shape
carat
color
clarity

Yoga

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jewels305

Shiny_Rock
I have always wanted to try Yoga but I have been afraid to join a class because I am nervous that even if I joined a beginner''s class because I know so little about yoga.

So instead, I have ordered some instructional yoga DVDs and I am hoping that these DVDs will teach me the basics and that if I enjoy it, I will feel more comfortable joining a class.

Does anyone here have any experience with yoga either in a class or through DVDs? I am hoping that I will enjoy them and that it will motivate me to go further and eventaully try out a class!!
4.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have done both. When I started a class I talked to the instructor before class and told her I was new and stayed sort of in the back but yet so I could see her. Just an fyi on yoga etiquette be careful not to step on peoples yoga mats and not wear your shoes into class; leave them outside. The tapes are great. Do you know what type of yoga is taught in your class?

Jewels305

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the tips on yoga etiquette, Skippy! Definitely good to know if I do end up taking a class. I''m glad to hear that you liked the videos!

Although I am not thinking about enrolling in a class quite yet, the classes offered at my gym are called "Hatha Yoga" and it is described as, "An eclectic class including kripalu, asthanga, iyengar, and vinasa techniques. Perform a series of ''asanas'' and relaxing techniques."

Above is why I am afraid to join a yoga class as a beginner!!
32.gif

I''m not sure what kind of yoga the DVDs are, but they are both for beginners. I can''t wait for them to come in!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Hi Jewels (I love your avatar!),
I've been doing yoga on and off for the past couple years, in different settings. I did it at a personal training studio, at a 24 hour gym, and now I'm going to an actual yoga studio. Plus we have someone come to my office once a week (nice job perk!) But I'm not at all hardcore, and don't know most of the real names of the asanas (poses). I'm definitely still a beginner.

I think it's a good idea to use some tapes of DVDs first so you get the basic idea and learn some of the terminology.
However, if you can find someplace to take an introductory yoga class, I'd highly encourage you to do it. It's awesome! A good yoga teacher will be very flexible in working with you to modify poses to your ability level, and will ask if you have any injuries. Also, don't get freaked out by all the terms. You'll learn it all gradually and no one will expect you to know what they mean right off the bat.

The intensity of a class will really vary depending on where you do it. If it's at a gym, the classes will probably be aimed a little more at the "exercise" end of the spectrum rather than the "relaxing/balancing" end. However, they are used to new people coming all the time, and will keep it relatively simple. I have yet to see an advanced crazy pretzel balancing pose at a gym yoga class.

The general form of an hour-long session goes like this:
opening meditation (sitting cross-legged, breathing)
opening stretches (slow stretching of the whole body)
sun salutations (a series of more active poses)
balancing poses (standing on one leg, that sort of thing)
more stretching
closing meditation (stretched out on the floor-SOOOOO relaxing
24.gif
)

I think you'll really enjoy it. So many people feel self-conscious about yoga, but no one's judging you.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've done yoga on and off.

The beginner one I love is a Kundalini one. It's really weird (I'm betting for a lot of people), but if you're looking for a more unique DVD, you may like it:

http://www.amazon.com/Kundalini-Beginners-Beyond-MATRIX-OPTION/dp/B000BRM992/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1211417344&sr=8-20

With that one, it has you chanting outloud, so it's best to do when nobody is home.
2.gif

My husband and I both like this beginner one:

http://www.amazon.com/Crunch-Candlelight-Yoga-Sara-Ivanhoe/dp/B00006FMB2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1211417438&sr=1-4

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Jewels!

I''ve been doing yoga for a few months now. I absolutely love it. I do a program on FitTV called Namaste Yoga. It comes on daily at 11:30 am CST and several times a week around 8pm.

I wanted to do something that wasn''t yelling at me "3 more, 2 more!" And, I needed something that would help me unwind but also strengthen and increase flexibility. The Namaste Yoga opens each program (which is a series) with a warm-up that I continue through the first commercial break (wish I had a TiVo!) Then it goes into the vinasa. One pose is added to the previous with breathing time between. So, you know what is expected the next sequence. Each show has a different main pose which is what you strive to do. I usually have time for 2 more sequences during the 2nd commercial break, then the end of the show is a cool-down and meditation.

I would love to go to an actual yoga class but there just aren''t any in my area. But, I get a good workout and have really increased my strength and flexibility since January.

I have tried several yoga DVDs through the years but I wasn''t really into any of them, so if these first DVDs aren''t what you''re looking for, try another yogi. HERE IS A LINK that you can use to see what "kind" of yoga you''ll like. The Namaste Yoga I do is referred to as "Hatha Vinyasa Yoga"

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I''ve done most of my yoga work at home from DVD''s. I''m hoping to find some affordable classes in the near future, but most of the local ones don''t work with my schedule well. I have had success with the DVDs though and can feel where I''m working myself, and where I''m becoming more limber. I love yoga, it makes me feel good, and I feel more energized afterwards. Definitely try out the DVD''s.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Please don''t be afraid to go to a beginner class! Yoga is absolutely amazing and it''s best to get the instructions first from an actual teacher. They can inform you if you are doing the posture correctly (sometimes it feels as if you are, but they can actually see you and correct you if necessary). After a few classes then you can switch to DVDs because you are better informed. I don''t think you can get the full benefits without trying a few face to face courses first. Also, in my experience, there is nothing to be afraid of. People are very kind and there is always someone there doing worse than you are! No reason to be embarrassed or anything. Just make sure you clean up your feet nicely! Good luck!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I was scared the first time I went to a class at a yoga studio, but it was really good. Just tell the instructor that you''re new, and ask for modifications if you need them. They should show you alternate ways to do the poses if you can''t get into that position yet. It''s really good to have someone critique your form, because you CAN hurt yourself if you aren''t doing things right. Good luck! and enjoy!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2008 11:34:37 AM
Author: sumbride
I was scared the first time I went to a class at a yoga studio, but it was really good. Just tell the instructor that you''re new, and ask for modifications if you need them. They should show you alternate ways to do the poses if you can''t get into that position yet. It''s really good to have someone critique your form, because you CAN hurt yourself if you aren''t doing things right. Good luck! and enjoy!
That is EXACTLY what I did. I kept thinking I should have gone sooner; it is wonderful and you feel yourself slowly getting strong!! Don''t hesitate to go to a class, you will be glad you did!
35.gif

Jewels305

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone, you have all gotten me pumped about Yoga! My DVDs are already ordered and on their way, so I will still try them out, but I am also going to look into taking classes during the summer.

Thank you all for the good advice and encouragement!!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results