shape
carat
color
clarity

Yet Another Hawaii Thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Husband and I were married a few weeks ago but because our our crazy schedules we aren''t taking our honeymoon until December. We''re in the process of booking a trip to Hawaii now, but I have a few questions before I book:

I''m wondering which island(s) will be best for us? We love the beach, but even on beach vacations we can''t seem to stay put on the beach for long. We love fitting as much as humanly possible into a vacation as possible and Hawaii was appealing to us because there seem to be so many things to do. We love hiking, mountain (or in this case valcano) climbing, we love ATV rides on vacation, basically any type of outdoor, adventurous activity.

We don''t really enjoy shopping and also, my husband has a fear of water. He likes swimming in it, but I think that snorkeling or scuba diving would make him anxious so those things aren''t a priority.

Our initial plan was to stay in Maui because i like the balance of plenty of things to do, but not an excessive amount of crowds. After reading through many threads I''m wondering if we should stay a few nights in Kauai? Also, we absolutely plan to summit Mauna Kea on the Big Island and we''re debating staying there for one night vs. taking an early morning flight and returning later that evening? Has anybody ever done this? We plan to hike from 9,000 feet, which is a six mile trek and I need to give myself some time to acclimitize. Still, I don''t think the hike should take more than 5 - 6 hours.

Just looking for some insight before we book--I know that this topic has been discussed MANY times and i''ve read through many old posts, but just wanted to see what advice there is for couples who aren''t good at relaxing!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kauai is beautiful. Most honeymooners go there when we have been there. It is a quiet island, not much night life. Kauai is hubby and my favorite island.

Honolulu is a busy island very touristy, if that is what you are looking for. A lot of night life. Maui is pretty too, beautiful beaches.

Linda

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been to Oahu, Kauai, Maui and The Big Island. My favorites and the ones I'd go back to first would be Maui and The Big Island.

First of all, go buy the "Revealed" series before leaving for the islands. They were absolutely invaluable to us during our trips.

I don't like crowds either, which is why I didn't enjoy Oahu as much as the other islands. It has its place, and I have some favorite things to go to there (Ono Hawaiian Foods, anyone???), friends (and now family) that live there that we like to visit, but it's just too built up for me. Good for 2-3 days, but I'd rather spend the bulk of a trip elsewhere.

Maui is a favorite, but I don't like Lahaina and Kihei/Wailea as much as HANA. I could spend weeks in Hana. If you're not already aware, Hana is on the east side of the island and requires a LONG drive along a windy (not the wind kind, the curvy kind) 2 lane road on the cliff's edge to get there... hence a lack of crowds
2.gif
Some of my favorite places in the WORLD are within a short drive of Hana. If you google "hana maui guide" or read about it in the Maui Revealed book, you'll see an abundance of great spots to visit. There are countless PHENOMENAL hiking and swimming opportunities in/near Hana.

I can't tell you how much I love it. I LOVE IT.

Kauai is supposed to have great snorkeling, but honestly I found what the Big Island has to be better. The best snorkeling I've ever done, without question, was at the Place of Refuge (south of Kona on TBI). We were absolutely surrounded by schools of fish, too many different kinds to count, and sea turtles were swimming alongside us. I think we spent close to two hours in the water, even though it was a little rainy and chilly. Very easy rock-ledge entry to the water, and hardly any sand to muddy the view. Even with rain, the visibility was phenomenal (largely a comparison to the snorkel trip we did to Molokini [waste of time] and the snorkeling at Tunnels beach, as well as others, in Kauai).

We did the volcano hike (would not do it again until the flow moves closer to the trailhead... it took us nearly 10 hours and a few twisted ankles to get there and back), and we had to walk over HOT and barely hardened lava at the end to even see the flow. Anyway, my favorite hikes on TBI were on the east side, north of Hilo (lots of waterfalls to see!).

