shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Opinion- Recreating a Ring that You Already Have with Different Gems

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like DK to re-create my diamond ring with blue sapphires (in avatar) but instead of sapphires he would be using natural rubies for the halo. He would also be making the ring high enough to be worn with bands. The diamond I would be using is a bit smaller- a 1.09 transitional cut diamond.

Your thoughts? Have you chosen very similar or identical ring styles with different gemstones? Am I lacking in imagination or do I just know what I like? Kind of torn here so I was hoping for your opinions and suggestions.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could very well see myself doing exactly what you plan to do and I wouldn't think twice about it.
I might, however, change the make of the halo stones. They are going to be custom cut anyways? For example - step cut to buff top or french cut. Or tweak the outer shape of the halo just a bit.
( for example - I've always thought the shape of the halo on star sparkle 's star sapphire ring would look awesome done like your blue sapphire ring halo. Is there a name for how your sapphires are set like that specifically?)

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have not got loads of rings but I have plenty of plans for the future! I would want very different settings - in fact I have given myself a hard time for choosing an oval diamond for my engagement then going for an oval sapphire for the rhr I've just had made :oops:
Your diamond and sapphire halo ring looks stunning and I can see the logic of recreating a piece that you are so happy with but surely it would not do any harm to get some other ideas for diamond with ruby rings? See if there is something else that wows you? I'm sure you would find lots of people would contribute!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just gone through my Pinterest and screen shot 25 designs that I particularly like involving colored stone halos around diamonds :shock:
They must have made up over half of 350 ring pins! I did not realise I was such a fan! :whistle:
If you are interested in seeing them give me a shout!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore target rings like that.
You could mix it up a bit, make it perfectly round and add diamond shoulders. Or alternatively, do the round shape and at the 9 and 3 o’clock positions, where the band lines up, pop in a few diamonds instead of rubies.

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would like DK to re-create my diamond ring with blue sapphires (in avatar) but instead of sapphires he would be using natural rubies for the halo. He would also be making the ring high enough to be worn with bands. The diamond I would be using is a bit smaller- a 1.09 transitional cut diamond.

Your thoughts? Have you chosen very similar or identical ring styles with different gemstones? Am I lacking in imagination or do I just know what I like? Kind of torn here so I was hoping for your opinions and suggestions.

LisaRN I don’t have much to contribute just yet but wanted to say that your sapphire haloed diamond is one of my favorites on PS and perfection! I’m sure whatever you design that is similar will be equally beautiful. My gemstone and ring collection is still quite small so I’m still trying to set my gems with very different designs.

voce

Ideal_Rock
What about rotating the square halo so that the corners point N-E-S-W? Especially since you're going to go for a setting that can be worn with other bands underneath, I think that that geometry would work better, since it would block less of other bands worn above and/or beneath the halo ring, and it would make the ring just different enough to not be the same ring in different colors.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just gone through my Pinterest and screen shot 25 designs that I particularly like involving colored stone halos around diamonds :shock:
They must have made up over half of 350 ring pins! I did not realise I was such a fan! :whistle:
If you are interested in seeing them give me a shout!

@meely - Yes I would love to see them please. :)

@Rfisher - I just asked David for a french cut sapphire halo so I don't think there is a specific name for the design. I hope Meely's ring pins can give me some inspiration to maybe tweak the design a bit like you and @voce suggested. I appreciate you suggestions- thank you.

@Hivona -Thank you for the very nice compliment, it was very kind of you.

Here is another thought- maybe a double halo? Rubies on the inside and diamonds on the outside? I could pull the mine cut diamonds out of this ring- there are 20 of them. I am not sure they would be enough.

Also- I really appreciate the suggestions from colored gemstone lovers. The rubies are very important to me in this ring. I love colored gems so much.

020.JPG

Last edited:

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What about rotating the square halo so that the corners point N-E-S-W? Especially since you're going to go for a setting that can be worn with other bands underneath, I think that that geometry would work better, since it would block less of other bands worn above and/or beneath the halo ring, and it would make the ring just different enough to not be the same ring in different colors.

