shape
carat
color
clarity

Your sweet spot for diamond stud earrings? Why?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right now I'm wearing my diamond studs nearly everyday. I've started thinking about an upgrade and have started the process of looking to see what I can afford. They are the only stones I wear on a daily basis and while they are sweet looking and a go-to staple, I want something a bit more POW!

I currently wear 0.71 ctw OECs which measure approx 4.35mm across. I'm considering 1.20 - 1.50 ctw earrings, OECs, and hoping to get approx 5.4-5.7mm across. I've looked at the earring thread and still just can't decide what I might want.

I do plan to look at a couple of pairs (can't try on pierced earrings over here) - but in London there just aren't the stores there are in the US. Or maybe there are and I either haven't found them or don't feel comfortable in them.

What's your sweet spot for earrings and why? What look at your trying to achieve? Do you wear them for everyday or are they blingy for going out?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Addy! I think 1.5 ctw sounds like a lovely upgrade! I just got my studs so I don't have a ton of experience wearing different sizes, but I first considered a set about the same size as yours (.6-.65 ctw). I was thinking of the earrings in proportion to my e-ring, which is a .55 square radiant and about 4.75mms square. The studs I actually got are 1 ctw and seem huge to me since they are each the same size as my e-ring diamond, but they are bezel set, which I think adds a bit of visual size and frames the diamond nicely. I've worn them every day since I got them, and have thought about getting dangly earring jackets someday to add to them for fancier occasions. I don't wear a lot of 'fashion' jewelry, so my gold and diamonds really do a lot of work. :cheeky: I guess the 'look' I'm going for is classic and realistic, though I don't think anyone in my real life would think these are real (unless they know about my sparkly obsession) since they are so out of proportion with my ring.

One idea: get some fakeys in the sizes you are considering so you can compare side by side and on your ears.

ETA: I'd go jewelry shopping with you in London anytime! Too bad I'm in the states. :wink2:

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
1.5 ctw would be my ideal (I have 1.1 now).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had 1.5 ctw first and now I have 1.3 ctw at about 5.6mm each. They are the perfect size for me in that they are modest in size but still large enough to wear anytime. But anywhere between 1.3 and 1.5 is good for me. You just see a big spike in price once you go to .70 and above. The best value in that size range was in the .60's, I found. But it takes a little more patience to wait for a matched pair in that size since they are not as common.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS - tell me about it! I set non-matching ones (one transitional? and one OEC) while I continued to look for a match. About 18 months after I started looking, it came along. My earrings are perfect - I can't tell them apart at all even though they are a slightly different colour (H-I), clarity (VS2-SI1) and size, varies about 0.02mm. I feel a was very lucky and just up for the hunt. But in larger sizes, it's even harder as they're less common. Decisions, decisions.

Rubybeth - classic, yes, a good look! I don't want to go too large, especially I was considering having them bezelled. I love the look of your new bezels!!

Central - how big are you 1.1 ctw in mms? Are yours the ones in your avatar? They're lovely!

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
1 ctw. Everyone's earlobes are different; I find that anything larger than that doesn't seem to sit right on my earlobes.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I have about 0.80 ctw in and I like that they are big enough to be noticed but small enough to wear daily. I never take them out. I would have worn them to my wedding if I owned them at the time.

Sky makes a good point, though. Everyone's earlobes are different sizes so what might look "too big" on one earlobe will look perfect for daily wear on another earlobe.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Best advice here is to try some CZs of the size you think you might like for a bit to see how they look on you. It won't be exactly the same but will give you an idea. One problem is that czs look worse the bigger they are and in the size you are looking at may look too big, where real ones in that size would be fine.

Another think I did when I was looking for mine was to read through the Show Me Your Diamond Earrings thread in SMTB. It really did give me an idea of what different sizes looked like on people.

It's hard to give advice about sizes of earrings for people you don't know personally as their style, personality, size of their earlobes, size of their heads and their hairstyles and other jewelry can make what is best for each person quite different. I have seen people who looked wonderful in .50 ctw and who probably shouldn't wear any bigger and I have seen people who sported 3 carat total weight and it was not too much for them. The size that the most people that I know seems to have is either .25 or .33 ctw for daily wear--but this is a quiet country area.
I can tell you that my mother has the size you are looking for--1.3 ctw, .65 each in white gold. They attract attention because they are beautiful but are definitely not too much for daily wear (for her). Also, I have 1.81 ctw and honestly, when we are both wearing our earrings, you do not notice the difference in size, hers look very comparable. Only when we take them off and hold them right together can you really tell that mine are substantially larger (25 points bigger each, I think, though my math skills are terrible). So 1.3 ctw is definitely enough for a big, but still classy look.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well as I am a stunt double for Dumbo I like my 3.41tcw studs, I still have my 2ctw studs but I don't wear them. I went from 6mm to 7.5mm and I still have earlobe to spare. That said I also like little baby studs, I have a pair that are .5ctw in a thin bezel that I like to wear when I don't want earrings in and need to keep my holes open.