ETA: I just saw that water activities aren't a priority... in which case I would actually put my vote in for Kauai. The hiking there, IMO, is superior to the other islands. However, it's not my favorite at all, mostly because water is a HIGH priority for me!!
2.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, this is helpful. I read that the "revealed" series is great based on some older threads and have ordered the Maui Revealed already, though I think I''ll order others as well. I definitely like to learn as much as possbiel BEFORE going.

I love the idea of staying in Hana, even if it''s just a few nights. We love to go off the beaten path and we planned on taking the road to Hana, anyway, so why not stay a little while at the end :) My parents went to Hawaii for their 25th anniversary and said that the Road to Hana was nearly single-handedly responsible for a divorce. Kidding, I think Dan and I would love it.

Also, thanks for letting me know about the snorkeling. The thing is, I plan to do some snorkeling on my own, so though it''s not a big priority for both of us, I''d kind of like to get some good snorkeling in.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I got back from honeymoon on Kauai about a month ago...and I still haven't recovered!

I've been to the Big Island, Kauai, Maui and Oahu.

Of the places you are thinking about, I'd say Kauai and the Big Island are must see! They are both soooo lovely and amazing.

There is TONS of hiking on Kauai - and of all the island I've been on, it felt the most "hawaiian" if that makes any sense. It was so lovely and unspoiled. My DH and I absolutely FELL IN LOVE with Kauai. Sigh. I really miss it. In fact, this afternoon during lunch I was looking at Kauai real estate! Hehee! I will say that the ocean on Kauai tends to be a bit ruffer and may make your hubby even more nervous...however, depending on your budget, the Grand Hyatt Resort and Spa at Poipu on Kauai has an awesome multiple acre swimming lagoon. Ocean water and sand, but no rip tides and fish...And there is really amazing hiking...really amazing stuff.

The Big Island is also really amazing. Just super cool. I mean, volcanos, black sand beaches, etc. I would try to stay a night or two there as well.

I've been to Maui several times - and it is nice (better restaurants and more touristy things to do than the above islands for sure), but it is definitely more built up than either Kauai or the Big Island.

One thing I'll caution you against - My DH and I spent 8 days on Kaui, and frankly we felt rushed to see and do everything we wanted to see and do. It is an AMAZING place...as are all of the islands, really...so you might be better served to pick two islands at most...

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
One more thing about Kauai - there is some good snorkeling there. We snorkeled on Poipu Beach - not the best in the world, but it is relatively sheltered and your hubby might feel safe giving it a shot.

Here is where we snorkled on Poipu - you can see how sheltered it is!

We didn''t make it Tunnels and the northern part of the island because we ran out of time!

poipu.jpg

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some views you can take in following a 1 mile hike near the hyatt. LOVELY stuff!

shipwreck.JPG

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful pictures. Makes me want to go back there.
9.gif

Linda

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
We went to Hawaii a few years ago for my husband''s 50th birthday. We spent most of our time on Big Island, because I could fly out of Kona Airport. You can take a flight with the Hawaiian Flight Academy at Kona. Here is the southern tip of Big Island, southern most point of the 50 states.

SouthPoint.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
We are not resort people. We stayed at a B&B on Big Island. Nearest restaurant was about 10 miles away, and the people there were locals, not tourists. Here is the view from our bedroom patio, facing west.

OurView.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
We found this black sand beach at Ho''okena. Just a local county park, no fancy bars in sight. Kids playing in the sand, guys selling fresh coffee and macadamia nuts out of the trucks of their cars were the rule. We spent one afternoon here relaxing and snorkling. We are not beach people, but it sure was pretty.

Hookena2.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE all of these pictures. We are going to Honolulu in May for a wedding. Can''t wait for that.

