shape
carat
color
clarity

Your help would be Immensly appreciated - I need help with buying my diamond engegement ring for my

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

greganooch

Rough_Rock
Where should I begin? I''ve been searching the net, and stumbled here, and by far this site seems to have honest people willing to help out those in need. I hope some nice people here could give me some advice, as I really dont have anyone else to help me with this. And of couse, buying an engagement ring is so imortant and dificult, especially when you have no one to help you or shop with.

I want to get a diamond engagement ring for my girlfriend of 7 years. We''re both in college now, and I am swamped with school so much that I cant travel around to jewelery stores and compare prices, etc. Ive stopped by the places in the malls, even a zales outlet, but the sales people keep pushing stones with inclusions, and I lost faith in their honesty. Seems like they are just out to make a buck on some young guy. Anyway, I have been searching around online, and the amount of info and advice is staggering. Although Ive learned a lot, I am scared and intimidated by all these little things to consider in gettingthe best diamond. I know what I want - I just need advice on how to get it. Please help me in any way possible - it would mean so much for someone to stear me in the right path.

Basically, I read that buying a loose diamond is best, and then taking it to a jeweler to be fitted on a ring. But I am worried about this, as I heard they jack up the prices, and I am worried about them being dishonest. Then I searched online, and saw some sites do the whole ring - you buy the stone and they do the setting. I am a bit leary about buying a diamond online, because you cant see it before you buy it. When I was at the store, many poorer quality (ie: lower ratings in terms of color, clarity, etc) diamonds looked better than other higher rating diaonds. But the prices online seem so much cheaper. I dont have that much money, and I''d have to buy it with a credit card and pay it off. Also I''ve learned that cut is most important. An ideal cut diamond will look like a larger carat than a poorly cut diamond. So Ive been searching for ideal cut diamonds. I think the best prices and quality is on dirtcheapdiamonds, but thats just from what Ive seen so far. Basically, here is what I would like: A princess cut, at least an H color (I dont want it to be yellow) and I understand you can get away with at least an H when you put it on a white gold setting. I''d also like about a .85 or higher to maybe over a full carat. I understand that when the cut is ideal, it will appear larger. Calrity: At least a VS1 or 2. Again, from what Ive seen at the stores I went to, they kept trying to sell me diamonds with little "pepper specks" all over an telling me how you dont even see them (well I did). So I am really overwhelmed by all the info available online. I cant even find a good place to buy from that supplies me with all the parameters mentioned, like crown height and girdle, for example. Like dirtcheapdiamonds - the prices are good, but the info on cut is lacking.
I really hope someone can help me out here. I am very overwhelmed and scared at all this. I just basically want a diamond ring that I can be proud of for the rest of my life.
I''m just praying that someone here can help me, as I have no where else to go

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
I've read that whiteflash.com is equally as good as dirtcheapdiamonds so you may want to check them out. I think they may even be cheaper. GoodoldGold.com is also highly recommended, and has many settings to choose from.
You shouldn't have a problem buying a diamond online and then ordering a setting from a local independent jeweler (not a chain store).
Are you sure she wants a princess cut??? Make sure! I think they are very nice, just make sure that's what she wants.
I agree to not go lower than H-I color. Try to get one with some flourescence in it and it'll look like a G color!
I'm not sure what style of setting you're looking for - but antiqueengagementrings.com has some gorgeous settings in white gold.
good luck and let us know when you narrow your search down more!

greganooch

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your help, Tanya. I really appreciate it! She does want a princess cut, definately. I was worried about the high prices Ive heard independent local jewelers charge for setting the stone. What do you recommend? How much do they generally charge? I know she mentioned liking the tiffany style setting, in white gold or platinum (Ive heard I should get it in white gold, as platinum scratches easily). And I've heard to get the setting itself in platinum for strength. The antique website you provided is amazing. I'd love to do something like that, and I know she's into that kind of thing. So I think I should then go for a slight blue florescence? I appreciate it! Any other tips?

beaverhousen

Rough_Rock
I agree with New Yorker. How much are you looking to spend? If your looking for 1 carat VS1 or 2 and nothing under a "H" color, your looking to spend a pretty penny (between $4500 - $6500). Im in the same boat as you, I am looking for an .90-1.1 princess for a platinum setting. Dont be turned off by SI1 stones. Jonathan from Good Old Gold has had some really good SI1 stones which will end up saving you a chunk of money. Im pretty sure (but dont quote me) Jonathan will send the loose diamond to an appraiser in your area before you decide to buy. It gives you the opportunity to see the stone up close and personal. I would def check out his website. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the pics of the stone you choose!!!
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Take a deap breath Greg!
9.gif

Figure out your budget. Also, as stated, many SI1/2 stones are eye clean. You can't go by the junk you see in the stores.