Take this all with a grain of salt, I have friends with smaller earlobes who have borrowed studs from me and the visual impact doubles on their petite ears...lucky!
Hate to say this but I think studs size is like e-ring size it depends on the canvas you plan on pairing the stone(s) with. (So does the way your earrings are set.)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pair of 0.87 ctw milgrain bezeled studs. I wear them every other day, and alternate them with a variety of huggies. I work at a firm that is a bit more conservative in dress, despite a "business casual" attire/atmosphere, so to me, they're just big enough without being obtrusive.

Have you considered earring jackets like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Round-4-0mm...594?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0da0dc3a

It lets you have the option of 2 different looks with the same pair of earrings!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that everyone has their own preference as to their "sweet spot" for studs, which is largely dependent on the size of their earlobes, as well as the length and style of their hair. I'm another one with huge earlobes and I find that my 4.649ctw studs (approx 2.3ct each) are just nice for everyday wear (though I could totally rock 6ctw studs! :twirl: ). I did try 2ctw and 1.4ctw studs and found that they disappeared into my lobes and got hidden behind my hair.

I know someone with larger earlobes who wears 6ctw studs and to be absolutely honest, they look like 4ctw on her lobes.

My BFF has tiny lobes and she wears 1.5ctw studs and they look monstrous on her!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Addy|1315492674|3012688 said:
DS - tell me about it! I set non-matching ones (one transitional? and one OEC) while I continued to look for a match. About 18 months after I started looking, it came along. My earrings are perfect - I can't tell them apart at all even though they are a slightly different colour (H-I), clarity (VS2-SI1) and size, varies about 0.02mm. I feel a was very lucky and just up for the hunt. But in larger sizes, it's even harder as they're less common. Decisions, decisions.

Rubybeth - classic, yes, a good look! I don't want to go too large, especially I was considering having them bezelled. I love the look of your new bezels!!

Central - how big are you 1.1 ctw in mms? Are yours the ones in your avatar? They're lovely!

Yes - those are them! They are ~5.3mm. They are a good size. I plan on upgrading in size, but honestly when I look in the mirror I have good ear coverage so I don't know if I will!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 1ctw studs. They are GORGEOUS stones in lovely settings... and I've worn them exactly four times since I got them last year (or maybe the year before?) - including once at my wedding.

They're just too small on my ears, to my eyes! Lobe and finger sizes definitely do not necessarily correlate. I like coloured stone studs that are smaller just fine, oddly enough... I'm currently on the lookout for a mate to my new 1.2ct - and that'll be more than big enough.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
1.5 in Round Brilliants. But OEC's at 2 ctw would be even better.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MIne are 1.2 tcw and to me they are perfect for every occasion - So I just wear them 24/7!!

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
I wear WF G/SI1 1.2 ctw studs daily .but I want a more blingy look occasionally so I am thinking of buying WF stud earring jackets .

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
There is a set of CZ earrings on Overstock. 5 pairs of earrings 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 mm. I hope the mods will forgive me for posting these since it is in service of eventually buying diamond studs. These earrings are no substitute for real studs, but they are perfect for choosing a carat size.

http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Wa...ings-Set-of-5/3998865/product.html?rcmndsrc=2

Overstock apparently ships to the UK... Pleeeease buy this set or similar before you drop a bundle on studs that you later decide are the wrong size!

I got this set and it helped me decide that I wanted to go bigger than 4mm/0.5 ctw but smaller than 5mm/1 ctw. So I got studs about 4.5mm/0.7 ctw and they are perfect! (I agree with the poster who said there's no relationship between finger size and lobe size... I have huge man hands but tiny earlobes!)

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
My diamond studs happen to be .34 point each F/VS2 asschers.

This was unintentional as I definitely do not need that kind of color/clarity on diamond stud earrings. If I were buying diamond stud earrings, I would go with H-I-J/SI1-SI2 and be perfectly happy!

