 2 on my small grill at a time, if that helps with the size. 2 small patties is a great protein portion for a meal. And SO tasty!!

I'm starting to love pasta again. I had really gotten away from it because it blew me up so bad with the high GI and all. But I found a brand that has a very low GI - Dreamfields - and it still tastes great. I also haven't really liked whole wheat pasta very much, because it always tastes so earthy, and people never cook it long enough because it needs more time than normal white pasta - but Ronzoni makes a line called Healthy Harvest that actually tastes really good, and is all whole-wheat. Try it out!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results