shape
carat
color
clarity

Accommodations Dilemma/Vent

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
We''re getting married on 10.10.10 away from both of our homes which will require every single guest to travel. Most will be traveling two hours or less for our Sunday wedding. Since it''s peak foliage season for leaves and a long weekend (Columbus Day), apparently accommodations book up very early. (As in this month!) With 120 guests to lodge, I''m feeling a bit, well, SCREWED!

The closest major hotels are at least 15 minutes from our venue - no problem - we''ll provide transportation. Problem is, they will only give me a block of fifteen rooms. FIFTEEN. I mean really??? b/c I have 120 guests...

I''m certain between all of the lovely accommodations the area has to offer everyone will find somewhere to stay, but that means everyone is scattered. Would it be better for the hotel to be more like 35 minutes away and everyone in the same place but for us to provide transportation? Or for everyone to be on their own, scattered and limited or no transportation provided? If we go with the former, we''ll hold the rehearsal dinner/arrival event close to or at that hotel so there is no travel the day before.

I''m starting to panic and we can''t send our STD''s until we come to a decision!!! What is the most host-like guest-accommodating thing to do?? We want everyone to enjoy the wedding and have a lovely time, but I hate for there to be such a travel time btw our venue and accommodations - does it make it okay or at least more acceptable if we provide that transportation mechanism? (complete with drinks on board of course!!!)

FYI - our ceremony, cocktail hour and reception are all in one location so no travel there.

Feeling defeated already
39.gif

grace10209

Rough_Rock
Personally I think its better for everyone to be together and to share the transporation you provide. That is IF you think the majority of your guests will take it.
Some people prefer to take their own cars, silly but they do.
I went to a wedding this summer that was 30 minutes away from hotel and everyone took the bus, it was a hit, all except DH and I who took our own car..............lol
but it was still good to have EVERYONE at the same hotel, we all partied afterwards at the hotel bar - which was a nice touch

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I think housing your guests together and then providing transportation is the preferable option.

I am going through guest housing right now and our families really prefer to stay together as much as possible.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Could you check with a few of your guests, to get the general feeling? I personally prefer to take my own car (so I can leave when I want
3.gif
), but I know many don't feel that way. Would the closer hotel be more flexible if you were prepared to pay a larger deposit?

Ultimately, though, accommodation and transportation are the responsibility of your guests. As long as you're giving everyone plenty of notice, and warning, don't stress about it too much. Every wedding involves some degree of travel, and as your ceremony and reception are on the same site, you're already minimising transport problems for your guest.

Personally, I would block the 15 rooms in the closer hotel for priority guests (closest friends and family, those who would find travelling difficult such as people with young children and the elderly), then send out your STDs asap with a note explaining the situation and that people should book their own accommodation asap. If enough people end up in one place, then you could think about arranging transportation from there later on.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I''d lean towards having everyone stay together as much as possible, since often guests want to party/hang out at the hotel afterwards (and you might want to do the same). But I think the suggestion of polling a sample of guests is a good idea.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
sorry this is causing you headaches. personally, i would try to consult with a few "guest types," i.e. an aunt, a friend, a future in law, and see what the consensus is. if you find varying answers why not block the 15 at close hotel & rest of rooms at further away hotel & provide transportation. that way your guest really have a choice.

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I wouldn''t be as concerned about transportation and make the priority to provide a place for my guests to stay. Renting a car or carpooling I think could be easy for your guests.

As for the only 15 rooms. Do you think it''s possible that they just start you out at 15 and then once those get booked they''ll add more accordingly with your approval? You may have already asked that, but if not, I''d double check that. In my personal situation, I blocked rooms at three different hotels but the most we could get at each was 20 rooms. One only gave us 10. I have a guestlist of 260, most out of town so you know that''s a lot of people. But all three hotels told me that they just start out with a small number and then as the wedding grows near and more people book, they''ll add more rooms if they''re available.

I''m sure it will work out for you.

pinki

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/7/2010 1:20:51 AM
Author: caribqueen
Personally, I wouldn''t be as concerned about transportation and make the priority to provide a place for my guests to stay. Renting a car or carpooling I think could be easy for your guests.

As for the only 15 rooms. Do you think it''s possible that they just start you out at 15 and then once those get booked they''ll add more accordingly with your approval? You may have already asked that, but if not, I''d double check that. In my personal situation, I blocked rooms at three different hotels but the most we could get at each was 20 rooms. One only gave us 10. I have a guestlist of 260, most out of town so you know that''s a lot of people. But all three hotels told me that they just start out with a small number and then as the wedding grows near and more people book, they''ll add more rooms if they''re available.

I''m sure it will work out for you.
+1

When you make a block, they only "block" a small amount. As more people book, they extend the rates for whoever RSVP''s. They just don''t want to say "sure, we''ll block 60 rooms" and meanwhile only 20 rooms get booked and now they have turned others away because they showed 40 rooms being booked. Call your hotel reservations manager and talk to them and confirm, but this is usually the deal.

My block was for 10 rooms and we''re already at 25, and everyone received the negotiated rates.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results