shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellowish diamond color?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vivianv

Shiny_Rock
When I was a young girl we had a family member that had a fairly large diamond in a solitare setting.The diamond was a bit yellowish.I always coveted that ring and now that I am older I''d like to try to replicate it to some degree.
I realize most people love white white diamonds but that yellowy one really stuck with me.
1.gif

So, I have looked here to see and found one ring posted with an M stone but even the M stone did not seem quite yellow enough...is there a place online to see real photos of stones in various colors? Does anyone here perhaps have a photo of a M or lower color round stone? N maybe even O??I like to think I''d know the color if I saw it again.
I know, I know, white is nicer but just something about that warm yellow tint.
9.gif
31.gif

Thanks so much!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/7/2007 2:25:54 AM
Author:vivianv
When I was a young girl we had a family member that had a fairly large diamond in a solitare setting.The diamond was a bit yellowish.I always coveted that ring and now that I am older I'd like to try to replicate it to some degree.
I realize most people love white white diamonds but that yellowy one really stuck with me.
1.gif

So, I have looked here to see and found one ring posted with an M stone but even the M stone did not seem quite yellow enough...is there a place online to see real photos of stones in various colors? Does anyone here perhaps have a photo of a M or lower color round stone? N maybe even O??I like to think I'd know the color if I saw it again.
I know, I know, white is nicer but just something about that warm yellow tint.
9.gif
31.gif

Thanks so much!
Welcome!

Actually there are some of us out there who actually prefer warmer colour diamonds, myself included, so you are not alone. I could post some pics of colour grades, but the trouble is it would be very misleading. Computer monitors vary, so you won't get an accurate idea of the colour, also grading labs can vary in accuracy. Size of the diamond and cut can show more colour too. I think your best bet would be to try to get out to jewellery shops and ask to see diamonds from the I to S range perhaps ( may take some doing) also check out antique and pawn shops. One good thing about loving the warmer colours is that they are usually much cheaper than the colourless etc.

Here are some colour comparison pics, but they will give you an idea only and can vary according to your monitor etc.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/Color/Tinted/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/Color/FaintTint/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/Color/NearColorless/

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also I forgot to mention the shape of the diamond can make a difference too, fancy shapes such as Emerald cuts, Marquise, pear etc can show more colour than rounds, also if this was an old cut diamond such as an OMC etc, these tended to be warmer anyway with colour. You could also look at Fay Cullen's website as she has many examples of warmer colour diamonds, but also again be aware that the colours or tints you see may not be accurate.

vivianv

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the friendly welcome. I can see I''ll need a second job if I stay here long.Heh...

Oh my gosh! Thanks for all the links!Exactly what I was looking for.
Lorelei, from looking at the photos on the links you supplied I think I could even go to a S if I wanted to and be happy. An N or O is still quite light but I love them also.At least I have a pretty good idea now of what range to start in.

Lurchie,The gems at Diamonds by Lauren are fabulous! Looks like I may need to save up a bit more and get a big one.LOL All those yellows are just lucious. Thanks so much for that link as well. Just fantastic eye candy. The stuff of dreams!

So happy to read that there are other yellow lovers out there.

vivianv

Shiny_Rock
Jessica, that is a beauty! A bit more than I want to spend but so sweet!That O doesn''t look so terribly yellow does it?
I may have decided on a M but if not I''ll be looking at those Os also.
Thank you for the link.

vivianv

Shiny_Rock
canuk-gal, those don''t look very yellow at all when you see them like that. I am surprised.

I was thinking today that when I was young, in the 50''s,[I know, I know.. older than dirt] that a lot of ladies had yellowish diamonds. I wonder if they were more popular back then or no one could afford better? Or perhaps they were not so hooked on color??

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we did see more lower coloured stones back in the day. I'm a hippy child of the 60's though.
41.gif
My MIL loves warmer coloured stones too, so she wasn't at all shocked when we told her we bought a J stone. The thing that is harder to capture on the screen here is the way the lower colours play with light. They do look pretty white face up, but not so much from the side. I think though that you really need to see the stone in person to decide if it's really for you or not. You may be surprised, or not. I wouldn't be afraid of an M at all. I think the key is the cut, regardless of which cut it is, as long as it is well cut you will get lots of flash and fire and that warmth you're looking for.

ETA: I definitely believe the public is more hooked on colour (or lack of it!) nowadays. My own mother never actually even owned a diamond at all.
5.gif

vivianv

Shiny_Rock
lyra,I was a hippie too, my growing up years were the 60''s.The most fun I ever had was in the 70''s.heh.. it doesn''t seem so long ago. Time flies.
My mom never had a diamond either which is funny considering she came from a multi generation jeweler family.They switched to optometry during the depression.No more jewelry.

I found a stone online that looked interesting. Bought it yesterday and got it today by Fed Ex ..that''s fast service!

Thanks to you all for the links,they really helped me make up my mind about what I want.
You are all so helpful here! Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results