shape
carat
color
clarity

Your valuable opinions on this... Please!

dgw1986

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and am looking to get your opinions please - if I may!

So, I'm going to be proposing to my girl in the next couple of months and she has given me complete liberty to choose the ring without any input from her. However, she wants something that is eye-catching and attention-grabbing, and that people will notice. So after a lot of searching, I am leaning towards the ring in the photo I have attached. As you can see it is a round stone, but I can also do princess cut in the same setting. She likes both princess and round cuts.

I would be so grateful if you could give your honest opinions, please.

Thank you so much.

_13749.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's pretty but I would keep it round.

Sidius

Rough_Rock
It's definitely a beautiful setting and I am sure she would love it. That will have lots of sparkle! I also agree with the last response about sticking with a round diamond. They face up larger than a princess, although they're a bit more expensive than princess cuts.

carabella

Shiny_Rock
I also think rounds are your best bet for this kind of ring. Very pretty!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting is very pretty. Mine is similar. I agree with the other posters and stick with a round. Also, make sure the stone is GIA or AGL certified, and the seller has a good upgrade policy. Some will require you to spend 2x the price of the original stone. Others, just something more expensive.

Look at Brian Gavin Diamonds, Whiteflash, and Good Old Gold (Actually B&M but strong online presence) if you want trustworthy, reputable on-line sellers favored here on PS. Even if you have picked out a stone, it might be worth it to check these sites for the sake of comparing. These places have the best cuts. Good luck and let us know what you go with!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1389930180|3594432 said:
The setting is very pretty. Mine is similar. I agree with the other posters and stick with a round. Also, make sure the stone is GIA or AGL certified, and the seller has a good upgrade policy. Some will require you to spend 2x the price of the original stone. Others, just something more expensive.

Look at Brian Gavin Diamonds, Whiteflash, and Good Old Gold (Actually B&M but strong online presence) if you want trustworthy, reputable on-line sellers favored here on PS. Even if you have picked out a stone, it might be worth it to check these sites for the sake of comparing. These places have the best cuts. Good luck and let us know what you go with!

Agree with all of this. Don't buy a setting before the diamond. Wait and get the setting from your diamond vendor whenever possible.

I will add, though, if she wants something that really attracts attention, I'd go with a halo setting.

dgw1986

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input everyone. Appreciate it. So I will almost certainly go with the round diamond.

Next dilemma! So that I meet the budget I am working to, for the centre stone I can one of the following: either a 1 carat, F, SI2, GIA cert. Or a 0.9 carat, F, SI1, GIA cert.

I feel like I should go with the first option - what do you think?

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I would reach for the carat if I could, as it is a traditional weight for an Engagement ring.
SI2 can be a little tricky, just make sure you find one that is genuinely eye clean.
It is possible. But take a little care.
Please note, eye cleanliness is judged from a face up view only.

You may get advice to drop colour.
Certainly, I would consider dropping to a G to achieve your carat weight.
And of course, having the stone 'approved' by the holloway cut advisor tool would be handy reassurance when buying sight unseen.
Great cut is the gift that keeps on giving in terms of long term appreciation of the diamond.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your diamond shopping! :)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Laraonline - drop the color to a G and go with a 1ct G SI1. Personally, I have an H colored stone and it's lovely and white - from all angles.

And ditto everyone else on the round vs the princess cut. Rounds are a classic and are always in style.

If you're buying sight unseen, make sure you talk to whoever is selling you the stone to make sure it's eye clean. All the reputable diamond retailers that people use here on PS will help you out in this way. Blue Nile and James Allen, also, will give you an objective opinion.

Agree also with the halo setting. Nothing brings the bling like a halo! (Just fyi - a halo is a circle of small diamonds that surround the center stone). A number of popular PS vendors have halos style settings. Worth checking them out; if your girl wants to draw the eye, you can't really beat that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results