shape
carat
color
clarity

“Semi vs. school bus, how much room do you have on the interstate for Life Flight helicopters?”

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
82A3035B-060F-4F84-B19C-9535051A709D.jpeg

Thread title is a synopsis of the 911 dispatcher call on Wednesday. :(2

Our local students; we are heartbroken and thankful—a nightmare and a miracle at once. How to comprehend? A semi crossed the grass median and slammed head-first into the bus. The driver of the semi and an assistant coach died. Head coach and school bus driver are stable, but lots of broken bones and surgeries ahead.

https://abc7chicago.com/2-killed-in...een-semi-school-bus-near-bloomington/4843022/

The helicopters went over our house. The crash happened “in the middle of nowhere,” really. Cornfields. On their way home from a basketball game.

I can’t imagine the first responders. Everyone’s worst nightmare. But the students were essentially unharmed! A broken bone, a bruise, a cut. And probably PTSD. :blackeye: My daughter got to hug her friend the day after—all eight athletes attended a varsity girls’ game that they insisted that they play to honor the man that died. He was the announcer at the home games.

Our community is grieving and also so thankful. The assistant coach/superfan retiree that passed away is well-known to the entire school. His adult children have said that they do have comfort in knowing that their father was living his passion—helping with the student athletes.

We are just so.... sad and astounded and thankful.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry. That is truly horrible. I hope they have lots of counselors for the kids. Parents should definitely learn about PTSD to help them through too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I am so sorry @KristinTech. How awful.:cry2:
Keeping everyone in your community in my thoughts and sending gentle hugs to you.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How awful KristenTech. Such courage displayed by the kids playing their game as scheduled to honor their assistant coach. Such hope and honor in that! Wishing them continued strength as they deal with this tragedy and it's aftermath.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just horrific - I can only imagine how this school community is feeling right now. Thankful no more than that were hurt but mournful for those that lost their lives. These random, freak accidents are the stuff that nightmares are made of for all of us. Take care and best wishes to your daughter and fellow students.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How terrible. I am familiar with the area. Wishing the very best for everyone involved.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a terrible incident. So sorry to hear this, and that you and your community is going through this. Hugs, thoughts and prayers for all you.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone—things are looking better today. The bus driver was upgraded to fair condition! The head coach had his first surgery and is doing well. He has spoken with many of the players and is on the mend.

The high school is a big and active one. All those kids in sports, music, various clubs—they’re all boarding those busses and keeping on with life. It’s surreal.

Last edited:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m so sad to read this. What a terrible thing to happen. Is there any explanation why the semi crossed into the path of the bus?

Kids are so resilient. They have way more ability to bounce back than adults. Sadly this may come back to affect them later on. I’m glad they are being looked after.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry for your community and for the families and friends of those lost. I always wonder how and why these things happen.:(2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results