shape
carat
color
clarity

Zircon Gives Clues to Earth's Age, Wow!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard about it on NPR this morning and wondered the same thing.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truly amazing. I love science! I wish I understood more about what they knew to look for and how they knew a zircon was a result of the formation of the earth's crust...

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
This is SO COOL. Thanks for sharing!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Very interesting. Thanks for posting about it here.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
interesting, what an unusual looking crystal.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Yup, in the wee small hours of the night I'm reading that article on ancient zircons and start thinking; yes, that's a very reasonable excuse for adding to my shiny sparkly collection...NOT! Seriously I have seen some pretty ones. Must set spinel...must set spinel...

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
wordie89 said:
Yup, in the wee small hours of the night I'm reading that article on ancient zircons and start thinking; yes, that's a very reasonable excuse for adding to my shiny sparkly collection...NOT! Seriously I have seen some pretty ones. Must set spinel...must set spinel...

:lol: :lol: Oh yes, I know the feeling!

dzop

Shiny_Rock
This is a common form of dating. Tiny zircons are fairly ubiquitous (IIRC, they form in felsic igneous rock), and are commonly preserved in sandstones and conglomerates ( alongside far more common quartz and feldspar crystals). Because zircons can incorporate uranium into their lattice, they are easy to date with very small samples, which allows for dating using laser ablation ICP-MS, which allows the researcher to use just a pin-prick sized sample. Under the microscope, zircons are distinct and recognizable, so the process is actually straightforward, if painstaking:

(1) go to the oldest sandstone you can find
(2) take samples
(3) have grad students comb the samples for zircon grains
(4) date each zircon
(5) hope one of the zircons comes out older than any previous zircon
(6) publish!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
And you make it sound so easy, Dzop! :)) Thank you for the interesting info!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results