shape
carat
color
clarity

Your First "Big"/"Real" Jewelry Purchase

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
Oh gosh, I love all these stories!

When I was 28 I’d just passed a big professional exam and bought my first home (a tiny flat). Walking past the local “high end” jewellery store one day I saw they had a sale on. A tiny pair of diamond studs (0.33ct) had 30% off. I decided to go for it even though they were a huge purchase for me at the time. They have lasted all this time and I have worn them nearly every day since. I have no idea about their stats but they do sparkle and I often get comments on them.

LOVE LOVE LOVE : )

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
God, I am so old, that I had to think about it.
It would have to be my first tennis bracelet that I bought locally in San Francisco.
It was 6.5 cts FG-VS in a 14k 3-prong mounting. I don't wear it anymore, but rather the two bracelets that I bought from Wink.

20190428_174429.jpg
I had trouble remembering too. It’s not because of our age, it simply shows how jewelry has always been a part of our life from the earliest we can remember. At least that’s what I’m telling myself :mrgreen2:

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
Love this thread. Here goes.

Well, I am a grandchild of immigrants. My Dad is an ex-Marine and a midlevel manager at the local GM plant (and I'm 1 of 4 kids), so we were not wealthy or even well off growing up. For example, I bought many of my clothes at the local Farm and Fleet, Sears and Penneys. After graduation, I spent my 20s roaming the world and didn't really start my professional career until the time that many women take a pause to start having children. Now, I work at a well known professional services firm (leading a technology practice), so promotions are hard won. About 7 years ago, I made a big promotion (both from a professional perspective and a personal "yes, I am good enough to be here" perspective). I swore I would do something to commemorate it. And the watch in my sig (a terrible pic of a Breitling Windrider Starliner Diamante) was my gift to myself. And in my typical I like nice things but value-oriented approach (given my background) I looked for a perfect watch for almost 18 months, and bought this, barely used, on eBay. At first, I was a little abashed about the 'bling' but now I love it.

And for my recent milestone birthday, I'm buying a good sized ring (or small ring and huggie earrings). Or both. Or three :oops:

pinkgem2522

Shiny_Rock
I had trouble remembering too. It’s not because of our age, it simply shows how jewelry has always been a part of our life from the earliest we can remember. At least that’s what I’m telling myself :mrgreen2:
Wow very nice

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
a couple of years adter moved to the big smoke far from home i had a job that didn't pay great. my boyfriend (long term partner almost 20 years now) doesn't really 'get' jewlery (so consistently every thing he's ever given to me is special) so i learned early on i had to buy my own
it was at a time the NZ market was flooding with cheaper Italian 18K gold jewelry and the local manufacturing jewlers wern't happy but i could finally afford something nice
i put it on layby and every pay day took an exrra 30 min for lunch (docked of course) so i could walk into town and make a payment

it's somehow 'shrunk' over the years - i hope it can be upsized because it had to be upsized when i brought it
i never wore it much because it catches on everything because of its shape but the shap is what i love about it
the sapphires are a pretty blue
20190505_222405.jpg

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
912359C5-EB61-4C4A-A0EE-7E4510B448DF.jpeg
My first real purchase was a blue sapphire ring to celebrate finally being done with grad school.

Beautiful! Love a good sapphire ; )
And what a great way to commemorate your achievement, congratulations! My little sister graduates from grad school very soon as well ; ) A true accomplishment for sure!

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! Love a good sapphire ; )
And what a great way to commemorate your achievement, congratulations! My little sister graduates from grad school very soon as well ; ) A true accomplishment for sure!
Thank you and congrats to your sister as well! It was a long time, 3 years while working full time, so I felt happy to finally have my dream RHR and a new degree ;)2

peonyinlove

Rough_Rock
I had been a criminal defence lawyer for only about 8 months when I was offered a job as a crown attorney (DA in the states) without even applying - it was a big deal. I accepted the job and bought myself 1 ctw diamond studs from Id jewelry to commemorate the accomplishment and my new career. I have worn them every single day since, without fail. I told my husband they are my courtroom version of wonder woman's bracelets. I wear the same jewelry every day - my wedding set from my husband, a diamond milgrain pendant from my parents gifted to me when I passed the bar, and these earrings. I love to wear pieces given by those I love each day, but I also love that I bought myself my earrings. It felt indulgent and adult - I adore them and have never, ever regretted buying them.

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
2AC361B5-3396-411F-922E-A09AAA36FC56.jpeg
My senior year of high school I started working part time at our small town jewelry store. The first thing I ever bought was a matching pearl set: bracelet, necklace, and earrings. I wore the bracelet and earrings quite a bit, but usually felt too causal for the necklace. I’m not sure where the earrings are these days, but the others stay in my jewelry box. They’re probably about 4-5mm, not exactly round, 14k yellow clasps.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results