shape
carat
color
clarity

Yosemite - Half Dome propsal...is it possible??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Has anybody out there tried to propose on top of Half Dome at Yosemite? My gf and I are taking a trip there later this summer and I'm planning on proposing there, once we make the hike up. Any suggestions or tips you can offer would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Half Dome is a really intense hike and while some women might not love the idea of being proposed to after 10 hours/17 miles of strenuous hiking, I know I would :) Are you guys both avid hikers? I''d assume so...

If you''re doing the half dome, you probably already have a ton of gear, I know that for me the right gear is essential. I don''t know if I''d go for a really light pack or a larger one with more waist support, I guess it just depends on what you prefer. You''re going to need to carry a lot of water, so maybe a larger pack with more waist support is better. Still, take water purification pills in case you need them. For a hike like that I''d probably make sure my boots were nice and broken in, but I always take some mole skin just in case.

Husband and I are going to Yosemite later this year, but not to do that hike, we do more technical climbing. My husband does more mountaineering and is currently training for Denali and when he hiked down and up the grand canyon in one day last year (not much longer than the Half Dome), he said it was one of the hardest days he''s ever had. It''s a very long trek.

Have fun and be safe!

Cartwheel

Rough_Rock
I love this idea. She''s a lucky girl!!!

I''m an avid hiker/backpacker and I''ve done the Half Dome hike 3 times and the second time I actually saw a proposal happen. It was so wonderful.

Here are my tips:

- I always opt for a light pack. No need to take a heavier one unless you''re overnighting it.

- Take A LOT of water. I remember taking around 6 liters and we drank it ALL. It''s a tough uphill and you''ll be grateful for it. Plus, once you get to the tough climb to the top (you''ll know what I mean), you can stash a pack and only take what you need to the top. If for some reason you run out of water, there is a source on the way up and it is filtered so no need for purification. Bring snacks too. You''ll need the fuel.

- I''ve done the hike in both running shoes and heavier hiking boots. I recommend the boots because it''s pretty sketchy coming down the mountain and you''ll want that extra traction. I remember my feet sliding down when I wore the running shoes. Scary.

- Bring gloves. The cables to the top are rough on the hands and sometimes hard to grip. Sometimes there are some grimy gloves at the base of the cables, but I''d bring my own. I did for my 2nd two hikes.

I guess that''s the last thing: It''s tough coming down (a lot tougher than going up). I would LOVE a proposal at the top of half dome, but I would be so giddy on the way down and that would worry me. Make sure she keeps her eyes on the trail and not on the bling!!!

Best of luck to you guys and be sure to let us know how it goes!!!
36.gif

wishful

Brilliant_Rock
Have you hiked Half Dome before? I did Upper Yosemite Falls once and by the end of it I thought I was going to die.
However if someone had given me a diamond at the top it would have given me an awesome distraction from the painful 96 switchbacks down! LOL!

Just make sure she''s not standing near the edge when you propose!
2.gif

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
If you are both experienced hikers, go for it and make the plan! I would definitely have an alternate plan in the event you don't make it all the way up - keep your eyes peeled for an alternate spot on the way up...no shortage of great places on the way.

Make sure she doesn't wear it on the way back down the dome - you'll end up with scratches for sure!

I wonder if it would be neat to do it just before heading on the trail... symbolic of starting TWO great journeys together...to make that long hike VERY memorable! You could say some things that make her think you are talking about the hike "honey, this is going to be a long journey, some tough parts and some really beautiful parts - are you ready to do this with me?" you get the point ;-) and then - shazam - lay it on her!!

Rather than you being distracted the whole way up and she being clueless...you know? She'll be giddy with happiness the whole way and you have a full day to enjoy that in a beautiful setting.

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. To answer some of the questions, no, neither one of us has ever done this hike before. We aren''t super experienced hikers, and she has done much more than me. She worked up in Glacier NP for awhile and did lots of hiking there. We currently live in the midwest, so not much mountain hiking here to train on. We''ve talked about the climb and whether or not we should do it in one day or two and we are currently thinking on two days with a stop at Little Yosemite Valley overnight so that we can take our time and really enjoy our time at the top. She doesn''t know what I''m planning, so this is working out great for me. I won''t let her wear it on the way down, so that won''t be a problem.

But do you guys have any alternate ideas in case we don''t make the climb? I don''t know Yosemite at all, seeing as I''ve never been there and I want a backup plan in case. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
although it might seem like doing it in two days will make it easier - it doesn't. If you don't get up and down in one day, you are going to be lugging a tent, sleeping bags, more water, food, etc. in and out! the ONLY advantage to camping is getting an early start in the morning and being ahead of other people -- it will not make the hike any easier!

get a super early start and do some running ahead of time to get your cardio in shape! i made it up and down in 10 hours the first time i went - was 'sort of' a hiker then. as long as you aren't completely green and get a very early start, you can do it...may not be so good at walking the next day though! just make sure you bring plenty of water and drink it!

even if you don't do the hike, check out the "mist trail" - it's the early portion of that hike, very cool!

yosemite has unlimited amazing places that would make a great proposal spot. don't worry about finding one - any of the falls hikes are fabulous too...the cathedral lakes trail tends to have less traffic...

i would suggest doing it at the early part of your trip, you really want to enjoy that fabulous time - being on vacation as a newly engaged couple will just make it that much better.

and you can get some great pictures of the ring with amazing vistas in the background to post here!

oh - and prepare to be amazed...i mean completely blown away when you first drive in to the valley...yosemite is a place like NO other!

depending on how much time you have, you can check out Mariposa grove too - mingle among the giants (sequoias) if you've never seen em and have tired feet, you can rest for a day and check out these amazing trees.

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Waterlilly - Thanks for the advice! I''ll tried to persuade her into doing it in one day. I still have some time to work on her. I might just end up carrying the ring around and when I come across the perfect spot, I''ll just propose then and there. But since neither one of us is green, we should be able to do it just fine. Just out of curiosity, do remember roughly how much time you spent at the top? I want to be able to do the whole proposal but still have time to enjoy the view. Thanks!

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
~ 45min at the top that first time (it was pretty chilly). then the 2nd time we spent 1-1.5 hours - it was a much nicer day.

another piece of advice...I know it will be hard, but try not to stop too many times on the drive in to take pictures at all the look out points. I remember spending a lot of time going "ack! pull over!" and stopping so much it took hours longer than it needed to - only to find that I could get just as amazing pics once i was actually in the valley. The other times I've been back, I just keep on driving - definitely enjoying the view, but there will be plenty to see once you actually get there too!

something else to keep in mind - the altitude you are going to be at, some people can experience some symptoms of altitude sickness from half dome & other hikes in Yosemite (8k+ feet). Don't be surprised you are more winded than usual - but when you get home you will feel like superman hiker!

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I''ve been up in the higher elevations before. My gf is from Idaho and has spent most of her life at higher elevations and in mountains, so she''s more used to it than I am. I doubt we''ll stop too many times to take pics and we''re more likely to take more once we get in the valley. But 45 mins at the top should be plenty long. That''ll give us enough time to rest and for me to do my thing. Thanks again for all the info. I really appreciate it!

wishful

Brilliant_Rock
Also for a less intense option - you could consider proposing in the large grass field at the base of Bridalveil Falls. Gorgeous setting (and a rather appropriate name might I add...
2.gif
)

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/11/2008 8:32:33 PM
Author: wishful
Also for a less intense option - you could consider proposing in the large grass field at the base of Bridalveil Falls. Gorgeous setting (and a rather appropriate name might I add...
2.gif
)

Thanks for the idea! I''ll keep it in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results