shape
carat
color
clarity

Zip code on wedding invitations?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Have you guys seen the zip code on a separate line on wedding invitations? I have seen it both ways, and I''m wondering why...my friend who is usually up on this stuff says it''s more traditional.

Here''s a picture of what I''m talking about.

Does anyone know what etiquette dictates? I looked around online and lots of pictures of calligraphers have it on a separate line, so I''m wondering if that''s the "correct" way to do it.

zip.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s an interesting question. I wonder if Cara is around, she always seems to know.
I''ll check the etiquette mavens tonight when I''m home if you haven''t received an answer by then.

I do know that our invites had the zip codes on a separate line at the bottom, but I''m guessing it was more a stylistic choice than anything because they were hand calligraphied.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know what''s ''proper,'' but that''s what I''ve always done in everyday envelope-addressing life!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Editorially it doesn''t matter. I personally think it looks cleaner, but I wouldn''t space the numbers out like you''ve shown I''d just write/type them out normally. I imagine in they eyes of a calligrapher, they want the extra room and so they do it on another line to be neat, clean, and most importantly consistent across all of the invitations.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 3:48:01 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Editorially it doesn''t matter. I personally think it looks cleaner, but I wouldn''t space the numbers out like you''ve shown I''d just write/type them out normally. I imagine in they eyes of a calligrapher, they want the extra room and so they do it on another line to be neat, clean, and most importantly consistent across all of the invitations.
I think this is a good point. Putting the zip code on a line all by itself makes it seem less cluttered.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 3:54:10 PM
Author: Clairitek
Date: 3/2/2009 3:48:01 PM

Author: Hudson_Hawk

I think this is a good point. Putting the zip code on a line all by itself makes it seem less cluttered.
That''s why I do it!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I also think it makes it more likely that they will get where they are going. The P.O. uses a machine to sort mail by zip codes, so having it in a separate line is probably more easily read and efficient.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
It can go either way. I think most calligraphers put it on a separate line for strictly style reasons. I address my mail with the zip on the same line as the City, State and everything makes it there just fine. I''m remembering from my school days, I think it doesn''t matter which line the zip is on, just so long as its there.

Although, to be honest I have received mail with the wrong or no zip code at all. It just takes forever. I wouldn''t suggest that with your invites.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results