shape
carat
color
clarity

You''re Expert Opinions Please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone, I am a long time lurker to this board, and I''ve finally worked up the nerve for my very first post. Anyway, I got engaged last August and I have been obsessing over my ring for quite sometime now. I am not sure I am 100% in love with the band... while the band is lovely, but I am not sure its right for my emerald cut. The diamond itself is 1.4 carats, F color, VS1 and I love it! The ratio is a little bit on the chubby side (which I prefer), as opposed to mean and lean like some emeralds. I am thinking I would love a plain solitaire setting, but do you think the diamond is big enough for a solitaire for my size 6 fingers??

DSC01332.JPG

Buffy01

Shiny_Rock
Hey Jules, very lovely ring, Emerald cuts are beautiful, and yes your stone would look beautiful in a solitaire setting. I have a 1.52 rb and I am a size 6 finger. So yes I think it would be beautiful.

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I just found yours online :) It''s beautiful
30.gif

I love the simplicity of solitaires. Thanks so much for your advice!

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not an expert, just a big fan of step cuts. I also like EC a little on the "fat" side
28.gif

I think your band is nice. How thick is it? I''m just wondering if maybe you were considering a slimmer band to make the diamond look a little bigger, but if the band is fairly thin now I wouldn''t change a thing. I think it compliments the stone nicely as it is. However the most important thing is that YOU are happy with it and if you think a simple solitaire setting would be better I think that rock would be awesome no matter what the setting.

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
Hi KCCutie! Thanks for the reply :)

The band is 3.5mm, so to me that is pretty thick, esp with my little ''fatty'' emerald. I think it makes the stone look even wider with the knife edge...?

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
I feel like the stone may look larger in a thin banded solitaire. Maybe some small baguettes? I''m not a fan of thick bands at all though.

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
That stone with a plain band = perfection! I am a HUGE fan of solitaire settings...they are just so clean and yummy! I think it would also make you stone look bigger, not that you need to with your rock! Just another plus for the plain ol'' band!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that look! Then again I have a fatter EC on a wider band
2.gif

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is absolutely beautiful. I think sometimes the only way to truly know if it''s your hearts desire is to try a variety of styles in person . . . sometimes what I love visually is not what I end up loving on ME (kind of like loving somebody else''s perfume
1.gif
) -- if you think you would like a solitaire setting, give it a try-on and see. (love that stone!)

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/29/2008 10:02:28 PM
Author: babysteps
Your ring is absolutely beautiful. I think sometimes the only way to truly know if it''s your hearts desire is to try a variety of styles in person . . . sometimes what I love visually is not what I end up loving on ME (kind of like loving somebody else''s perfume
1.gif
) -- if you think you would like a solitaire setting, give it a try-on and see. (love that stone!)
LOL! How true that is. I almost always end up loving someone ELSE''S emerald or asscher cut, even though I''m a round or cushion person myself.

I think it would be gorgeous in a setting with tapered baguettes on either side. If I ever get an emerald cut it will be in that setting - a classic IMO. Yum!

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
First of all, JULESBETH, any of us would LOVE to have your ring..ha...so, CONGRATS!!!!

Now, it seems like you''ve been pondering it for a long time, which means you are NOT completely happy...which should be the answer you''re looking for. If you were totally satisfied, you''d still be obsessed with oogling your chubby beauty (I''m TOTALLY into ''fat'' EC''s)...but you wouldn''t spend your time wondering if the setting was perfect. It''s obviously not ''the one'' for you, no matter how many opinions you get here.
I''m pretty obsessive, so I''d be the same way...so I can imagine how you feel.
If you have the option of something else, I say try on EC''S with other settings til one sings to you. A thin pave band (with your existing side stones) would look unbelievable!!!!!!
Hey, girls, who is it that has the stunning EC on the super, super thin band? I can''t believe I can''t remember...
help me out here!!!!!

No matter what, though, you have a real beauty there...so happy for you!

GemALLogist

Shiny_Rock
Gosh, where are my manners, JULES...
I''m hosting a party in the ''ECs...Show Me Some LIFE" thread...for all step cut lovers...
looking for anything EC (or asscher) related...especially pictures that show that step cuts are, contrary to popular opinion, real ''performers'' ...
please head on over....we''d love you to join us. All you have to bring is your spectacular ring!!!
emwink.gif

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
Aw I love you guys! I am going to a jeweler today to see some solitaires and see what he thinks. I''ll keep you posted! :)

Thanks so much for your help!!

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, just back from the jeweler. He was so nice and didn''t try to sway me into getting a new setting or keeping the existing one. BBBuuutttt I think I really do need it in a solitaire, the diamonds from my current setting can be made into my wedding band, so really the only thing I have left to do IS TALK TO MY FIANCE!!! Y i k e s. What should I say? I don''t want to hurt his feelings, anyone been through this? Words of wisdom are needed.

