shape
carat
color
clarity

Your thoughts on dyed black pearls?

caro40

Shiny_Rock
movie zombie said:
caro, i'm so loving that SS strand of yours....and it looks so good on you! loving the lariat look: how long is this lariat rope?

geez, its an understatement that I want them all.

I just measured it and including the clasp it's just under 45 inches. So I added more than I thought. Thank you for the compliment, I'm still playing with it and I'm hoping the basket clasp gives me more flexibility in ways to wear it.

caro40

Shiny_Rock
4Ranch Girl said:
Caro thank you for the new pictures :appl: :appl: :appl: I am in love and have serious pearl envy with that strand. You are one lucky girl :wavey:

I know, I am lucky - thank you. I have only come to pearls recently and kind of jumped in at the deep end. I got really lucky by wandering into a pearl loving jeweller's place first off, and I have only realised afterward (having wandered into other shops to see what else is out there) that I found the one place (so far) with the perfect pearls for me, and at good prices.

I am truly envious of you and others who get to go to Pearl Paradise and see all the beautiful pearls in person - the options here are much more limited and I'm not sure I could have gone the leap of faith to spend thousands online without seeing what I love in person. It's so hard to read pearls from photographs....

I have been admiring your collection 4Ranch Girl, I have been avidly reading these pages (and the other forum) and even have your page bookmarked to come back to! You have beautiful pearls and fabulous taste and I am personally really pleased that you took the time to ask about my new purchase and that you like it! Thanks :)

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
aprilzephyr The Pearl Girls (online) has some lovely pics of dyed black CFWP and just posted an update on their FB page that they are running out! I would definitely wear a rope and imagine that PP's are beautiful! I have a black akoya strand from PP on my wishlist :naughty:

aprilzephyr

Rough_Rock
I just had a look, LitGeek - thanks for that! Their photos on real life models are really helpful, re sizing and colors.

PP got back to me and showed me some baroque Tahitians within my budget with a photo next to the black FW strands I'm (still) considering. Of the two baroque strands, the right appeals to me most colorwise (though nothing compared to the amazing Tahitians you gals have), but the length is still only 18" and I just sadly returned my shorter CC strand as the length wasn't working for me... a shame because I loved the purple metallics ;(
pp_baroque_fwblack.jpg

caro40

Shiny_Rock
Do you like the dyed freshwaters? I think they are really pretty and PP certainly seems like the place to trust. I have to admit that I like my dyed pearls from Catherine as much as I like my Tahitians and SS rope. I am at home today and wearing the Catherine strand so i can marvel at it and the colours are gorgeous. Good quality dyed are totally worth it from my perspective.

Then again, if you are only buying dyed freshwaters as a substitute for Tahitians I wonder if you'd ultimately regret it because they just aren't the same. I completely agree with others who have said that you should buy what you love, at the best quality you can afford. If your heart is set on Tahitians then maybe a longer tin cup is the way to go if you want the length.

What does your gut tell you?

aprilzephyr

Rough_Rock
Caro, I do like the dyed FW - they're quite interesting and beautiful in a different way from the Tahitians. Also, I'm really liking the blues on these FW strands, and blue is an overtone (as I understand it) that is usually associated with treated dark pearls (Tahitians included) as it rarely occurs naturally. But that said, my gut is undecided - I think I gave myself until this Sunday as a deadline to decide. I'm also considering a natural deep lavender CC strand (I went back to her site after seeing your black strand)... LoL. I must admit whatever I decide, this exercise was quite fruitful - I've learned quite a bit about dark pearls and got to see some beautiful strands along the way.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Aprilzephyr, Thank you for asking for this photo. Anytime we can see actual photos items to compare it's a GOOD day. I haven't seen this combination before. The only way it could have been better, would be if they had added dyed akoya to the mix.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
aprilzephyr|1367560636|3439413 said:
Caro, I do like the dyed FW - they're quite interesting and beautiful in a different way from the Tahitians. Also, I'm really liking the blues on these FW strands, and blue is an overtone (as I understand it) that is usually associated with treated dark pearls (Tahitians included) as it rarely occurs naturally. But that said, my gut is undecided - I think I gave myself until this Sunday as a deadline to decide. I'm also considering a natural deep lavender CC strand (I went back to her site after seeing your black strand)... LoL. I must admit whatever I decide, this exercise was quite fruitful - I've learned quite a bit about dark pearls and got to see some beautiful strands along the way.