Since time is valuable to you, you may want to go with a company/vendor that can provide you the service you need. In doing so, you can have a one stop shopping experience & some hand holding to boot. This may cost more money; but, provide you with the much need value of service.

You have choices in this. Do you want to see the stone before it is set? Do you want to send the stone to an independent appraiser before you set it. What type of setting do you want?

I have personally seen lovely stones from Dirtcheapdiamonds. They are able to provide settings as well. While I have not personally viewed stones from these places, they are also one stop shopping places - Whiteflash, Goodoldgold, NiceIce, Superbcert, many many more.

Good luck & have some fun.

Also, what is your location?

greganooch

Rough_Rock
Thanks! A lot of the websites dont state the cut (whether it is ideal, etc)- or give all the parameters such as crown height or girdle thickness. I was going by this chart http://www.gemappraisers.com/chrt4.htm
and used the ideal parameters for depth and table as basis for cut. Is this correct?
How is something like this diamond?

Shape Princess
Carat 1.11
Color H ( I would have liked at least a G because there is no florescence, I dont think)
Clarity VS1
Measurements (mm) 5.63X5.55X4.16
Table % 70
Depth % 75
Polish Good
Symmetry Very Good
Girdle MED P
Culet None
Fluorescence

I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania, but go to school near syracuse Ny, and have access to NJ / NY city areas.

I would like to see what Im buying before it's set, because once it is set, its too late, right? But the one-stop ring and setting idea is nice, because I wouldnt know where to start to find an honest jeweler in my area to do the setting at a good price, you know?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Greg: Sounds like you're on the right track. A G/H diamond will face up white, white, white, so no worries there.

A few thoughts......you mentioned you're buying on a credit card, so I'd imagine budget is fairly important to you. Some of your best deals can be found by buying just shy of a carat.....the price breaks tend to run .70 to .89, .90-.99, 1.0-1.24....etc. There is may be very little visual difference between a .88 ct. and a .92 ct, but MUCH difference in the price per carat. The jump once you get to 1.0 is HUGE because that's the coveted marker for most people...the 1 ct mark.

If you decide to buy less than a carat, you can still make the stone look large by choosing a setting with a thinner band, which showcases the diamond and gives it even more "presence".

You mentioned VS1, VS2. I'd suggest that you seriously consider the SI-1 category.....I know you're looking at princess cuts, but in this weight bracket, you should be able to come up with some decent eye-clean SI-1 stones. Dropping to SI-1 will either save you a bit of money or give you a bit more carat weight for the same money.....as long as it's eye-clean, it doesn't matter if it's SI-1 or VS-1.

I'd also strongly recommend Good Old Gold. Jonathan's knowledge of princess cuts is impressive, and fancies have so many nuances involved. Other vendors I'd suggest are Whiteflash and NiceIce, although I'm unsure as to how much availability they offer regarding princess.....you should check them out.

A final note: with any of the vendors above, you shouldn't have any concerns in dealing with them through an online purchase. In fact, most of them will send the diamond pre-purchase to an appraiser near you so you can visually inspect the stone before agreeing to buy it. This typically eliminates the largest concern you mentioned about online buying--the inability to see it yourself.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 9/9/2003 3:45
6.gif
9 PM greganooch wrote:
I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania, but go to school near syracuse Ny, and have access to NJ / NY city areas.

I would like to see what Im buying before it's set, because once it is set, its too late, right? But the one-stop ring and setting idea is nice, because I wouldnt know where to start to find an honest jeweler in my area to do the setting at a good price, you know?
----------------
If you have access to NY metro area, then you should DEFINITELY take a trip to check out Good Old Gold. He's in Massapequa, NY (on Long Island), and again, he's highly highly knowledgable on princess stones. You could view several stones in person this way and I'm pretty sure he offers settings also.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/9/2003 4
6.gif
6.gif
8 PM aljdewey wrote:

----------------
On 9/9/2003 3:45
6.gif
9 PM greganooch wrote:

----------------

If you have access to NY metro area, then you should DEFINITELY take a trip to check out Good Old Gold. He's in Massapequa, NY (on Long Island), and again, he's highly highly knowledgable on princess stones. You could view several stones in person this way and I'm pretty sure he offers settings also.

----------------

Second that motion. Goodoldgold definitely sells settings & can easily have your stone set. One stop shopping w/ great quality stones & service.

I usually try not to recommend vendors; but, I firmly believe this will be a good fit for your situation. Also, visit his website www.goodoldgold.com

greganooch

Rough_Rock
Thank you all. I contacted Johnathan from GOG with an email. I really do hope that he could help me find what Im looking for. Any other tips or ideas? Again, thank you all so much - this means a lot to me, as I have no one else to help me out on this "journey". Its good to know there are people like you who give such honest and helpful advice.I will keep you posted!

