shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow or Blue Sapphire feedback

fubag

Rough_Rock
Good Morning Everyone!

My girlfriend and I have been discussing engagement ring ideas and she's very fond of yellow sapphires. We've been having a difficult time finding a pear shaped yellow sapphire, which is something she really wanted. There was a 3.1 CT beautiful bright yellow one on NSC that I was about to purchase and then found out it was sold to someone else. :cry2: She and I had liked that one a lot. I am attaching a picture of it here:
40020457_279384699547492_2914624618780164096_n.jpg
NSC was asking $1180 for the one above, about 11.3x7.4cm 3.1 CT from Madagascar. VVS, medium intense color. Note the setting which I really liked too, a simple solitaire platinum in the shape of a tension/swirl, which she and I liked a lot.

Since it's been difficult to find alternatives pears in yellow, she has opened up to the idea of a blue or yellow round cut sapphire as well.

She really likes:
https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-montana-12-807
and
https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-montana-12-187

I'd really love to get her something similar to the one that got away and would love any feedback or sites I may not have discovered yet.

I'd also like to understand why the price difference in this one: https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-montana-12-731

I really don't have a set budget for this ring, but I'd also not want to overpay on the sapphire, as I've heard NSC charges more than it's worth.

Thanks all in advance for your help! Looking forward to presenting my GF a beautiful engagement ring!

Reactions: AV_

voce

Ideal_Rock
Hi. I'm sorry that ring was the one that got away. I think that it's better to go for a yellow sapphire because the blue will carry a price premium that lots of yellow, pink, and purple sapphire won't have. I think all Gemfix stones are well cut and look beautiful, but I suspect their Montana sapphires are overpriced because I've heard other cutters say that Montana sapphire rough is cheap to get. The price difference is because of the unevenness in color: the cheaper yellow Gemfix sapphire description says there is a "darker yellow streak" running through the sunny yellow stone.

If I were to get a yellow or blue sapphire not preloved, I'd first look at Mastercut Gems. Take a look at their sapphires, the first 5 of which are yellow. They also have awesome blues but for a much higher price. https://mastercutgems.com/Products/301-Crescent_Gems_Sapphires_Direct_From_Sri_Lanka-Gems.php

In particular, I love this one: https://mastercutgems.com/Products-...Yellow_Sapphire_2_35_carat-Gem.php?FromPage=1

Another consideration is setting price/time. If she is ok with round, you can save money on a semi-mount instead of getting a custom setting for pear or oval cuts.

Here's an example of a semi-mount - https://loupetroop.com/listings/settings/brand-new-twist-shank-halo-semi-mount

And for semi-mounts, Ivy and Rose Vintage on Etsy have a huge selection at very reasonable prices.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
First off, congrats on your pending engagement and congrats on finding a lady who thinks outside the box about her ring;)2.

Because I only own 1 bi-colored sapphire that was a gift I am certainly no where near the expert like some here. I really can only address the price difference in the last yellow stone. It is due to the color zoning (darker streak through the center). This typically lowers the price, although imo it can make a stone quite interesting and definitely unique. I like the yellow stones you posted, but would be concerned that the blue will darken when mounted. That is a big issue around here about sapphires, something not on my radar until other pricescopers taught me.

Good luck in your search!

fubag

Rough_Rock
Hi. I'm sorry that ring was the one that got away. I think that it's better to go for a yellow sapphire because the blue will carry a price premium that lots of yellow, pink, and purple sapphire won't have. I think all Gemfix stones are well cut and look beautiful, but I suspect their Montana sapphires are overpriced because I've heard other cutters say that Montana sapphire rough is cheap to get. The price difference is because of the unevenness in color: the cheaper yellow Gemfix sapphire description says there is a "darker yellow streak" running through the sunny yellow stone.

If I were to get a yellow or blue sapphire not preloved, I'd first look at Mastercut Gems. Take a look at their sapphires, the first 5 of which are yellow. They also have awesome blues but for a much higher price. https://mastercutgems.com/Products/301-Crescent_Gems_Sapphires_Direct_From_Sri_Lanka-Gems.php

In particular, I love this one: https://mastercutgems.com/Products-...Yellow_Sapphire_2_35_carat-Gem.php?FromPage=1

Another consideration is setting price/time. If she is ok with round, you can save money on a semi-mount instead of getting a custom setting for pear or oval cuts.

Here's an example of a semi-mount - https://loupetroop.com/listings/settings/brand-new-twist-shank-halo-semi-mount

And for semi-mounts, Ivy and Rose Vintage on Etsy have a huge selection at very reasonable prices.
thank you voce!

I should mention that she doesn't want any diamonds i.e. around the setting, so I'd be looking for a semi-mount setting without the fancy halo design. are there any recommendations for settings that can be done in platinum for semi-mounts with that in mind? ill check out the etsy pages you recommneded. thank you again

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Don't feel too badly about the pear that got away. I don't think it's as well cut as it should be. It appears to have a gigantic window along the front, which is an area that would allow the bottom of the setting or your fiancee's finger to show through, instead of beautiful yellow sapphire color.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
* * * Note the [NSC] setting which I really liked too, a simple solitaire platinum in the shape of a tension/swirl, which she and I liked a lot.
I'm thinking that the NSC setting you both like is quite possibly a "stock" one. I don't have the time right now to plow through the online catalogs for, e.g., Stuller and Unique Settings of NY --wholesalers who don't deal directly with us consumers, but any retail jeweler worth their salt should be able to order a setting from them. Will scroll the online catalogues tonight/tomorrow & let you know if I find anything similar. That would be less expensive than commissioning a custom setting "from scratch" & I know Stuller offers the possibility of customizing a number of their settings; that's useful because the head or basket on stock settings for diamonds can be too shallow for colored gems, which frequently are cut deeper than their diamond counterparts, in face-up size, are.

