shape
carat
color
clarity

Yet another shampoo/conditioner advice thread!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
The title of my thread should be edited to: Yet another shampoo/conditioner advice NEEDED thread! (I wish I had good advice to give!)

I will be getting highlights on Thursday (partial) and have not had them for a long time. When I did have them, I had the darndest time finding the right shampoo to keep my hair hydrated. My hair is shoulder length, fine and I have been told by several stylists that I have a ton of it (never been told I have thick hair though, go figure). My hair is straight to wavy, depending on the level of humidity. Though I like to refrain from heat styling as it gets warmer, I know I will use my hair dryer and also will use my GHD flat iron when I want to go straight. I plan to buy a salon quality hair dryer and probably going to go with one of the Chi's out there.

So, getting back to my issue, I am looking for high quality hair care products to take care of my highlights. The last few times I had them (over 5 years ago), my hair became very dry and I was using salon products. I currently use Chi iron guard, straight guard and the serum for blow-outs and when I flat iron, which have all worked well. However, I am wondering if in the addition of new shampoo/conditioner, I will need additional leave in products. So any suggestions would be helpful.

Also, I have searched through past threads here and found that Pureology, Kerastase and Aveda seem popular picks for color treated/highlighted hair. However, I was wondering if anyone using these products (or others) with my hair type (or similar) could suggest a particular line of those (or other) products I should try using.

PS>>>>thanks to everyone who posted to threads concerning flat irons. Information on those threads lead me to my beloved GHD! I was so close to getting a Chi, but I after a flat iron test between the GHD (from Sephora) and my mom's Chi nano, the GHD was easier for me to use (it should be noted that I am really bad at styling my hair...but my mom's thick/course hair looks great after she uses her Chi).

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
omie - it sounds like you and I might have similar hair - there''s lots of it, but each individual strand is not thick or coarse, but rather sort of fine, so it leads to just having TONS of hair!

My hair has been through a lot of changes in the last year, including coloring for the first time, but also getting more dry with age, and also with regular use of my GHD (I LOVE mine too!), and other styling tools, which I had never used before.

I''ve tried multiple different shampoos and conditioners, and have had the best luck with the Frederic Fekkai ones. I use the curl enhancing shampoo and conditioner most days, and alternate in the glossing shampoo and conditioner occasionally for additional shine. These are pricy, but I LOVE the way they make my hair look - seriously, night and day from the stuff I was using before.

If you just want to try them, you can get the tiny bottles of it at Sephora and at some Pure Beauty stores (probably other places as well) - definitely worth a shot!

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like my hair is very similar to yours. Mine is just a little past my shoulders, fine and I have a lot of hair. I''m lucky they don''t charge by the foil!! I use pureology and love it. I have used both the super straight and the volumizing. My hair has never been in better condition, and it is fabulous for color treated hair.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For daily shampooing and conditioning, I love Pureology products. I use the hydrating line. They tend to be pricey, but they are concentrated, so a little goes a long way and one bottle of shampoo actually lasts me almost three months. The other perk to Pureology is that it doesn''t irritate my eczema. No sulfates.

For deep conditioning, I use Alterna Repair Treatment Conditioner.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
AG - From what you describe, our hair does seem similar and thank you for suggesting the Fekkai line. This line had been mentioned this line in previous posts, but was not sure if it would be a good one to try for my hair. Given your praise, I will look into the line ASAP. I am glad you are still enjoying your GHD!! :) I have had mine for only a few weeks, but I have had a wonderful experience with it thus far.

tiffanytwisted - (your doggie is cute) I had to laugh when you said that you were lucky that they did not charge by the foil! When I first had highlights done, the stylist underestimated the amount of hair I had and had to create extra mixture for me and ran out of foil (there was more in the supply room). At the end, she said she needed to take her break, as my head exhausted her (she was being funny)! Can you relate to this on some level AG? :)

Housecat - I like that Pureology does not have sulfates, as I have sensitive skin. Alterna makes great products too, will look into their treatment conditioner as well.

