shape
carat
color
clarity

Yolo purchase/splurge

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
Hey all,
I am very tempted to buy boots that are way above what I should be spending ( wrong forum to post i suppose?). So this purchase should be nothing considering how much I've spent on gems, but I think of shoes as utilitarian and don't really spend much on them. Most I've spent are 60 and 80 and shoes I couldn't say no to. The rest are 50 or under. I usually wear sneakers and wear something.else occasionally (I dress for comfort and since most of them are stored away i just.reach for what s easiest to get to). I have a lot of shoes and a handful of boots and I've only.started wearing boots more often. So anyway, I found some boots i really like, but they'll cost upwards of 130-150, waaay more than I'm ever willing to spend on shoes and far.above my budget! Especially now that I'm going to meet Yvonne Raley to look at her stock. I want to save the money for a gem but damn I just have to have these boots! I shouldn't even spend at all! There aren't any lookalikes or anything similar too. I'm about say "f it, yolo!" I don't want to regret not buying these shoes and they sell out.

Sorry about the rant. Have you ever thrown spending reservations in the air and was it worth it? Gems and jewelry are ok but I'd like to hear about non gems or jewelry.
And do you think I should buy the shoes?? The brand is frye.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The gems will probably cost in excess of $500 (arround 1000 once set), even for the less expensive basic options.

$70 extra for the boots is not much in the scheme of things. I would just buy the boots -- as long as they are warm and comfortable enough for daily wear.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey all,
I am very tempted to buy boots that are way above what I should be spending ( wrong forum to post i suppose?). So this purchase should be nothing considering how much I've spent on gems, but I think of shoes as utilitarian and don't really spend much on them. Most I've spent are 60 and 80 and shoes I couldn't say no to. The rest are 50 or under. I usually wear sneakers and wear something.else occasionally (I dress for comfort and since most of them are stored away i just.reach for what s easiest to get to). I have a lot of shoes and a handful of boots and I've only.started wearing boots more often. So anyway, I found some boots i really like, but they'll cost upwards of 130-150, waaay more than I'm ever willing to spend on shoes and far.above my budget! Especially now that I'm going to meet Yvonne Raley to look at her stock. I want to save the money for a gem but damn I just have to have these boots! I shouldn't even spend at all! There aren't any lookalikes or anything similar too. I'm about say "f it, yolo!" I don't want to regret not buying these shoes and they sell out.

Sorry about the rant. Have you ever thrown spending reservations in the air and was it worth it? Gems and jewelry are ok but I'd like to hear about non gems or jewelry.
And do you think I should buy the shoes?? The brand is frye.

Yes definitely YOLO and I have splurged on boots. At least I consider it a splurge. I spent $800 plus tax on my Over the Thigh Stuart Weitzman boots and spend $600 plus tax (the prices have gone up since I went on my boot splurge the past few years so they are higher now) on most of my SW boots of which I have well over 20 pairs. I am embarrassed to count how many I have and it might even exceed 30 pairs.:oops2: I duplicated many because we have 2 homes so I don't want to bring all the colors back and forth depending on what I am wearing. I did get some of them on sale too though so that helps.

Here are my most expensive boots. Super comfortable. Worth every penny IMO. I will add that I did agonize over the first few SW purchases as they are the most expensive shoes I ever purchased but after the first few it got a lot easier. :lol:
stuartweitzmanlowland.jpg

All this to say if they are comfortable and you will wear them go for it. I evaluate expensive purchases generally on PPW. Price Per Wear. So for me it makes it very worthwhile. I wear the boots much of the autumn and spring and all winter long and I do wear most of them as I switch colors on a daily basis so IMO not wasteful at all. I make use of all my SW boots.

And Frye is a good brand. Quality from what I understand so that makes it a worthwhile purchase if you are going to love and wear them. IMO.

goforit.jpg

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Frye boots last so they are worth every penny. I have had one of my Frye pairs for over 10 years and still wear them a lot. Just try to choose a timeless style (most Fryes are!).

