shape
carat
color
clarity

Your favourite crown/pavillion angles and why

erupgrade

Rough_Rock
I recently posted asking if there were crown/pavillion combinations that fell within the ideal range that for some reason didn't work. Many of the replies indicated that people had their favourite crown/pavillion angles within the range. I wondered what it is about these angles and the visual effect that they have that would make you choose these combinations?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RB? steep crown/shallow pav

I like the way these diamonds look, physically, esp when set and the top towers over the setting :))

I'm happy to significantly sacrifice in white light return and brightness for a little colour in a few more lighting types

Course there are other sacrifices - these stones are often deeper and spread less, b/c they're deeper (more material) tinted stones show more tint than a shallower stone of the same body colour, can't get a H&A branded stone like this...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

erupgrade

Rough_Rock
Thanks Yssie, yes I should have said in a RB. So this combination would be fiery? I think you mentionned in my last post that you had a 36/40.6/80 that was beautiful, it was this that got me thinking what it was about each combination that made it a preference for different people.

erupgrade

Rough_Rock
Thanks Kenny, what is it visually about this combination that makes it your preferred choice?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it was a beauty :))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamonddream said:
Thanks Kenny, what is it visually about this combination that makes it your preferred choice?

Hell if I know, but all the Whiteflash ACAs are near that so it must be good.

That's Internet wisdom for ya. :wavey:

erupgrade

Rough_Rock
Yssie, was that because it was so fiery? I am trying to decide what will be the best combination for me....I like fire but as my budget is limited I would like something with a reasonable spread - maybe I can't have everything!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if you don't know that you specifically want something, middle of the road is the way to go - you get a good balance of everything. A nice 60/60 is also an option - generally a little more spread.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
yap, you can't have high crown and good spread while still having good performance, conservation of mass.

erupgrade

Rough_Rock
There seems to be a mixed reaction to 60/60 stones, is there a reason for this? How do you know what makes a good one and what makes a bad one?!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same way as w/ any other stone - look in person, or trusted professional's opinion & nice IS if that's not possible

smaller table is more popular these days than some years ago. Also w/ a larger table generally comes shallower crown, and w/ an appropriately steep pavilion can get a nicely balanced stone or can get extremes (sub-32 IMO) in which case you're sacrificing fire for a bright white dot

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamonddream said:
There seems to be a mixed reaction to 60/60 stones, is there a reason for this? How do you know what makes a good one and what makes a bad one?!
the ones with no crown height (flat top) are ugly !! :knockout:

erupgrade

Rough_Rock
so what sort of crown/pavillions should you be looking for in a 60/60? Sorry if this is a silly question, this is a steep learning curve!!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anything below HCA 2.
t60.jpg

Note that spread is still something you will sacrifice if you want a higher crown.

erupgrade

Rough_Rock
Ok, thanks for that!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results