It sounds like Fekkai and Pureology lines will be great places for me to start...Thanks gals for your advice!
1.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2009 3:32:59 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I love Pureology too.. but I am seriously tempted to try the Wen line, its a no shampoo way of cleaning your hair. (ok ok I saw the infomercial at 3am while I was at work. LOL) Still...... very tempted!!!
I totally got sucked in by that infomercial, too!! I''m too wussy to try it, though.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I actually LOVE the aussie brand DEEP 3 minute miracle. I put it on after washing, and let it sit in while I shave... by the end of my shave, I wash it out... really gave my over-processed hair a good softness.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Another pureology fan here!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh SDL, I''m anxious to hear your reaction if you do try it!!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Wella In Depth is a wonderful product! I use it after color treatments. You can get it at Sally''s for about $6.00 (giant tub).

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Kerastase user here. LOVE it. and like you i have lots of thin hair. my hair went through a straw phase and i was very concerned. but ever since finding Kerastase, my hair is silky + shiny. i use the chroma riche line.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alfaparf Seduction shampoo & conditioner. It makes my dry, colored, straightened hair feel wonderful, luxurious, & silky & makes it very shiny.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all of your responses ladies!

So it still looks like Fekkai and Pureology are favorites amongst the group. My question is, should I go with hydrating or color-treated in terms of my selection? My hair is fine and can dry out if too much is done to it and I know highlighting it is going to make matters worse!

Kerastase is another line I am interested in learning more about, so thanks jcrow for providing me the linky! :)

SDL - thanks for suggesting Fekkai''s glossing creme. Apparently, it is very popular on Sephora and am reading great reviews of it now! I have never heard of the Wen line, so please post pictures of your beautiful hair after trying it (I am still loving your hair color, but I think it looks like you have been playing with the shade, I could be wrong, but it looks fab).

tlh - So funny you mentioned the aussie brand DEEP 3 minute miracle! I used that several years ago back in HS and I liked it then. No harm in revisiting an old favorite, right?!

LAJennifer - I have heard good things about Wella and will look into "In Depth" soon.

Matata - Alfaparf Seduction is new to me, will check info out on that. Thanks for suggesting it, as I always love learning about new products!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I have similar hair. I have roots done, and trimmed every 5 weeks. I use shampoo and conditioner for colour treated hair most of the time, and that is what my colourist suggests too. In the salon I go to, I heard that Pureology outsells all of their other products combined. I am going to get more tomorrow as a matter of fact. Also, my stylist suggested that I only shampoo every other day, so that''s what I do. For my age (47), my hair looks pretty good, not ultra dry or frizzy, just healthy and shiny.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2009 8:39:00 PM
Author: lyra
Also, my stylist suggested that I only shampoo every other day.
Glad to hear your hair is in pretty good condition. When I highlighted my hair several years ago, I found I could get away with washing my hair every other day, which I think helped a great deal. Of course, I was not using a flat iron then, just blow-drying.

So, do you use Pureology for color treated hair, or something else?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
*****THREADJACK!*****

SDL, just wanted to say that I love your new avatar! You look great, and that beautiful smile leaves me to assume that things are going very well for you!

Threadjack over. Alas, i have no suggestions to offer!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
My BFF swears by Aveda for her color treated hair (highlights/lowlights). She turned me on to their styling products; they are every bit as good as the hype. At least they have been for me.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Since I go to the Fekkai salon, it''s been easier for me to just get all of my product there. I use both the technician line of shampoo and conditioner and the luscious curls because I have thick - curly, color treated hair.

I''m another huge fan of the glossing cream. And another product that I use is the Carol''s Daughter Hair milk. It''s right up there with the glossing cream, especially for people with curly hair. The Carol''s Daughter products are either a a CD store or Sephora. However, most of the time, the hair milk is sold out.

I''ve been putting off going, but it''s time for some new color.

