shape
carat
color
clarity

~$3k diamond budget, opinions and/or help welcomed!

zedy44

Rough_Rock
Currently hunting for a diamond for an engagement ring. I've already worked with WF in the past, but I also recently discovered HPD and I'm open to dealing with other sources if someone wants to recommend something.

Budget
Trying to keep the diamond in the ~$3k area with either a pave or solitaire ring in white gold between $800-1200. I have a few examples of what I've found so far that caught my eye (including one ring example as well).

Current Diamond Contenders

0.704 ct F SI1
A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Diamond ($3,130)

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4027998.htm

0.65 ct F VS1
Infinity Diamond ($3,124)

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10158 https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4001989.htm

0.70 ct G SI1
Premium Select Round Cut Loose Diamond ($2,576)

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4001989.htm

Diamond-wise I was originally hunting for an ideal cut J+ eye-clean SI1+ at the largest carat I could find from either WF or HPD, but quick searches yield limited results due to my lower budget.

Current Ring Contenders

18k White Gold
Legato Micro Pave Diamond Engagement Ring ($1,134)

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...o-micro-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-1011.htm

The ring can come from anywhere I just happened to enjoy the settings on WF vs. HPD.

Any help, questions, or concerns are very much welcome!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like the G from Whiteflash, the thick arrows and tiny table just do it for me

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are considering two great vendors with outstanding upgrade policies, so that's great! One thing I'd recommend is to just stick with one vendor for both stone and setting. Anything else adds unnecessary complications. HP diamonds has an amazing bench so I think both vendors will have great stones and settings. Just a matter of who has what you are looking for.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 0.7 G SI1 PS from WF gets my vote! Beautiful face up :love:

zedy44

Rough_Rock
I really like the G from Whiteflash, the thick arrows and tiny table just do it for me

Thank you I appreciate the feedback! :twirl:

I think you are considering two great vendors with outstanding upgrade policies, so that's great! One thing I'd recommend is to just stick with one vendor for both stone and setting. Anything else adds unnecessary complications. HP diamonds has an amazing bench so I think both vendors will have great stones and settings. Just a matter of who has what you are looking for.

Potentially a controversial opinion, but Lower colors in the ACA line face up really white, especially in sub-1 carat sizes. So I would consider I or even J color. Like one of these :

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4068017.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4081350.htm

Thanks! Yes I really enjoyed my experienced with WF a few years ago (and it unexpectedly involved the use of their buy-back policy too, which went very smooth). They were super professional and on top of everything. I've heard nothing but good things about HPD as well and I really like that they specialize in super ideal round cut diamonds. It really says something about crafted by infinity when all they sell are super ideal cut rounds by them.

I really appreciate those suggestions and they look fantastic! I wasn't sure how far down the color chart I should go with white gold and potentially a pave ring. I'm not color sensitive and my better half has already informed me that she would be extremely happy if I simply gave her one of those $.25 rings from the little toy machines outside grocery stores :D. I just want to make sure I give her whatever I can with whatever I responsibly can.

The 0.7 G SI1 PS from WF gets my vote! Beautiful face up :love:

I love that one too! :P2

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
I've worked with both Whiteflash and HPD and they are both great! Since you like that setting at Whileflash, that's where you should go. I'd personally go with the largest I color diamond you can afford. You can always upgrade color later if you want.
Your soon to be fiancee sounds lovely and it's so terrific you are working so hard on getting her a beautiful ring. Best of luck to you both.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being color sensitive I'd stick with an AGS F like the 0.704 ACA or the GIA G 0.70 PS you found.

Love the small table and fat arrows on that PS!

I'd have WF pull both stones and do a side by side comparison. Maybe shoot some additional photos and videos in various light conditions and angles. Also make sure both stones are 100% eye clean.

On this size, I wouldn't spend the money on VS1 clarity personally and if all checks out with the PS that would be my first preference and let's you save 500 bucks or so.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
Might just be me, but the G looks cloudy right in the middle table of the stone and for some reason the certificate doesn't have a plot of the diamond. Since you like the setting at Whiteflash I'll echo what others have said and suggest an ACA for the entire ring. The F you listed above looks lovely. :kiss2:

zedy44

Rough_Rock
I've worked with both Whiteflash and HPD and they are both great! Since you like that setting at Whileflash, that's where you should go. I'd personally go with the largest I color diamond you can afford. You can always upgrade color later if you want.
Your soon to be fiancee sounds lovely and it's so terrific you are working so hard on getting her a beautiful ring. Best of luck to you both.

Thanks! I really appreciate the suggestions. I'm definitely browsing in that G/H/I range and I'm going to do what another member suggested and have a few diamonds pulled and do a photo compare together.

Being color sensitive I'd stick with an AGS F like the 0.704 ACA or the GIA G 0.70 PS you found.

Love the small table and fat arrows on that PS!

I'd have WF pull both stones and do a side by side comparison. Maybe shoot some additional photos and videos in various light conditions and angles. Also make sure both stones are 100% eye clean.

On this size, I wouldn't spend the money on VS1 clarity personally and if all checks out with the PS that would be my first preference and let's you save 500 bucks or so.

Thanks for the recommendation! I've started working with a woman over at WF and I've since added a few diamonds to my "wish list" that I will try and get down to just 3 and do a photo compare if they'll allow it. I agree on the clarity as well I'm trying to hunt for that "too good to be true" eye-clean lower clarity ACA, but they are few and far between in the .70-.85 range at my budget. I'm still hunting though. :mrgreen2:

I did confirm everything I've checked so far is listed as eye-clean by WF, but I'll see if my eyes can tell any difference.

Might just be me, but the G looks cloudy right in the middle table of the stone and for some reason the certificate doesn't have a plot of the diamond. Since you like the setting at Whiteflash I'll echo what others have said and suggest an ACA for the entire ring. The F you listed above looks lovely. :kiss2:

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback.

IMO, one of the heart is smaller. I'd expect 8 matching size hearts from ACA.

It might be! I was looking again last night after your comment and thought I saw similar. I still like the diamond, though I plan to do get some compare photos and look at a few contenders together to see what really stands out to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results