Thanks
25.gif

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
I think your ring is beautiful as is but if you want it in a solitaire I say do what makes YOU happy. I bet your FI will understand, I would just be really honest and tell him how you feel and why. I always tell my FI exactly what''s on my mind and explain why I feel that way and he usually always understands.

Good luck!

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
Well, did your FI pick out this setting for you and surprise you with it or were you in on the decision? Just so we have the whole story.
28.gif

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I had picked out the setting, but at the time it was a 2mm band. When he bought the ring I was not there and he upgraded the band to the bigger size (3.5mm) cause in the world of diamonds bigger = better.... not the case. I didn''t mind it at first, I was just so excited to finally be engaged (we have dated since High School, college, and 3 years of his law school). But now I feel its just too thick for me, and takes away from my fabulous diamond. I am thinking since I basically picked it out, I can''t really hurt his feelings too much..?? Or maybe I can
7.gif

P.S. He proposed last August while we were on vacation, he had just taken the bar so we were celebrating in Costa Rica. It was so perfect :) he did it on a little private beach while the tide was coming in. sigh...
17.gif

ring costa.jpg

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
This was our view on the engagement day! :)

engageview.jpg

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no. I look like an idiot. It should be, Your Expert Opinions Please! Not you''re... whoooops
14.gif

Sarah@GOG

Rough_Rock
I think putting that in a Solitaire setting will put more attention on the Emerald cut center stone. And that size is great for your finger size.

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/30/2008 3:58:23 PM
Author: julesbeth
Well, I had picked out the setting, but at the time it was a 2mm band. When he bought the ring I was not there and he upgraded the band to the bigger size (3.5mm) cause in the world of diamonds bigger = better.... not the case. I didn''t mind it at first, I was just so excited to finally be engaged (we have dated since High School, college, and 3 years of his law school). But now I feel its just too thick for me, and takes away from my fabulous diamond. I am thinking since I basically picked it out, I can''t really hurt his feelings too much..?? Or maybe I can
7.gif

P.S. He proposed last August while we were on vacation, he had just taken the bar so we were celebrating in Costa Rica. It was so perfect :) he did it on a little private beach while the tide was coming in. sigh...
17.gif

LOL I don''t think Bigger=Better is just a world of diamonds thing I think it''s also a MAN thing. I don''t think he''ll be too upset especially if you want to use the diamonds in your wedding band. You''re not being wasteful and it is what you originally wanted. Maybe tell him you''ve decided you want to have diamonds in your wedding band and think that would be too much with the current e-ring setting... although you think it''s very sweet that he upgraded from what you originally picked out. Then suggest resetting the gorgeous EC into a solitaire and using the diamonds in the wedding band. I think it''s a win/win you get what you really want and he saves on the wedding band to go with it.
31.gif

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
Yip skip! I talked to my fiance last night about it and he was like, ok. :)

I don''t think he was SUPER excited about it, but TOTALLY understands. I love him
18.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2008 10:25:25 AM
Yip skip! I talked to my fiance last night about it and he was like, ok. :)

I don''t think he was SUPER excited about it, but TOTALLY understands. I love him
18.gif
Thats great news Julesbeth, good to hear. Thats sweet about your Fi being cool with it - he sounds alot like mine - not really keen on the whole diamonds discussions but wants me to do what makes me happy, lol
1.gif

Can''t wait to see what it looks like after, it''ll be nice that you finally really love your ring.

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
I got my ring back! It''s amazing and I LOVE it! Thanks for all your help everyone :)

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2008 3:56:18 PM
I got my ring back! It''s amazing and I LOVE it! Thanks for all your help everyone :)
Fantastic! Do you have pics to post?

Can''t wait to see it!

LollyBear

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, please post pics!!

Have you considered putting another stone in that gorgeous setting instead of taking it apart? Maybe your birthstone or something? That would be yummy!!

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have any fab pics yet... its sunny out today so i''ll try to take some this weekend :)

I think I am going to use the diamonds in the band as my wedding ring. I just want a single row of diamonds for the band and i have like .4 in the old set... its worth a try!

Thanks for your help everyone!!!

DSC01432.JPG

disneybride

Shiny_Rock
Honestly, I have to say that your new band does a LOT more for your diamond than the old setting. Your diamond is the center of attention now, and the thickness of the new band is perfect. I absolutely love it - simple and perfect.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
That looks awesome. The new setting really highlights your emerald cut intstead of visually cutting into it. A diamond band is a great way to use your diamonds. Can''t wait to see the whole set!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks gorgeous! I really love the new setting, it compliments your stone beautifully!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results