shape
carat
color
clarity

Your First "Big"/"Real" Jewelry Purchase

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
I thought of this tonight as I was taking my diamond studs out- my first big/real jewelry purchase, 10 years ago. I decided I deserved something classic and nice, that I could wear daily (and I have ever since!) At one time, I briefly considered "trading up" and getting a larger set, but these have come to be so special to me that I can't see parting with them. They will likely be passed down someday to someone who I hope will love them as much as I have : ) IMG_20190426_214035235~2.jpg FB_IMG_1556330096454~2.jpg

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
crazy pear.jpg

Great idea. For me, it was my 2.61 carat pear. It was 10 years ago during the peak of the banking crisis. I had worked at Banks since 2001 and was watching what seemed like an apocalyptic scenario, for the industry and me personally . It was a very stressful time.

I watched the stock price crash, day after day - from $45 to almost nothing - along with my 401K, laden with now near worthless bank stock. I took some of my not huge pay check and bought more stock at $1. I had no idea if my bank would survive, as we watched bank after bank fail.

I promised myself I’d cash out if the stock made it back to $10 and buy something frivolous but beautiful. I did and bought my pear from an estate sale a local jeweler was administrating.

Here she is in the original setting, on the day I bought her. I was sitting in a 10 year old used car thinking she was the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen. And she was mine.

I reset her into a YG bezel a year or so ago to pump up the color, she’s a very yellow L, smidge of a bow tie but oh so clear, VVS2. I did keep the original PLT band. She’s in two tone shoes now.

Last edited:

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
crazy pear.jpg

Great idea. For me, it was my 2.61 carat pear. It was 10 years ago after the peak of the banking crisis. I had worked at a since 2001 and was watching what seemed like an apocalyptic scenario. I watched the stock price crash, day after day - from $45 to almost nothing. I took some of my not huge pay check and bought stock at $1. I had no idea if my Bank would survive, as we watched bank after bank fail. I promised myself I’d cash out of the stock made it back to $10 and buy something frivolous but beautiful. I did and bought my pear from an estate sale a local jeweler was administrating.

Here she is in the original setting, on the day I bought her. I reset her into a YG bezel a year or so ago.

I love this story! (Can't wait to hear others too!!) Your pear is a beauty!!! Jewelry is so lovely and special, and that very first piece, often even more so ; )

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think the first actually nice pieces I bought myself was an Edwardian dinner ring in platinum. I found it on Etsy. I no longer have it, but it was platinum and about .56 with beautiful details, filigree, webbing, engraving, etc. That was a big purchase at that point.

I can't find photos now either!

Before that, I was buying sterling silver and topaz, as well as wearing a lot of beaded pieces. Big shift after that ring!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I *think* it was a .5-.75ct (I can’t remember exactly) radiant, “graded” as a J. It was in a yellow gold solitaire setting and I wore it as a RHR and I purchased it the summer after I graduated from high school. I can’t remember what lab graded it; it wasn’t a reputable one, and the stone was really yellow :nono:. It wasn’t the best diamond, but It was what I could afford at the time :geek2:

I want to say I purchased it from diamond.com... am I remembering that correctly? Was that a thing? (this was a year or two before Blue Nile was relevant in the online diamond market).

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
00262816-8A8D-434B-9DB2-E0A67B9C5B11.jpeg 2D4A877E-3F36-4DB9-A8DC-DBEC9EC82994.jpeg 30EBDDFE-7DBC-4D83-B314-CEC4304B2045.jpeg My sapphire ring previously qualified for “biggest overpriced purchase” thread and now “big real jewellery purchase” and I even took some photos!
40 years ago and after years of saving Birthday money, Christmas money, chore money and money from my part time job ($4,000 total) for a big overseas adventure with my best girlfriend once we finished school, when those plans were crushed, on a whim I went into an upmarket jewellery store and bought a ring from the showcase for $3,999.
I hid this ring from my mother for a few months as I was sick with guilt at my impulsive and reckless behaviour. My mother was furious. Livid!
The irony is that if I’d had that trip (I had others later on) it would by now be just a dim and distant memory but the ring, well, still as beautiful as the day I bought her.
A yellow, unheated, 5 carat sapphire with two blue pear sides.

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
00262816-8A8D-434B-9DB2-E0A67B9C5B11.jpeg 2D4A877E-3F36-4DB9-A8DC-DBEC9EC82994.jpeg 30EBDDFE-7DBC-4D83-B314-CEC4304B2045.jpeg My sapphire ring previously qualified for “biggest overpriced purchase” thread and now “big real jewellery purchase” and I even took some photos!
40 years ago and after years of saving Birthday money, Christmas money, chore money and money from my part time job ($4,000 total) for a big overseas adventure with my best girlfriend once we finished school, when those plans were crushed, on a whim I went into an upmarket jewellery store and bought a ring from the showcase for $3,999.
I hid this ring from my mother for a few months as I was sick with guilt at my impulsive and reckless behaviour. My mother was furious. Livid!
The irony is that if I’d had that trip (I had others later on) it would by now be just a dim and distant memory but the ring, well, still as beautiful as the day I bought her.
I love it!:kiss2:

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

It’s beautiful! Looking back it was quite the good move. ;)2 Are you up for a “wearing it in the wild” pic? I bet many of us here would like to see you enjoying it.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Back in 2003 after my first business had really taken off, I bought myself a men's mid-size Rolex Yacht Master with a Tahitian Mother of Pearl dial. I still love it dearly as it represents my first personal success. The dial changes colors based on what I'm wearing, ambient lighting or where I am, but it still knocks my socks off. This was my first "REAL" jewelry purchase and the most I had ever spent on anything other than a house or car.