fubag

Rough_Rock
I've been working with LC Designs aka L'CedarquistDesigns and they are recommending this yellow sapphire:

"It is 1.26 carats, 6.25mm, and from Sri Lanka. I’m also including a photo of it under 10x magnification. This stone is $1220." Thoughts?

https://instagram.com/p/Bnkb8vfgoZp/
icm_fullxfull.170695952_6rrjoorhz20w400kcso8.jpg icm_fullxfull.170753144_cjlhj700cdw88cs888os.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I've been working with LC Designs aka L'CedarquistDesigns and they are recommending this yellow sapphire:

"It is 1.26 carats, 6.25mm, and from Sri Lanka. I’m also including a photo of it under 10x magnification. This stone is $1220." Thoughts?

icm_fullxfull.170695952_6rrjoorhz20w400kcso8.jpg icm_fullxfull.170753144_cjlhj700cdw88cs888os.jpg

It has the dreaded fisheye effect?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like it has green overtones to me, and the fisheye isn't a good sign. I wouldn't use this if I were you.

voce

Ideal_Rock
It's a good color and cut, but the price seems to be about $1000/ct. I would be willing to pay that if it's an unheated sapphire, but heated yellow sapphires should be priced at half of that imo. The price from this vendor is more expensive than NSC, albeit a better cut. Although the sapphire looks good from all angles, I'm not impressed by your second pic (yes, @lovedogs is right, fisheye effect). Hypothetically speaking, with a superideal cut (the kind of precision cut Precision Gems routinely does, see past examples of his cuts on that thread) I think a heat treated yellow sapphire is worth max $750/ct. For this stone (NOT an ideal cut) I'd be willing to pay between $400-600 a carat, no more than $750 for the stone itself. @lovedogs is also right about the green secondary hue. This is not a pure yellow stone.

I think the jeweler is trying to take a substantial cut of the profit from the gem cutter, or the gem cutter is too expensive.

At the end of the day, if this stone thrills you, then go for it. I just think that the seller should have disclosed to you whether the stone is heated or not, and it's probably overpriced.

fubag

Rough_Rock
It's a good color and cut, but the price seems to be about $1000/ct. I would be willing to pay that if it's an unheated sapphire, but heated yellow sapphires should be priced at half of that imo. The price from this vendor is more expensive than NSC, albeit a better cut. Although the sapphire looks good from all angles, I'm not impressed by your second pic (yes, @lovedogs is right, fisheye effect). Hypothetically speaking, with a superideal cut (the kind of precision cut Precision Gems routinely does, see past examples of his cuts on that thread) I think a heat treated yellow sapphire is worth max $750/ct. For this stone (NOT an ideal cut) I'd be willing to pay between $400-600 a carat, no more than $750 for the stone itself. @lovedogs is also right about the green secondary hue. This is not a pure yellow stone.

I think the jeweler is trying to take a substantial cut of the profit from the gem cutter, or the gem cutter is too expensive.

At the end of the day, if this stone thrills you, then go for it. I just think that the seller should have disclosed to you whether the stone is heated or not, and it's probably overpriced.
thank you, it's helpful to know what the going rate per carat for these sapphires should be.

could you guys care to comment about this one (I realize it comes with a GIA report driving the cost up a bit, and unheated?): https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-yellow-14-571

thanks in advance again everyone, this has been very informative and I'm learning a lot!

voce

Ideal_Rock

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like it too. It's very pretty. The color looks vivid and I love the Portuguese cut.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can’t comment on the price of the last one (I’m no expert) but I think it’s really pretty!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank you, it's helpful to know what the going rate per carat for these sapphires should be.

could you guys care to comment about this one (I realize it comes with a GIA report driving the cost up a bit, and unheated?): https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-yellow-14-571

thanks in advance again everyone, this has been very informative and I'm learning a lot!

I really like this one. Great color and cut, I think it will be beautiful in person, and price is fair/in line with what I'd expect for that size and quality.

fubag

Rough_Rock
thanks everyone, i think im going to go ahead and get it!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
thanks everyone, i think im going to go ahead and get it!

I agree it looks like a beautiful stone and it’s mind clean too knowing that so many yellow sapphires are BE-treated and it’s hard to detect that outside of heat.

fubag

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum with helping me make a purchase. I did indeed buy that yellow sapphire from Gemfix and just put down a deposit for a custom setting at a local jeweler here. Very excited and hope to put some pics up when it all comes together.

You guys rock, thank you so much! :dance:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum with helping me make a purchase. I did indeed buy that yellow sapphire from Gemfix and just put down a deposit for a custom setting at a local jeweler here. Very excited and hope to put some pics up when it all comes together.

You guys rock, thank you so much! :dance:
Awesome, congrats on the engagement! Please come back and share the finished custom ring with us. :geek2:

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
Woohoo! Can't wait to see pics!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wish for the price the color was better. And frankly the size. Yellow sapphires shouldn’t be that expensive I feel like.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ring.jpg ring2.jpg ring3.jpg So sorry guys I forgot to post pictures, it's been months. Here are some potato camera pics that do not do it justice!
Congrats!! What a stunning result. The ring is lovely and so is the stunning sapphire

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results