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem with shoes is it's so hard to know how they'll wear! It could be totally worth it if they're comfy and hold up. I splurged a few years ago on a pair of Fluevog boots (Canadian designer) after someone I knew vouched for them being super well made and great customer service...well they fell apart after 4 uses and the company ignored my messages. Not making that mistake again! o_O

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I view shoes and boots as expensive necessities because they are important for the comfort and well being of the rest of your body. I do feel that 200-300 for a well made and comfortable pair of boots is not too much for me. I love @missy's boots! I have 6 pairs of Earth boots with another on the way because they are so comfortable and wear so well. Plus their sandals are great too. Frye are excellent too as @ceg said. If you find a pair you like locally you might want to try 6pm.com because they have many good brands and are cheaper because they are closeouts from Zappos.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Frye boots last so they are worth every penny. I have had one of my Frye pairs for over 10 years and still wear them a lot. Just try to choose a timeless style (most Fryes are!).

This! !! Plus they're super comfortable as well. Mine have always had that cushioned insole... I much prefer leather shoes to sneakers. More breathable, better for your feet.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
Buy them. Frye boots are worth the cost, it's cheap in the cost per wear because they will last forever. I love my Fryes!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
So I’m the the minority here, but I do not like Fryes. I find I slip in them often and have to break them in with painful blisters. That’s just me though.

I do love SW, and have shelled out $600+ for SW boots. Worth every penny.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
It is hardly an outrageous price.

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
The problem with shoes is it's so hard to know how they'll wear! It could be totally worth it if they're comfy and hold up. I splurged a few years ago on a pair of Fluevog boots (Canadian designer) after someone I knew vouched for them being super well made and great customer service...well they fell apart after 4 uses and the company ignored my messages. Not making that mistake again! o_O
Oh wow, I can't believe that happened to Fluevog boots. I own at least 5 pairs.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i can't remember, they are tall boots w/ a chunky heel, fabric on the outside and leather on the inside. they were funky & a total splurge! the heel came apart and i get so irritated when i see them that they have been shoved in the back of the closet for years waiting to be taken somewhere for a repair o_O

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
There is nothing quite like a fabulous pair of shoes. These seem reasonably fabulous and not exorbitant. I say go for it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buy the boots @Shijitake!

I bought a purse. Liked pictures of it - a Prada Esplanade. Wayyyy more than I wanted to spend on a purse, as I wasn't in the market for a purse at all :bigsmile:
And I use it nearly every day - it's just the perfect "work bag". Completely unexpected and unplanned win on price per wear!

Last edited:

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
@qubitasaurus i don't think they're warm, they're leather so probably thin?
@missy two houses and several $800 boots?? Damn what do you do for a living? Nice boots btw!
@ceg 10 years! Wow I don't think I've ever had shoes for that long. May be one but it's all beat up and fugly. My feet grew too :/
@bludiva sorry to hear that happened!
Everyone else, thank you for your input!

Thanks to you all I feel my splurge is justified and I will do my best to wear them frequently. Need to buy some boot friendly pants since most of mine are baggyish. Did I mention they're ankle boots? That's part reason I felt the price was kinda high. I have a Steve Madden one and it was only 80 (though got it on sale for 60). Now it's just a matter of getting my size or a half size up. I'd be angry if my.feet grew again. I have a couple unworn and loved shoes that I can't wear now :(

Sorry for any typos and such. Not easy typing on a tablet. And sorry for the use of yolo. It's a dumb catchphrase lol.

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
Oh, no I can't decide on the color!

@yssie show us that prada :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are beautiful inside and out @missy!!

And this comment made me laugh out loud :kiss2:

Aww thanks @yssie and I feel the same about you. XO.

@missy two houses and several $800 boots?? Damn what do you do for a living? Nice boots btw!