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
I agree with whoever said you should pick a thinner band to make the diamond appear bigger - very important!!!

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Hi greganooch.

I just finished putting together my princess cut engagement ring. My honey and I did it together.

I also recommend Good Old Gold. I went with Diamond Brokers ofFlorida, but seriously considered Good Old Gold.

As for princess cuts, there are a few key things to keep in mind to get the best and biggest stone for your money. Try to finda stone with a depth of 68-70 percent. The closer you get to that, the bigger the stone will appear to the eye. Try not to go below 73 percent.

That being said, stay away from princesses that have tables larger than their deprth - ie. Depth of 70 percent and table of 76 percent. It affects the stones light return quality.

You should be able to find a gorgeous H SI1 stone of about .90 for a good price.

Good luck.
Please share photos when its done!
Jenibear
twirl.gif

Bullroper

Rough_Rock
I've been where you are and can sympathize with your situation. Not only is it a huge deal just thinking about proposing but you have to deal with the jewelers, internet and try and figure out how not to get ripped off.

I've been looking for the last 3 months and it has been tough. I would avoid the crescent, kay, zales and other mall stores. I would also avoid all of their signature diamonds. They are all crap (I didn't know any of this 3 months ago). Buy a ring buying guide, they will have all the cut measurments you need to look for and articulate some of the pitfalls etc.

Last week I bit the bullet and purchased a ring online from Bluenile (they have the most information about the diamonds online.) I even wired them $7K without ever seeing the ring!
I was very nervous, but the ring arrived this morning and it is stunning. The appraisal was at $11,500 so I know I received a good deal. Plus the folks at Blue Nile are really nice. They have a no questions asked 30 day return policy.

Take your time, avoid the mall pick the diamond you can afford. Once you buy the diamond you have to come up with some fantastic way to propose, it doesn't end when you buy the diamond....it only starts.

Good luck,

The Roper.

greganooch

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. I am now in talk with a few companies online, and look forward to what they can offer me. And of course, I'll be here to ask your opinions on the diamonds they offer. Now Im nervous as to which to choose! -Greg

greganooch

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone. Ive been in talks with a few online sites, and this stone seems interesting. The optics are fabulous - all mark in at very high on white light, color light, and scintillation. But, I am a bit concerned about the stone's numbers - the total depth is a bit high at 77%. I also think that the stone will not appear larger than its true weight at this depth. 68-70% depth stones are said to look the biggest, I have heard. But supposedly the stone has very rare optics and is a beauty. Please let me know your honest opinions. Thank you so very much.

DSCN8147.jpg

greganooch

Rough_Rock
heres some more info:
princess
carat weight: 0.84
Clarity: VVS2
Color: F
Shape: Princess
Cut External
Polish: GemScan ~ Very Good
Symmetry: GemScan ~ Very Good
Cut Internal
Light Return ~ Excellent
BrillianceScope
White Light Return ~ Very High
Colored Light Return ~ Very High
Scintillation ~ Very High
Price ~ $3900.

pr84fvvws2-report.gif

greganooch

Rough_Rock
Or for example, is this a better choice:
Ideal cut
Carat weight: 0.87
Cut: Princess (square modified brilliant)
Color: G
Clarity: SI1 (characteristics: crystal, cloud)
Depth %: 69.4%
Table %: 70%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.44x5.20x3.61 mm
Crown height: 9.4%
Length/width ratio: 1.05
Price: 3900

weddingmooner

Rough_Rock
I can recommend Whiteflash.com with supreme confidence. I bought a Hearts and Arrows diamond from them a few months ago and it was probably the best purchase I've ever made. The customer service was superb, the diamond was way better than expected and my new fiance gets ooohs and aaahs everywhere she goes!

I took a look on their site and they offer several similar diamonds for much less than you posted. For example, THIS link has a similar diamond for about $2,700.

I would definitely check them out as I can't say enough about the professional service, extremely high-quality diamond and the fast delivery (free overnight shipping).
Hope this helps,

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A 67% depth with an 80% table? Have you read my tutorial on diamonds cut just like that?

kseagren

Rough_Rock
Greganooch,

I don't know how much I can help you out but I felt compelled to reply to your posting. I too just married my high school sweetheart, in July, after 8 years of dating! we too went to college in NY, upstate actually, at Rensellaer and Russell Sage. anyway, good luck in your search...what i would recommend....go for a good cut stone, and the best color you can get. as far as clarity goes.... don't be scared off by SI1's, even 2's. once you get into this area, you may find these a bit more in your price range, or find the price to come down just enough for your budget. my husband and I purchased a 1.50 oval diamond, with a good cut, F in color, yet with clarity of an SI1. and let me tell you the inclusion under the scope, is so tiny, you really can hardly see it. i think people are under the impression that if you go down to an SI, that there will be a gigantic inclusion. i did not find that to be the case.
if you can distinguish which C's are most important to you, than you may be able to find your answer. in my case, i wanted the biggest diamond we could affford, yet still have a good quality stone.
good luck in your search, i hope everything turns out well! take care.

