shape
carat
color
clarity

yet another e-ring noob... can ya help a guy out?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pottedmeat

Rough_Rock
I''ve been lurking around here for a few days and you folks seem to know what you''re talking about... I decided it''s finally time to make an honest woman out of the girlfriend, so I''ve been doing a little shopping around, surfing the internet, talking to jewelers, and taking regular doses of ibuprofen for this headache. Of course I''m becoming an expert overnight on diamond grading, etc., but I have to admit that I''ve never been accused of having too much taste or class, so I think I need someone with a little more3 aesthetic sense to double check my work. ;-)

So I''ve been to two of the chain jewelers (Jareds and Helzberg) and was thoroughly unimpressed, especially with Helzberg. I also went to an independent shop, and I think that''s where I''ll eventually drop my money.

Anyway, my original plan was a $5000 budget, but it looks like I''ll be stretching it a bit to $6000+, but it''s all good. She showed me two round stones:

Rock #1 $5900

1.02 ct.
G SI1
very good cut
EX-VG
table 55
depth 62.5
35 degree crown
41.2 degree pavillion
GIA cert

Rock #2
1.01 ct.
H SI1+ (It was explained to me that the + was somewhat artificial in the grading process. The stone was quite clean though)
EX-EX
table 56
depth 62
"ideal" cut
AGS cert - Did not have the papers/stats available but told me she could get me a copy Mon.

Both stones were indistinguishable to me side by side, so I was going to opt for #2 but I went looking on the web to see if I could find something matching for less. The closest stone I could come up with was this one from Blue Nile this one from Blue Nile. Between the wire discount and Ebates (please tell me you''ve heard of Ebates!) it''s a good $500+ discount. (This is all in Delaware, so sale tax isn''t a factor.) This one also scored an HCA of 1.8, which is encouraging despite being site unseen. I scoured a few of the other websites (Union, GoG, Whiteflash) but I couldn''t an exact match. (Union came close with a slightly higher graded diamond for less, but the certification was EGL, and I noted the consensus opinion here regarding their accuracy so I passed)

As for the mounting, they assured me that they could custom make anything I wanted as long as I had some photos. I showed her this right here and she quoted me an estimate of $1250 for platinum and a half carat''s worth of diamonds for the side mounts. Looking at Blue Nile''s pricing for similar platinum mounts, I think that''s a reasonable price. Looking at Tiffany''s pricing for the real thing, I think they''re insane.

I was also looking at these.... not at those prices of course, but for possible replicas. (And no, for the record, I wasn''t planning on getting boxes to pass them off as the real thing.)

I think this one is pretty simple, so it''s hard not to like.
Much more contemporary... I think it''s neat but I''m not sure it''ll fly with the missus.
This one''s a little more less stylized than the Tiffany, but it''s got class.

Anyway, the little woman''s a bit tough to shop for jewelry for considering she really doesn''t own/wear a whole lot of it. I think she''ll appreciate that somewhat art deco look the first mount has, but to be honest, it could be the most hideous thing ever and I probably wouldn''t be able to tell. I may even have to take a peek at the real thing to see if it lives up to the pictures.

In any event, any input, good, bad, or ugly would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The first stone checks out on the HCA, which means the next step is to get pictures and ideal scope images, though if you have seen it and like it that may be enough information. Before we can judge the second stone we need the rest of the angles and pictures or ideal scope images if you have them. I would be careful using a local jeweler for getting a setting... benchman quality varies greatly so be sure to look at LOTS of their work before you decide to buy. With settings you usually get what you pay for, IMO, and that price is fairly low for that ct. weight and platinum.

beechezz

Brilliant_Rock
I really can''t help you out with the diamonds, but I will say the 1st setting is very pretty and the safest bet! Congrats and please post hand pics after you propose!
emsmile.gif

Nervis

Rough_Rock
Ahoy, Pottedmeat.

I am by no means an expert (I''m about two weeks ahead of you... just received my stone yesterday), but one very very small thing to consider - if you''re interested in making your search even more confusing - is that the Blue Nile stone falls in the FIC range on the HCA.

Huh? I had the same look on my face that you probably have right now when someone told me a stone I was looking at fell in the BIC range, but I was able to learn a little more about the HCA ranges here. Seems like a personal preference thing.

I''m sure the real experts will weigh in shortly and help you out, but just for comparative purposes, take a look this guy:

1.02 G SI1

One step up in color and more documentation than Blue Nile (includes all those pretty scope images everyone on here will want to check out), and also an H&A "A Cut Above", so guaranteed ideal cut. With the Pricescope discount, it''d be closer in price to the first two you looked at, so obviously the Blue Nile would win on price, but this one probably has a slight edge in overall cut.

Have you been using Pricescope''s "cut quality search"? I found it super helpful.....

Anyway, you asked for input good, bad or ugly, this undoubtedly is the latter. Best of luck, Pottedmeat.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Make sure the AGS stone comes with a DQD, if it is a DQR then it is not cut graded, and the ''ideal cut grade is given by the store. Personally I think that stone is a little iffy, never heard of AGS giving a grade SI1+ before.

As long as you are looking at BN, found 2 AGS graded stones that you might be interested in.

1.0ct H SI1 for $5026, Cut graded AGS0.

1.15 H SI1 for 4985 Cut graded AGS1 due to ex polish instead of ideal polish.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Wow. The tiffany setting is gorgeous... But EXPENSIVE!!! Holy smokes, that''s crazy. I think that a few grand is way more reasonable. Good luck!!!

pottedmeat

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback!

Dreamer - Even if I don''t go with that mount, I was thinking of using it as a litmus test. Ya know, show it to a few other jewelers and see what they price it at.... but you''re right. It does seem low for comparable, non-branded settings.