About the Aveda, in terms of natural hair care product, Aveda is hard to beat, but their hair color fades away so freaking fast. When we moved here, Aveda was the first place I tried and even though I loved my cut and color and everything, it just didn''t last. And when you''re paying that much for color, you kind of want it to last. I will say that the Be Curly line of product is pretty amazing.

In addition, a lot of people like Bumble and Bumble product. I don''t know personally because I don''t change my product very often. Before I used the Fekkai stuff, I used Matrix/Biolage products for a loooong time.

And, I also have to say that SDL is looking pretty fabulous. Work it!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I used to use salon brands when I was working, but now that I''m a SAHM I''ve cut back on my product expenses. My hairdresser recommended the John Frieda Brilliant Brunette "Lustrous Touch" line, and I really like the products. I still use Fekkai Glossing Cream, but that is my one haircare "splurge" besides my salon color.

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a big fan of Davines. I've also used the Kerastase Chroma Reflect line in the past when I've had highlights. For me personally, I found that Kerastase caused a lot of build-up and weighed my hair down (their Bain Satin line does the same thing to my hair too). So I had to use a clarifying shampoo, which really defeats the purpose of a color protecting shampoo/conditioner. That was just my experience though.

ETA: One Kerastase product I would really recommend though is the Aqua Oleum treatment. It leaves my hair moisturized and super shiny for about 3-4 weeks. Also, you might like Alterna products. They're sulfate free and really good for color treated hair.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
I use the Fekkai glossing creme as well - it is the best!! I''ve tried the Fekkai shampoo and conditioner and wasn''t as amazed.

For Christmas I got Aveda colour conserve but I''m also not a huge fan.

Clearly, I''m looking for a new shampoo/conditioner combo as well :)

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m an Aveda girl!
9.gif

I love their Color Conserve line, and I use all three steps (the shampoo, the conditioner, and the weekly treatment). But, I use the Smooth Infusion shampoo and conditioner on days when I want my hair to be straighter. (It''s naturally wavy and gets frizzy when it''s humid.) I''ve also tried the Dry Remedy line, and I love it ~ especially the smell!
30.gif

As far as styling products go, I use the Smooth Infusion Style-Prep Smoother and the Light Elements Smoothing Fluid on days when I''m trying to straighten, and the Be Curly Curl Enhancer and Be Curly Curl Control on days when I''m feeling lazy and decide to just "go with it." LOL!
37.gif

My hair is color treated, and I used to go to an Aveda salon. I didn''t feel like the color faded too fast . . . maybe I was just lucky! The only reason I switched salons is because my stylist switched. (I''m like RELIGIOUSLY loyal to her ~ she''s fabulous!) So now I go to a Redken salon. I''ve only been there once so far because she just recently switched, but I''m scheduled to go again this week. The Redken color is good, but I think I liked the Aveda color just a little tiny bit more. (Maybe I''m just not used to the Redken stuff yet . . . trying not to judge it unfairly!)
21.gif

niccia

Shiny_Rock
Love pureology, esp the hydrating line. However, I think I may like the Aveda Smooth Infusion line even more. It is amazing. I don''t do a lot with color, but I have used both Redken and Aveda glossing and semi-permanents. The Aveda definitely washes out a lot faster, and my hair doesn''t feel as silky for as long. I prefer Redken EQ...has anyone tried Matrix? I don''t like matrix shampoo/conditioner, but I just moved to a new city, and the top salon uses only matrix. I already had my hair cut there, and the girl was great so I want to go back, I am just a little concerned about having matrix color done.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2009 5:56:52 PM
Author: jcrow
Kerastase user here. LOVE it. and like you i have lots of thin hair. my hair went through a straw phase and i was very concerned. but ever since finding Kerastase, my hair is silky + shiny. i use the chroma riche line.
I use this line too. I am a single process blonde and love this stuff, the mask smells gorgeous, like violet candy. This line really gives beautifully shiny hair too. It is my favourite but I do find mixing things up with hair products can be good.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results