Linda

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just an FYI; going to Hawaii over the holidays is double the price and most expensive time of year to go.
I have been to all the islands and Kauai is my favorite! If you go there the south shore is best since most of the island gets lots of rain up north. Here are pictures on page 1,2 and 4. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-was-your-trip-skippy.63700/

Linda, yay for going to Oahu!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
btw, FlyGirl and Littlelysser, your pictures are beautiful! Flygirl, did you fly your own plane to Kona? Wow!!!
3.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2007 4:35:40 PM
Author: Skippy123
FlyGirl and Littlelysser, your pictures are beautiful! Flygirl, did you fly your own plane to Kona? Wow!!!
3.gif
Skippy - I checked out in this Cessna 172 at Kona airport with this Japanese flight instructor. Then they let me rent the plane and I flew hubby around the island. Well, actually, we only got half-way around, then encountered some rain storms, and I turned around and flew back.

That airplane got to Hawaii many years ago on a special ferry flight where they loaded on lots of extra fuel tanks. There are ferry pilots who specialize in flying small planes over the ocean. I am not one of them.
1.gif

N7112Q.jpg

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
These pictures are making me really excited to go. I already wish we had more time (for now we''re planning on staying 8 nights)--maybe we''ll extend the trip.

Skippy, I''m definitely noticing that the prices for December are higher. In many ways, I wish we could have gone soon after our wedding in Sept--it''s cheaper to go next week than December....interesting
2.gif

I don''t want to push it back anymore, though. We really want to go back to Europe in the spring for honeymoon #2, so if we push it back any more the trip to Europe may get pushed back. We''re determined to go this year, so it looks like we''ll have to bite the bullet and go during an expensive season. I''m glad we came in under budget for the wedding--I don''t feel terrible about putting that towards the honeymoon.

So I think we can spend one day on the Big Island hiking Mauna Kea and not spend the night. I wish we could, but time doesn''t allow for it. We might spend 4 nights on Maui and 4 nights on Kauai, though. Ugh, we need more time!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here is a shot where you can see part of old Kona airport, located just south of the current Kona airport. The ocean is soooooo beautiful.

OldAirport.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would skip the Big Island if you are just doing 1 day there. It is so big and you will spend your time driving and traffic can be a little crazy during rush hour starting at 3pm. I am sure you will love Kauai and Maui and will want to come back to do the Big Island I am sure. Just a thought so you aren't so rushed.
20.gif
There are tons of hiking ops in Kauai; truly the adventurists vacation there! Kauai has amazing snorkeling, hiking, boating, horseback riding and atving.

Wow,who is in that pic Flygirl? Neat pictures and sounds like lots of fun!

Lots of snorkeling
img074.jpg

You can hike Waimea Canyon and Kalalua Trail

IMG_2311.JPG

IMG_2301.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2007 4:58:05 PM
Author: Skippy123
I would skip the Big Island if you are just doing 1 day there. It is so big and you will spend your time driving and traffic can be a little crazy during rush hour starting at 3pm. I am sure you will love Kauai and Maui and will want to come back to do the Big Island I am sure. Just a thought so you aren't so rushed.
20.gif

Wow,who is in that pic Flygirl? Neat pictures and sounds like lots of fun!
That was Japanese flight instructor, Ebi. He had just been featured in the Japanese language version of Esquire, and was considered quite the heartthrob!

ETA: His name means Shrimp, and since he was kind of small, apparently he has to endure all kinds of shrimp jokes.

Ebi1.jpg

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I think hiking Mauna Kea is priority #1 on the Hawaii list. My husband and I love mountain climbing and are climbing the highest point in every state. He just climbed Rainier two weeks before our wedding (I had to back out) and he''s planning a trip to Denali in Alaska next year. If we were to leave Hawaii without climbing the highest point, well, we''d probably not leave until we did, haha. So the Big Island is important to us, we would just prefer to not stay there overnight.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2007 4:49:20 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
These pictures are making me really excited to go. I already wish we had more time (for now we''re planning on staying 8 nights)--maybe we''ll extend the trip.