Nervis - I think I did come across that stone in one of my searches... it''s a tiny bit out of my price range. (When I said $5k-$6k, I was thinking the setting as well). I''ve noticed I''ve been playing this little "little better, little better" game, pricing something just a little better for just a little more. I''m afraid I''m going to "little better" myself right up to living in a stereo box with the Hope Diamond. On the other hand, you mentioned the Pricescope discount. How much is that and how do I go about getting it? If I can bring that price down @$500, I might reconsider.

Also, the BIC, FIC issue... I didn''t have any concept of this before you mentioned it. Now I gotta go find out what I prefer, plus find something for this recurring headache and slight twitch I''ve started to develop.

Stone-cold - The first stone you posted looks pretty good. I''ll take a closer look later when I''m home but it''s certainly in my ballpark. Thanks for letting me know! I don''t know what a DQD or a DQR stands for.
I talked to that jeweler today about getting a copy of the report. It was my mistake, it was actually an AGA cert, not AGS! Also, apparently the cutter noted the characteristics ("pre-cert"?) I posted, but apparently doesn''t have the exact numbers avaliable and would have to see the stone again to get them. Makes the whole thing a little more iffy for me vs. buying online.

Tuckins - After seeing what''s out there and what money can get you, anyone that spends $37,000 for that is out of their minds.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/3/2008 2:51:28 PM
Author: pottedmeat
Thanks for the feedback!

Dreamer - Even if I don't go with that mount, I was thinking of using it as a litmus test. Ya know, show it to a few other jewelers and see what they price it at.... but you're right. It does seem low for comparable, non-branded settings.

Nervis - I think I did come across that stone in one of my searches... it's a tiny bit out of my price range. (When I said $5k-$6k, I was thinking the setting as well). I've noticed I've been playing this little 'little better, little better' game, pricing something just a little better for just a little more. I'm afraid I'm going to 'little better' myself right up to living in a stereo box with the Hope Diamond. On the other hand, you mentioned the Pricescope discount. How much is that and how do I go about getting it? If I can bring that price down @$500, I might reconsider.

Also, the BIC, FIC issue... I didn't have any concept of this before you mentioned it. Now I gotta go find out what I prefer, plus find something for this recurring headache and slight twitch I've started to develop.

Stone-cold - The first stone you posted looks pretty good. I'll take a closer look later when I'm home but it's certainly in my ballpark. Thanks for letting me know! I don't know what a DQD or a DQR stands for.
I talked to that jeweler today about getting a copy of the report. It was my mistake, it was actually an AGA cert, not AGS! Also, apparently the cutter noted the characteristics ('pre-cert'?) I posted, but apparently doesn't have the exact numbers avaliable and would have to see the stone again to get them. Makes the whole thing a little more iffy for me vs. buying online.

Tuckins - After seeing what's out there and what money can get you, anyone that spends $37,000 for that is out of their minds.

DQD stands for the AGS reports;

Diamond Quality Document which includes the cut grading and DQR for Diamond Quality Report which does not.

Also with BIC ( brilliant ideal cut) and FIC ( fiery ideal cut) I wouldn't worry too much - unless you had a strong preference for either, just look for a well cut and balanced stone which should give you a nice performance. You can use the Holloway Cut Advisor to help you see which diamonds might be worth further consideration, the aim is to score 2 or below and bear in mind a lower score isn't necessarily better than another as the HCA is not used for selecting diamonds. Also some stones which score over 2 with top symmetry can also be worth considering if you have aids such as Idealscope to help you judge the cut.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2008 2:51:28 PM
Author: pottedmeat

Stone-cold - The first stone you posted looks pretty good. I''ll take a closer look later when I''m home but it''s certainly in my ballpark. Thanks for letting me know! I don''t know what a DQD or a DQR stands for.

I would say take a closer look at stone 2. The bad thing about stone 1 is that it is really only 1ct, a slight chip, unlikely but can happen, and the value would drop a lot as there is a sharp price jump at the 1ct threshold. Stone 2 is bigger, and cheaper and that is due to it''s less than ideal polish which is still unnoticeable to untrained eyes.

Good Luck in whatever you decide on. :)

pottedmeat

Rough_Rock
So I got home from work, took a look at all these suggestion....Then I had a few beers, took a gut check, and took the plunge on Nervis''s suggestion. It WAS a little more than I was hoping to spend, but the discount softened the blow a bit, so I just picked up the phone and 2 minutes later, I was 6 g''s lighter.

Anyway, thanks again for looking here.

I don''t think the Tiffany''s setting was a huge hit with the gals at work, so I might be back to square one there, but at least I have a shiny new diamond!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You will love it! Whiteflash is awesome and their diamonds are swoony. What setting are you getting? Their settings are top quality, the most well-finished and lovely I have ever seen in person...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats! It will be a gorgeous stone! And may I suggest the Sleekline w/ Legato Head from Whiteflash? Classic but just unique enough to be fabulous....

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2008 9:30:22 PM
Author: neatfreak
Link to Legato Sleek Line:

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/-Legato--Sleek-Line_1118.htm
I have that setting and love it, it is so delicate and lovely. The only negative about it is that it is very low to the finger... only about 1.25mm high/thick, which means if you want your e-ring and w-ring to be the same height off your finger you can't get a shared prong eternity band that sits low enough to mesh
39.gif
The lowest you can go with shared prong is about 2mm. So if that is something you think your FFI may want then I recommend the W-prong http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/-W-Prong--Solitaire-by-WF_741.htm this is a gorgeous ring, there's some people on PS with it so you can search for handshots. It is a little wider in the shack than the legato at 3.5 mm but I bet they can make in thinner if you wanted, but it would look great with a shared prong weddig band!
31.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good Luck in your search. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results