shape
carat
color
clarity

Your thoughts on this diamond? New here...could use help :)

Scout2018

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I am new here. I am wondering if you all can give me your opinion. I have the opportunity to upgrade my 1.61 SI1 I color round engagement ring (currently set in the Tiffany Embrace Halo) to a larger stone and re-make the ring.

We can not afford the perfect stones - but the stone we have identified was beautiful when we looked at it in store with various lighting changes, outside in sunny weather and cloudy weather. We are not so concerned with what it looks like under a microscope, rather, just a nice diamond to replace my current one and create a nice heirloom for our daughter when she is older.

The potential "new diamond" is:

2.8 Carats
9.00-9.06x5.57mm
Color:I
Clarity: SI2
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Sym: Excellent
Depth: 61.7%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 35.5
Crown Height: 15.5%
Girdle: Medium
Cutlet: None
Clarity Characteristic: Twinning Wisp, Feather
Fluorescence: None

Is this a nice diamond to wear in a halo setting and also a nice diamond to pass down to my daughter? Again, I don't need a Mercedes of diamonds. I need a Toyota - one that works hard, looks nice, and you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Of course with increasing from 1.6 carats form 2.8 you can see I appreciate the larger size vs. a perfectly clear diamond. I compared to a nicer diamond 2.5 carat in store and could not tell the difference?

Just looking for some words of advice - thought etc... My situation would be a trade in.

Thanks!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pics? With an si2 they are a must

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree. Pics and clarity plot please.

Also, what is pavilion angle? Working backwards mathematically using proportional data already shared you should have about 43.2% in the pavilion depth.

GIA stones typically report as:
  • 42.5% = 40.6 pavilion angle
  • 43% = 40.8 pavilion angle
  • 43.5% = 41 pavilion angle
My best guess based on this information is around 40.8 to 40.9.

This could be a potential problem as you are stacking a steeper pavilion with a steep crown. At 35.5 crown I'd like to see a more complimentary and shallower 40.6 pavilion. If the stone isn't well cut you may experience some obstruction or leakage.

Do you have a picture and video you can share? If the diamond is on reserve you could simply share a web link.

Depending on the vendor, you may be able to get an idealscope or ASET image which would also tell us a little more. A hearts image would be great too if available.

Scout2018

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your kind responses! Here is the information requested to help further discussion. Pictures coming next.

@sledge It looks like the pavilion angle is 40.6 --- exactly what you wanted to see I believe.

Point of clarification, it is a J. Not I color.

Second point of clarification, I don't need perfect. I just don't want a dud.

https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=6252472331
ROUND BRILLIANT
Measurements
9.00 - 9.06 x 5.57 mm
Carat Weight
2.80 carat
Color Grade
J
Clarity Grade
SI2
Cut Grade
Excellent
PROPORTIONS
Depth
61.7 %
Table
57 %
Crown Angle
35.5°
Crown Height
15.5%
Pavilion Angle
40.6°
Pavilion Depth
43.0%
Star Length
50%
Lower Half
75%
Girdle
Medium, Faceted, 3.5%
Culet
None

FINISH
Polish
Excellent
Symmetry
Excellent
FLUORESCENCE
Fluorescence
None
CLARITY CHARACTERISTICS
Clarity Characteristics
Twinning Wisp, Feather
Key To Symbols
TwinningWisp.jpg
Twinning Wisp
Feather.jpg
Feather

COMMENTS

Additional twinning wisps, pinpoints and surface graining are not shown.

Scout2018

Rough_Rock
IMG_5786.jpg

THIS IS NOT MY SETTING - IT WAS JUST FOR PLACEMENT ONLY PURPOSES

IMG_5773.jpg IMG_5767.jpg IMG_5775.jpg

IT IS THE LARGER STONE OF THE TWO

Attachments

• IMG_5767.jpg
    IMG_5767.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5773.jpg
    IMG_5773.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 14

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would pass since the inclusions are just too visible to me. I feel like my eyes are being hit by them, and I'm usually someone who likes SI stones bc of value.

Scout2018

Rough_Rock
@lovedogs (first love your user name). Second, can you show me where the inclusions are? They are really that bad? I am not a "diamond person" I don't look for the flaws and don't necessarily care - once on the hand they all look the same to me unless you have an Emerald Cut or something.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
Agree. Pics and clarity plot please.

Also, what is pavilion angle? Working backwards mathematically using proportional data already shared you should have about 43.2% in the pavilion depth.

GIA stones typically report as:
  • 42.5% = 40.6 pavilion angle
  • 43% = 40.8 pavilion angle
  • 43.5% = 41 pavilion angle
My best guess based on this information is around 40.8 to 40.9..

@sledge that is impressive detective work!!! bravo!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!

Gosh I would also pass on that stone. Those are very eye visible inclusions to me. Theoretically twinning wisps are meant to be a very favourable inclusion type, but the fact it's the twinning wisps that are grade setting the SI2 with additional characteristics not shown likely mean the very structure of the diamond is all a bit wonky. Light therefore doesn't pass through the material of the diamond in a straight line and your eyes can see it. My eyes can certainly see it. It may not bother you now but it might drive you nuts in the future.

I know you want a Toyota and not a Rolls Royce, but you're looking at a huge diamond here and I can't imagine your budget is overly small. What we don't want is for you to spend your budget on a Toyota but really be getting a... a... Well I have my own personal opinion about rubbish cars but it seems risky to voice them :lol:.

I presume you're buying through Tiffany? Do they sell SI2? Maybe not therefore. What's your budget and who are you buying through? We could perhaps give you some slightly more firm rules about what to request of them and find you a great stone that doesn't have to be perfect but is a better heirloom for your daughter. :geek2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results