Thank you and LOL. Well now I am retired but I worked for a non profit with developmentally challenged adults and children for decades and made not much money at all. But it was a very rewarding career. I think if one chases one's passions one generally does well. That and hard work and perseverance and saving. I saved a lot of money forgoing expensive things and vacations for a very long time. I had an end goal (purchasing my first home in my 20s) and I always kept that in sight.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww thanks @yssie and I feel the same about you. XO.

Thank you and LOL. Well now I am retired but I worked for a non profit with developmentally challenged adults and children for decades and made not much money at all. But it was a very rewarding career. I think if one chases one's passions one generally does well. That and hard work and perseverance and saving. I saved a lot of money forgoing expensive things and vacations for a very long time. I had an end goal (purchasing my first home in my 20s) and I always kept that in sight.
Liar! She makes those boot fetish videos that are pay per view!:twisted2::lol::whistle:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buy the boots @Shijitake!

I bought a purse. Liked pictures of it - a Prada Esplanade. Wayyyy more than I wanted to spend on a purse, as I wasn't in the market for a purse at all :bigsmile:
And I use it nearly every day - it's just the perfect "work bag". Completely unexpected and unplanned win on price per wear!

I bought the same bag Yssie. It’s the perfect everyday bag.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone, I finally bought the boots! Problems is, it is not in a great condition! While I didn't expect it to be in pristine condition considering it's from 6pm, I didn't expect it to be so bad either. For $162, I expected them to take some care of it. Here are pics. The top part were "squished" and folded into itself (no papers keeping it in shape) and I had to stretch them out. There are some minor dents on the sole. Should I keep or return it?

20190929_222438.jpg 20190929_222444.jpg 20190929_222448.jpg 20190929_222454.jpg 20190929_222500.jpg 20190929_222506.jpg 20190929_222514.jpg 20190929_222518.jpg 20190929_222522.jpg 20190929_222526.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone, I finally bought the boots! Problems is, it is not in a great condition! While I didn't expect it to be in pristine condition considering it's from 6pm, I didn't expect it to be so bad either. For $162, I expected them to take some care of it. Here are pics. The top part were "squished" and folded into itself (no papers keeping it in shape) and I had to stretch them out. There are some minor dents on the sole. Should I keep or return it?

20190929_222438.jpg 20190929_222444.jpg 20190929_222448.jpg 20190929_222454.jpg 20190929_222500.jpg 20190929_222506.jpg 20190929_222514.jpg 20190929_222518.jpg 20190929_222522.jpg 20190929_222526.jpg
Return. You should feel excited and delight, not hesitation.

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
I really like this one specifically. Something about the split at the top part. I mean, am I being picky about the dents and folds?

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
I really like this one specifically. Something about the split at the top part. I mean, am I being picky about the dents and folds?

@Shijitake, the boots are cute. I believe your shoes are the Frye Natalie Short Engineer boots, listed on the Frye website: https://www.thefryecompany.com/products/natalie-short-engineer-3478498-78498-black. If you buy directly from Frye, I think it'll cost $150 after the 25% discount and hopefully they'll give you a pair that is less folded/dented.

I'm a firm believer in spending money on the quality things that separate you from the ground (tires, mattresses, shoes). Get the shoes, and wear them in good health. =)2

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
@Shijitake, the boots are cute. I believe your shoes are the Frye Natalie Short Engineer boots, listed on the Frye website: https://www.thefryecompany.com/products/natalie-short-engineer-3478498-78498-black. If you buy directly from Frye, I think it'll cost $150 after the 25% discount and hopefully they'll give you a pair that is less folded/dented.

I'm a firm believer in spending money on the quality things that separate you from the ground (tires, mattresses, shoes). Get the shoes, and wear them in good health. =)2

It is indeed that shoe! They don't have the color i want it in and the closest one is $348 :eek2: I'm considering going down a half size. I fit 5.5 but buy 6.5 for boots since its more comfortable. Apparently when it comes to shoes we wear sizes that are actually too small so I'm probably really a 6.5. Anyway, a 6 should fit and it's on ebay. Or I could buy a different color from their site. Darn. I have to think.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results