I love the idea. First of all diamonds versus CS rings still look very very different. And when you have a lovely CS you want the very best setting for, and you want to make sure it suits your hand, it’s a good idea.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm having a similar issue where I keep going to the same colors (and color combinations) and that seems more obvious to others than the same setting - a sign that I should probably stop buying, lol. Sometimes if the look is too similar, I'll make it in 18K YG instead of WG (but it looks like you prefer WG?) or make a pendant.

I agree with others that with slight variations, you can make something equally beautiful to your taste without it being the same piece. On the other hand, when I love a particular piece of clothing, I've been known to buy it in other colors/prints...just don't wear them in the same week. Do you switch up your jewelry a lot?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I really loved the design, heck yeah! One in every color if I could...:lol:

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_4672.jpg IMG_4674.jpg IMG_4675.jpg IMG_4676.jpg IMG_4678.jpg IMG_4680.jpg IMG_4681.jpg
Ok some other ideas. Some will be too big, or the wrong shape! Oh and I will confess to heavily biasing double halos!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LisaRN your target halo is one of my favourites! I love this style of ring so much - when I actually upgrade my ering, I’m planning to reset my current centre into a target halo. Probably octagonal.. and probably rubies or sapphires.
I believe the style of setting the stones closely next to each other is called calibre-set. It’s beautiful!
A few examples that you might like? They’re not as elaborate as some of the others tho!
CB646A17-79AF-4B1F-961B-25F3FB768F18.jpeg
88E61F8C-34C7-44AA-BCF2-E3962BF51409.jpeg
E7A0B14D-9C9D-4992-808E-D85FC16D6603.jpeg

Last edited:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @lilmosun and @Rare gem lover for your opinions and suggestions and lilmosun I do change out my rings pretty often. @Arcadian -Yes that was my original thought- I know I love this style.

@meely - I like all of the pictures you attached (thank you) and the square emerald settings are very much my style. I am excited about these and the last one that @foxinsox posted. Thank you foxinsox as well for the pictures. What I love about that one is that the rubies are very prominent in the ring and the ring feels more about rubies than diamonds. I am going to ask David about these designs that you both were kind enough to post. :)

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @lilmosun and @Rare gem lover for your opinions and suggestions and lilmosun I do change out my rings pretty often. @Arcadian -Yes that was my original thought- I know I love this style.

@meely - I like all of the pictures you attached (thank you) and the square emerald settings are very much my style. I am excited about these and the last one that @foxinsox posted. Thank you foxinsox as well for the pictures. What I love about that one is that the rubies are very prominent in the ring and the ring feels more about rubies than diamonds. I am going to ask David about these designs that you both were kind enough to post. :)
that ruby halo is from Doyle and Doyle - the colour of the rubies is so arresting and juicy, I couldn’t stop looking at it.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
that ruby halo is from Doyle and Doyle - the colour of the rubies is so arresting and juicy, I couldn’t stop looking at it.
Those are some gorgeous antique rubies. Its so hard to find such deep colors today...

This might be over the top, but I love this one in either sapphire or ruby.

upload_2018-8-5_22-57-37.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-5_22-52-53.png
    upload_2018-8-5_22-52-53.png
    314.5 KB · Views: 8

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander -Thanks for the pic. Not over the top IMHO- it's gorgeous!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are mine, the Tourmaline is newer:

bluegreenmodectourmalinering_12.jpg

I love air gap/line halos. If and when I get a square light to medium blue Sapphire from Jeff W, I would probably set it in a similar style.

DK :))

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would absolutely get the same setting for a different gem. In fact, I hope to remake my Big Blue flower ring with a smaller CS gem at some point in the future. Maybe with a round paraiba. :twisted2:

That said, I do like some of the options posted above. You can always count on PSrs for ring inspiration. :mrgreen2:

I too have hesitated when I start leaning towards the same style ring as ones I already have. I mean, how many 3-stone rings does a girl need really? But then, as PPs have pointed out, you quickly realize that slight changes here and there will give your new ring a totally different look!

It sounds like you're sticking with your original idea of a CS halo, so yay! Out of all the inspiration pics, I think @soxfan's 3rd pic is my fav.

And with the double halo, I like the idea of it. But then it seems like the rubies will be more of an added touch, rather than the star.

@LisaRN would you rather have the focus be on the rubies or on the center stone?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results