s-l1600.gif

s-l1600.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back in 2003 after my first business had really taken off, I bought myself a men's mid-size Rolex Yacht Master with a Tahitian Mother of Pearl dial. I still love it dearly as it represents my first personal success. The dial changes colors based on what I'm wearing, ambient lighting or where I am, but it still knocks my socks off. This was my first "REAL" jewelry purchase and the most I had ever spent on anything other than a house or car.

s-l1600.gif

s-l1600.jpg
Holy crow this is such a cool piece!!!! I'm :eek2::love: by that tahitian pearl! It is amazing!!!!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Holy crow this is such a cool piece!!!! I'm :eek2::love: by that tahitian pearl! It is amazing!!!!
Thanks @PintoBean!! I hope you love your new Rolex and that it brings you as much pleasure as I've had from mine. You deserve it. :appl:

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
I'm loving these stories... I originally came to PS for help with purchasing something for a significant promotion (which I still need to do!) and have stayed for much better reasons. ;)2

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
I think the first actually nice pieces I bought myself was an Edwardian dinner ring in platinum. I found it on Etsy. I no longer have it, but it was platinum and about .56 with beautiful details, filigree, webbing, engraving, etc. That was a big purchase at that point.

I can't find photos now either!

Before that, I was buying sterling silver and topaz, as well as wearing a lot of beaded pieces. Big shift after that ring!

Would love to see photos of the Edwardian ring if you find them : )

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
I'm loving these stories... I originally came to PS for help with purchasing something for a significant promotion (which I still need to do!) and have stayed for much better reasons. ;)2

Can't wait to see what you decide on to celebrate the promotion!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ER was my first expensive piece of jewelry of my own. Obviously, not purchased by me, but FOR me, and not passed down.
My GemConcepts Vintage Asschers by Yoram are our first expensive purchase, as a couple. Our WR’s were expensive, but my Asschers, by far, are our greatest “investment”. They are also superior quality.
These beauties will be placed in a bespoke, one of a kind, setting, of my very own design.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does this count?
When I was 16 years old(1979 or so), I gave a girl at school $20 for a 14k yellow gold and peridot ring. It must've been birthday money or something.
It was about 1 ct, with a twisted rope style bezel. It was probably 1960's. I was so proud of myself for scoring a nice ring!
Unfortunately, I lost it several years later:(2

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
My ER was my first expensive piece of jewelry of my own. Obviously, not purchased by me, but FOR me, and not passed down.
My GemConcepts Vintage Asschers by Yoram are our first expensive purchase, as a couple. Our WR’s were expensive, but my Asschers, by far, are our greatest “investment”. They are also superior quality.
These beauties will be placed in a bespoke, one of a kind, setting, of my very own design.

Vintage cuts are gorgeous! How exciting to have collected such a set!

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
Does this count?
When I was 16 years old(1979 or so), I gave a girl at school $20 for a 14k yellow gold and peridot ring. It must've been birthday money or something.
It was about 1 ct, with a twisted rope style bezel. It was probably 1960's. I was so proud of myself for scoring a nice ring!
Unfortunately, I lost it several years later:(2

So I'm hearing you need a new peridot ring ; )
I'm sure many jewelers will be featuring them this summer, as they are the August birthstone and all.... Plenty of time to find one you'll love ; )

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vintage cuts are gorgeous! How exciting to have collected such a set!

Thank you!! I most certainly got lucky finding these!! It was fate: right vendor at the perfect time!
@OoohShiny gets all the credit in the world for suggesting I reach out to Yoram, in the first place. It was a shot in the dark that made my dreams come true!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
God, I am so old, that I had to think about it.
It would have to be my first tennis bracelet that I bought locally in San Francisco.
It was 6.5 cts FG-VS in a 14k 3-prong mounting. I don't wear it anymore, but rather the two bracelets that I bought from Wink.

20190428_174429.jpg

Last edited:

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
God, I am so old, that I had to think about it.
It would have to be my first tennis bracelet that I bought locally in San Francisco.
It was 6.5 cts FG-VS in a 14k 3-prong mounting. I don't wear it anymore, but rather the two bracelets that I bought from Wink.

20190428_174429.jpg

Which bracelets are shown in the photo?
Are they 3 individual ones that you've stacked? I love the look of stacking things : )

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
@cflutist I aspire to have your blingaliciousness someday! I look forward to admiring your finery in person, in July. :appl:

I'll know who you are the moment I see those bracelets. :lol:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which bracelets are shown in the photo?
Are they 3 individual ones that you've stacked? I love the look of stacking things : )

Yes, there are 3 bracelets that I stacked just for the photo. I wear 2 at most, or sometimes just one of Wink's.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful! Looking back it was quite the good move. ;)2 Are you up for a “wearing it in the wild” pic? I bet many of us here would like to see you enjoying it.
Only after serious adjustment! Back in those days I was a size 6, these days pushing an 8 and we won’t even mention dress sizing :shock:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, I love all these stories!

When I was 28 I’d just passed a big professional exam and bought my first home (a tiny flat). Walking past the local “high end” jewellery store one day I saw they had a sale on. A tiny pair of diamond studs (0.33ct) had 30% off. I decided to go for it even though they were a huge purchase for me at the time. They have lasted all this time and I have worn them nearly every day since. I have no idea about their stats but they do sparkle and I often get comments on them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results