K Seagren

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Now that's a bad stone! 81 table with 67 depth and etremely thin to very thick girdle
eek.gif
6.gif

The 77% depth stone looks so much better, even if it's a bit thick. But I do prefer a deeper stone like that one to a shallow broken-glass looking stone anyday!

Rhino... Beautiful dog... Is that of yours? So cute!
love.gif

detta

Rough_Rock
Greg, I bought a diamond from a web site called "diamonds on the web". They send the diamond that you pick out on their site to a local jeweler. I live in Syracuse and they sent it to one in Dewitt. You can pick two stones at a time to have them send. They are mostly GIA stones. You don't have to buy them. They just send them back. I felt I got a fair price for the stone I picked and they were nice to deal with.

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Hi greganooch - I'd say the 77 depth stone is much better -although if you check out the AGA cut charts on princesses a 77 is considered "international trade cut.'' It has been recommended to me to stick within a 64 to 75 depth (ideal and premium cut). To some, me included, 75 is still too deep.
Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Jenibear

greganooch

Rough_Rock
My concern is that:
a) the stone is too deep. I agree with the statement that the optics are great, but Ive been advised that a stone, like you mentioned Jenibear, cut deeper than ~75 is less desireable. Im wondering how this effects the stones appearance, even in terms of Size. I do want the stone to appear bigger to the eye.
b) the price - is this a good price? PM me if necessary. Thank you all - I really appreciate your honest opinions and care.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Giangi,

Yes! That is my Mojo! (Really his name too).
1.gif
He's great! A 6 month old pug.
3.gif

With regards to #'s on princess cuts....

There is no recognized chart for ideal parameters on princess cuts by any major lab. When we select the diamonds we're going to purchase for stock the beauty of the diamond is #1 priority. Not the numbers. If I were to just use any given set of numbers it would seriously make my job a heluva lot easier but then my purchasing decisions would not be based upon the optical quality of the diamond but a superficial set of #'s which may or may not have anything at all to do with the optical quality of the stone. When I am about to spend thousands of my hard earned money on something that will be with people for a lifetime I take no chances. All question marks are removed. There is no mystery about how beautiful or not the stone is. It is a guaranteed winner. AGS's upcoming cut grading system for fancies will be based upon the SAME EXACT sciences we are applying to our purchasing decisions today. Any current cut grading charts that are not based upon optical sciences will be good for the trash heap when all this takes effect. GIA's upcoming cut grading system will also be based upon optical sciences which will apply to rounds (and fancies in the future). That is where this industry is headed. Even AGS's cut grading system is already outdated because those of us who work with optical technologies KNOW that there are many combinations of proportions even within the AGS "0" range that produce less than ideal optical results. AGS is very aware of this fact as well. This in NO WAY disrespects the noble attempts of people who have attempted to develope cut grading charts for fancies and rounds but at the end of the day it is the diamonds optical quality that will either sing to your fiance' or not. If a princess cut required an 85% depth with a 4% crown and a 79% pavilion to attain the most beautiful stone possible that's what I'd be purchasing. The question you have to ask yourself is where does your preference lie? Size or beauty?

read.gif

Peace,

Rhino

greganooch

Rough_Rock
No, I do agree that it is a beautiful ring - which it plainly appears to be. But I also want a ring that has a good size - this one will probably face up around a 0.75 stone or so. So I am a bit hesitant on this level. I think if the rings diameter/size was higher I would pursue it, due to its remarkable optics. Rhino, I thank you very much for your explanation. It makes perfect sense. But, just as I dont want to sacrifice beauty for size, I dont want to sacrifice size for beauty.

PS: Love the pug! So, thats what someone's mojo looks like
wink2.gif

Kristina

Rough_Rock
It is always wise to shop around before you buy. I always suggest that to my customers. But one of the most important things I stress, besides the color, cut and clearity of course *Wink's* Is.. Does the diamond come with a warrenty? So many buy a diamond and think.. Oh it is set in a platium mounting what is the chances that it will fall out? But the chances are very likely if it is just hit in that right place. So before you purchase a diamond.. Ask them if the diamond was to be chipped, scratched or even fall out, will it be replaced with a like diamond?

Also look and see how long the company has been in buisness? Would really be bad if something did happen to that diamond and the company was no longer around to replace that diamond. Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results