shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow Tourmaline

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I am new to colored gemstones but I feel like I need a bit more of color in my life. I have a precision gemstone cutter that has been helping me select rough for a couple of ring projects that I have in mind. I bought this yellow tourmaline rough yesterday and I am told it could yield an 8 to 9 mm stone. He has to get a better look at the rough but it is said to be eye clean. I had this idea of an antique style stone but I was told that culet facets can kill a stones brilliance and that many small facets is the best way to improve its scintillation. I also haven’t found a lot of examples of yellow tourmaline’s and it seems this is not as common of a color. I am hoping that when it is cut that it doesn’t look quite as brown as some of the pictures I have seen.

I am thinking of various settings to put the finished gemstone in. I quite like the RC vintage setting but I also like the idea of making it look like a sunflower in a halo. Does anyone have a yellow tourmaline that I can see a picture of? Any ideas of the best cuts for this type of rough? I was hoping to go with something round or oval....

49237511-A891-4E6F-94B2-13E3EBFA39AD.jpeg E7CF3125-A885-4E39-8274-D9CA52FC43BC.jpeg C0A87517-BCB8-487A-9971-C070F8D011F5.jpeg A1268422-1926-4BFF-A335-9B97C31F57EC.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a balance between preserving colour and trying to get as much brilliance as possible. It is best that you ask the lapidary this question.

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here’s one.

3DCEAE28-D3F4-434D-8CDD-CD0D13132EB6.png

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s one.

3DCEAE28-D3F4-434D-8CDD-CD0D13132EB6.png
That is pretty...I am not completely set on ‘shape’ but I want to make the most out of the color/brilliance. I am hoping that when it is cut that it won’t go too dark yellow. I have seen a few that are lighter but most of them have a tendency to look more golden brown when cut.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Concur it is best to leave it to the precision cutter to decide on the cut.

DK :))

voce

Ideal_Rock
When it comes to tourmaline, unless the color is NEON neon, like paraibas or mint colored Afghans, they only look good in daytime. In less than ideal situations, a gray mask starts creeping in. So be aware of this...I'd rather get a yellow sapphire if I plan on wearing this ring often. Yellow diamonds are pretty expensive, after all.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just add that some tourmaline black out in sunlight and look good in incandescent lighting. It depends on the stone as some have a closed c-axis, and generally look dark depending on the cut and/or the lighting. Fine Paraiba look good in any situation though, even in the dark (well not if you can’t see, but you get the idea!).

Some yellow diamonds like cape yellows, can be affordable in subcarat sizes.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I will see what suggestions he comes back with. I am trying some gemstones out for fun as I am completely new to this. Any of the colored gemstones I own, I have inherited and never had cut. These will not be everyday rings but I would like something nice enough to put in an antique looking two-toned halo. I know these are softer stones so I am trying to take that into consideration.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like the color of your rough...and the clarity is amazing! I actually prefer your soft yellow to the more saturated one Hivona posted. Tourmaline is impressive for the variety of colors it comes in. Can’t wait to see the results when it is cut!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the color of your rough...and the clarity is amazing! I actually prefer your soft yellow to the more saturated one Hivona posted. Tourmaline is impressive for the variety of colors it comes in. Can’t wait to see the results when it is cut!
Thank you! I prefer the softer yellow too and am just taking direction from the gem cutter. He said it was very clean and a good value. Hopefully he will get it tomorrow and can give me a little more advice on the cut and then I can figure out which direction to go.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I prefer the softer yellow too and am just taking direction from the gem cutter. He said it was very clean and a good value. Hopefully he will get it tomorrow and can give me a little more advice on the cut and then I can figure out which direction to go.

Sounds great! I think the cutter will know how to align the rock axis in the best direction, and how to maximize the good qualities of the stone. Tourmaline is less about sparkle and more about colors. You may see the colors play as you view the stone from different directions. It’s really cool!

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did the cutter tell you what the shape the dimensions and the weight of the stone will be? I would suggest asking the cutter a sample photo or diagram. A cutter who recut my stone only told me my stone would be brilliant cut no sample photo. The stone that is supposed to be recut into oval turned out to be a weird cushion shape

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a pretty color.
With gemstones their refractive index as well as the cut impacts upon the “brilliance”. Tourmaline is only around 1.6 by comparison diamond is 2.4.
If you’re wanting a “sparkly gem”, I’d consider yellow Zircon, much higher refractive index, close to that of diamond.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Did the cutter tell you what the shape the dimensions and the weight of the stone will be? I would suggest asking the cutter a sample photo or diagram. A cutter who recut my stone only told me my stone would be brilliant cut no sample photo. The stone that is supposed to be recut into oval turned out to be a weird cushion shape
He wants to have the rough in hand so he can give me a better idea. He was thinking it would yield somewhere around 1.6 to 2 carats. He thought it would make a better oval or possibly a round in a Portuguese cut. I will definitely confirm this before cutting and he should receive the rough this week still.

I am hoping for a soft yellow. If I can not get enough ‘brilliance’ from the actual center stone, it will be going in an oversized diamond halo. I have been wanting something that looks like a sunflower. Not quite so literal but it is just such a ‘happy’ look to me.....

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you mind sharing who is your cutter? I am looking for a cutter too.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Do you mind sharing who is your cutter? I am looking for a cutter too.
Sure. He is doing an Asscher aquamarine for me too right now. It seems that good precision cutters are hard to find and a lot of them do it on the side. I told him what I was looking for and he keeps an eye out for the right rough that would work for my needs/budget. Hie email is [email protected]. Don’t know if the email will get flagged but if you get it before that does. I would ask for some examples of his work so you are comfortable that he can do what you want.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you very much

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results