shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow Gold - Hand Forged?

NUGS18

Rough_Rock
Hi all! Total newbie lurker here who is finally going to get THE RING! For months, I have been planning on an SK or VC micropave halo in yellow gold. But, my SO has a family jeweler through which he was going to get the diamond, and that jeweler said he could make the same ring.

I'm certain this jeweler will use CAD/Casting to make the ring, and one of the reasons I was so partial to SK or VC was that the rings are hand forged (although I know there are some questions on that with SK). Then, I read a post here on PS that suggests yellow gold pieces are generally not hand forged.

Can someone help me decide if we should go with his jeweler? SO has left this up to me. It is a very, very well reputed shop that makes nice pieces, and it would be a lot more convenient than sending the ring off to NYC or LA. But the hand forging seemed like such a big deal to some. However, if I learned that yellow gold is rarely totally hand forged, that would definitely sway me to SO's jeweler. Thanks for the help!!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I don't have first hand information to share, but from the pictures I've seen here, I would personally go with hand forged for a halo if I could afford it. The work seems so much cleaner and more delicate than is possible with CAD pieces.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
PS I adore yellow gold and can't wait to see what you end up with!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results