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Another thing to consider is the style of earrings. Baskets look horrible and droopy on me, which is why I prefer martini studs. The CZ test run is a good idea. If you have a Fred Meyer nearby they have nice looking CZ earrings (not the crappy cut ones) in their GNW brand that are also excellent for people who have nickle allergies.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sky56 - I know! I wish that different sized earlobe thing just wasn't the case, would make this so much easier :wink2:

Clairitek - I like how much you love your earrings! I haven't been taking mine out, except to clean them, for the past couple of weeks, and am starting to wonder if maybe I just don't have DSS and need a break from them. I'd always talked about buying another pair someday, but like you I've always been pleased and happy with them until the last couple of weeks.

Black Jade - that is the best thread! It's the only thread I look at every time I log on! I do think getting a couple pairs of cheapies may help so think I'll set about getting 5mm, 5.25mm, and 5.5mm if I can find them. I may even try for 5.75 - 6mm as the local jeweler has a great OMC right now which is 5.8mm. Holding it up to my ear just isn't the same!

cokitty - thank you! Your post is exactly why I'm asking other what look they are going for. I'm sure your 3.41ctw are lovely and I wouldn't pass them up if given to me, but I know I want earlobe to spare around the edges. For me, I like that look better. It sounds like you're heading for enough stone to cover the earlobe? I'm sure they'll be stunning!

PintoBean - may I ask, how large are you 0.87ctw with the bezels? I still haven't decided on setting, I really like my current martinis. Those aren't bad at all for jackets - thanks for the link! It's something to consider in the months and years it's likely to take me to find a match if I go for old cut stones!

Phoenix - I'm glad you stopped by, I've always admired your jewellery collection! I think BlackJade and others are right, cheapies are the way to go to determine size!

centralsquare - Thank you! That's how I feel, I think. In my hands they're small, but when I catch them in the mirror they are so sparkly that I just love them. I wouldn't get rid of my current ones. I'd probably still keep them as a daily earring, they're a great size for classic and understated, but I don't wear much other jewellery and with my chin length curly brown hair I feel like they aren't as noticeable sometimes as I'd like.

Yssie - a mate to your 1.2?! 2.4ctw! Wow, I can't wait to see those babies pop up in the earring thread!!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy - 2ctw sounds lovely! I wonder what that'd look like on! May I ask, what makes you think these sizes are your sweet spot? I've figured out that I'm definitely not a cover my entire earlobe person and someone above mentioned not wanting the earring to stick out too far either. Such things to consider!

motownmama & jeweln - I'm surprised at the number of people on this thread who have 1.2ctw. Or maybe that's just what I'm seeking out since this seems to be the size that I'm aiming toward in my searches. Jeweln, why are you considering earring jackets rather than changing the earring? I've started thinking I could just jacket them, cheaper and easier, but I really think I just want a 2nd pair of larger ones.

karpouzi - perfect, thank you!! Having a 5 and a 6mm is sure to be helpful. I think I'll still keep my eyes open for something between those sizes, but these are so inexpensive and a good way to decide!

Mayk - ohhh, beautiful! I keep looking at the JBEG site hoping! I currently have I's (uncert) and love the colour so have been thinking about searching for a I-K. I love the colour yours are showing from the side! Do you have any face-on photos of the earrings in your ears?

Tanzigrrl - Asschers! Definitely not a shape you see everyday! I'll swing by the earring thread again and keep a look out for yours. How large to 0.34 carat asschers face up?

Sparkly Blonde - Alas, no FM, I'm in the UK. My current studs are 3-prong martini and it's between those the bezels. My heart always seen to lay with the bezels, but the cost and concern about sparkle stops me. I really like my current 3-prongs so I know those work on me!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My studs are 1.10ctw, one is an I SI2 and one is a J VS2. I was aiming for something about 5.5mm, I-J colour and eyeclean SI, and I was lucky to get just that! I normally wouldn't have bothered paying for a VS2, but it was a perfect match for, and not much more pricey than, the I SI2. They look WHITE white when worn, and are Whiteflash ACAs, so of course sparkle like mad! They are in 3 prong martinis which I adore.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I had a pair of 1.75 tcw round brilliants (purchased before PS) that I sold b/c I rarely wore them...they just looked too big. My lobes are tiny and the holes are slightly uneven (d*mn the pediatrician who pierced my ears!), so they always looked wrong to me. I am hoping to find some OECs that I can bezel and put in a European closure kind of earring so that they'll dangle below my lobe. Hoping that will look better with my earlobes.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree everyone's perception is different plus ear lobes are different sizes and shapes. I have smaller ear lobes and my pierce holes are in the exact same spot so the larger the stud the more you notice that. I have .72 ctw and think they look fine on my ears. The largest I can go is 1 ctw without looking bad on me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results