A deep lavender CC strands sounds excellent. I have a 24" multicolor CC strands with lots of lavender in it and love it.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
caro40|1367486657|3438630 said:
4Ranch Girl said:
Caro thank you for the new pictures :appl: :appl: :appl: I am in love and have serious pearl envy with that strand. You are one lucky girl :wavey:

I know, I am lucky - thank you. I have only come to pearls recently and kind of jumped in at the deep end. I got really lucky by wandering into a pearl loving jeweller's place first off, and I have only realised afterward (having wandered into other shops to see what else is out there) that I found the one place (so far) with the perfect pearls for me, and at good prices.

I am truly envious of you and others who get to go to Pearl Paradise and see all the beautiful pearls in person - the options here are much more limited and I'm not sure I could have gone the leap of faith to spend thousands online without seeing what I love in person. It's so hard to read pearls from photographs....

I have been admiring your collection 4Ranch Girl, I have been avidly reading these pages (and the other forum) and even have your page bookmarked to come back to! You have beautiful pearls and fabulous taste and I am personally really pleased that you took the time to ask about my new purchase and that you like it! Thanks :)
Thank you Caro but after you have been collecting pearls as long as I have your collection will rival mine. Just buy what you love and you won't go wrong.

aprilzephyr

Rough_Rock
So I did end up buying the 7.5-8mm 35" black dyed freshwaters in the end from PP and I went with AAA because I preferred the roundness and smoother surfaces. I only received it 2 days ago - first impressions: the colors in the box def wow'ed me. I'm not in love with it like I am with my CC rope (which continues to impress me) - maybe it's because in black, 7.5-8mm appear smaller or maybe the length is just still a bit too short. I am not sure, but I will definitely think on it, try it with different outfits, etc. eta* the colors IRL show lots of purples but it's definitely in the cool part of the color spectrum with silver blues, silver greys etc.

Also, not sure if you guys can see it but the silk string is frayed towards the 2nd to last pearl from the clasp... To the pearl experts out there, what's the best way to secure that frayed string? Scissors? :confused: I don't have scissors small enough to cut it - not a huge deal as I'm sure I can find one, but it would've been nice not have to find one in the first place...

img_1829.jpg
img_1834.jpg
img_1838.jpg
img_1839.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
love your new strand and think it would "twist" with your CC strand into a lovely piece!

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Aprilzephyr,

Your new black pearls are gorgeous! Color treated and dyed pearls offer variations unavailable in natural colors. I personally enjoy wearing them, but realize it is a matter of personal taste.

As for the piece of silk thread, perhaps you have a friend who sews that would be willing to snip it for you. (We who sew, or have sewed, own sharp little scissors with fine points.)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Beadsmith Thread Zap would do it, if you have one...or use pointy tweezers to hold it and a sharp razor knife to trim it. But be careful to only trim the loose end!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Your dyed freshwaters are absolutely beautiful! I love the colors in it and the size you went with is perfect :appl: :appl: :appl: :love: :love: :love: Enjoy!

AnnaGraceDreamPearls

Rough_Rock
Trade
Most dyed black pearls use white pearls with lower grading in roundness, color and luster with of course inclusions (the rings around the pearls) to get treated or dyed. Dyed pearls of either freshwater or saltwater are nice when freshly purchased and will become dull and losing luster over time. The luster on the dyed pearls are more uniform without naturally changing color and without the overtone halo effect. Nearly 70 to 80% world's black pearls are somewhat treated or dyed. Because there are very few naturally black pearls. They are rare crops. Most pearls now are harvest under control environment to guarantee higher harvest rate.

The premium natural black pearls I have seen and we carry are coal black or ink black, round or near round with peacock or cherry halo effect overtone without any flaws or inclusions (rings). It shines even under dim light. Purchase on dyed or natural pearls are purely personal choice. But for investment point of view, paying for a non-dyed natural pearls are much more worth than the dyed pearls.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results