Skippy, I''m definitely noticing that the prices for December are higher. In many ways, I wish we could have gone soon after our wedding in Sept--it''s cheaper to go next week than December....interesting
2.gif

I don''t want to push it back anymore, though. We really want to go back to Europe in the spring for honeymoon #2, so if we push it back any more the trip to Europe may get pushed back. We''re determined to go this year, so it looks like we''ll have to bite the bullet and go during an expensive season. I''m glad we came in under budget for the wedding--I don''t feel terrible about putting that towards the honeymoon.

So I think we can spend one day on the Big Island hiking Mauna Kea and not spend the night. I wish we could, but time doesn''t allow for it. We might spend 4 nights on Maui and 4 nights on Kauai, though. Ugh, we need more time!
We went to Hawaii the end of January. The restaurants on Big Island were nearly always empty and we always got great tables next to the windows. We kept asking if it was the off-season, and they said that there was never an off-season in Hawaii. But I have to think that late January is a slower time since it is after the holidays.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2007 5:08:02 PM
I think hiking Mauna Kea is priority #1 on the Hawaii list. My husband and I love mountain climbing and are climbing the highest point in every state. He just climbed Rainier two weeks before our wedding (I had to back out) and he's planning a trip to Denali in Alaska next year. If we were to leave Hawaii without climbing the highest point, well, we'd probably not leave until we did, haha. So the Big Island is important to us, we would just prefer to not stay there overnight.
Okay, it was just a thought. I had a good friend climb Mt Rainier and he loved it; that is so cool!!! You will have a great time no matter what.
9.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I think hiking Mauna Kea is priority #1 on the Hawaii list. My husband and I love mountain climbing and are climbing the highest point in every state. He just climbed Rainier two weeks before our wedding (I had to back out) and he''s planning a trip to Denali in Alaska next year. If we were to leave Hawaii without climbing the highest point, well, we''d probably not leave until we did, haha. So the Big Island is important to us, we would just prefer to not stay there overnight.
Are you going to climb beginning at sea level, or are you going to drive almost to the top? We were going to drive up the mountain until we learned how twisty the roads were and how many hours it would take. I''m thinking that doing it all in one day plus flying to and from Big Island, will make for a very, very long day.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2007 5:18:15 PM
Author: Fly Girl

I''m thinking that doing it all in one day plus flying to and from Big Island, will make for a very, very long day.
I was thinking the same thing!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
In that case, I would stay 4 nights on the Big Island and 4 nights on EITHER Maui or Kauai.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
It will definitely be a long day, but 18 - 20 hour days are ideal for us on vacations. I think in Paris we averaged 3-4 hours sleep per night. And we''re used to climbing in spurts of 10+ hours. We aren''t climbing from sea level, it would take several days, but we plan to hike from about 9,000 feet, which is only a 5 - 6 hour trek to the summit. I think it will just depend on the flights available. If we can catch a 5 or even 6 a.m. flight, we should be good. Ideally, we''d leave earlier (most of our climbing trips start at 3 or 4 a.m.), but we''ll take what we can get. We''re used to using our headlamps BEFORE dawn, but we might be needing them for after dusk on this trip.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, you''ll have so much fun!

My husband and I just got back from a week on Oahu, and both of us have been to Maui and Kona before.

I have to say, I really loved the east side of Oahu, around Kualoa Ranch and the valley that has been the set for Lost, Mighty Joe Young, Jurassic Park, etc., and the Valley of the Temples, but hubby and I are huge, HUGE Lost fans, so our picture on Hurley''s Golf Course at Kuoloa was priceless to us. Also, North Shore is freakin'' amazing! We did our Trash The Dress session on Papioloa Beach which is the latest beach on which Lost is filmed.

I''m too lazy to downsize all of my pics from the trip, but here''s a link to our gallery and 300 pictures from our trip.

http://www.splitpixels.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=5878

And our pics from the TTD Session.

http://www.pictage.com/379977

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results