shape
carat
color
clarity

Yeah, We're Talking Big!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Posted this in my earlier thread, not sure if anyone saw the pic, thus new thread.

Oh. My. Gosh. :shock:

I got this quick shot only because my DH let me inspect the pearls briefly, before taking them away for my B-day.

These puppies are HUGE!

One's tilted a bit in my palm, so it looks smaller than the other, but in RL they match in size.

It feels like pirate treasure, they're so big!

Who knew 16mm was so luscious?

For scale, I have average size hands, size 7 rings.

From Sarah at Kojima.

jumbopearlsLR.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Begged, and got one more shot for you guys.

I'm covering a lot of the pearl with my finger, but you can see the luster.

Color's off, it's not this beige. First pic is better for color.

Also, Sarah's original pic.

Now, my new problem; I want MORE :love:

jumbo1.JPG

5447862_large.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, bigger is better.......i love those south sea pearls i got for xmas: 15.5 and 15.3. one day i'll get an ear shot for you. they are not too big at all.

MoZo

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
choking hazard big!
That oister must have been so proud of its work.
Doorknob or drawerpulls?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Whyyyy HELLLLLOOOOOO over there! THose are HUGE! :love: :-o

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Are they top drilled? What are your plans for them? They look like soft cone ice creams. :love:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1295191519|2824203 said:
yes, bigger is better.......i love those south sea pearls i got for xmas: 15.5 and 15.3. one day i'll get an ear shot for you. they are not too big at all.

MoZo

Pictures! Seriously, we NEED a thread on those Mozo! :appl:

I would love to see them! Please? :o

iLander

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1295192892|2824217 said:
choking hazard big!
That oister must have been so proud of its work.
Doorknob or drawerpulls?

LOL! :lol:

Drawer pulls, totally. :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Sarahbear621|1295265766|2824810 said:
Whyyyy HELLLLLOOOOOO over there! THose are HUGE! :love: :-o

Aren't they? I feel like a mermaid! :appl:

I much prefer the drop shape, myself. I think if they were round, the would REALLY look big on me. The drop is a little more graceful for me, personally.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1295267381|2824818 said:
Are they top drilled? What are your plans for them? They look like soft cone ice creams. :love:

I had Sarah drill them all the way through, so that I could have the flexibility to change them around with headpins over the years. I can add different bead caps, or use them without. Or I can switch between earrings and a pendant, and only lose a gold-filled headpin which is only a couple of dollars.

If you click on the first pic, on the far right, this is one possibility for a simple pendant:
http://shop.kojimapearl.com/products/south-sea-necklace-fit-for-a-queen

The princess Di picture below, shows her with ginormous earrings, which made me want these puppies. :love:

The other pic is from Sotheby's; I can wear them with a diamond bead cap and studs for an elegant evening look.

it takes about 10 minutes to change out a head pin and twist it around, so it's pretty simple.

As I've gotten older, I've learned that I mostly value flexibility, since things change SO much. I have a ton of inflexible jewelry that I wish I could change slightly to make it more contemporary, but I'm stuck with it as it is.

I considered only top drilled (for a long time, quite a think!), but then they would be glued to something or other, and I'd have to live with it as is, forever. The bottom of the headpin is flat and barely visible, so I think it's okay.

N08716-342-lr-1.jpeg

Diana%252012.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1295273513|2824867 said:

I had Sarah drill them all the way through, so that I could have the flexibility to change them around with headpins over the years. I can add different bead caps, or use them without. Or I can switch between earrings and a pendant, and only lose a gold-filled headpin which is only a couple of dollars.

As I've gotten older, I've learned that I mostly value flexibility, since things change SO much. I have a ton of inflexible jewelry that I wish I could change slightly to make it more contemporary, but I'm stuck with it as it is.

I so agree with these comments, iLander. I had a local designer put together this necklace set for me a couple of years ago, with the tiny little clips at the ends of the longer chain. This is a most versatile piece of jewelry. I own a number of different colored drops that I can change out. I recently purchased a couple of goldens off eBay that were drilled through, and I'm planning to add headpins and attach them in place of the amethyst drops.

Great minds, and all that. :bigsmile:

Pendant6812.jpg

TinyClips6831.jpg

My SS earrings are 11-12mm and WOW are they heavy- I cannot imagine 16mm! You must have earlobes made of steel!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

If you click on the first pic, on the far right, this is one possibility for a simple pendant:
http://shop.kojimapearl.com/products/south-sea-necklace-fit-for-a-queen

The princess Di picture below, shows her with ginormous earrings, which made me want these puppies. :love:

The other pic is from Sotheby's; I can wear them with a diamond bead cap and studs for an elegant evening look.

it takes about 10 minutes to change out a head pin and twist it around, so it's pretty simple.

I considered only top drilled (for a long time, quite a think!), but then they would be glued to something or other, and I'd have to live with it as is, forever. The bottom of the headpin is flat and barely visible, so I think it's okay.

I clicked on the kojima link and that necklace is definitely not simple lol, but if I'm tall and skinny with good shoulder definition I'll get it and wear it with a white strapless dress. :lol:

I like your interchangeable idea, you can wear it in different lengths, different metal colours, unless possibilities. Btw I've been dreaming about your golden SS and have went back to that thread to check them out regularly.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1295306826|2825320 said:

I so agree with these comments, iLander. I had a local designer put together this necklace set for me a couple of years ago, with the tiny little clips at the ends of the longer chain. This is a most versatile piece of jewelry. I own a number of different colored drops that I can change out. I recently purchased a couple of goldens off eBay that were drilled through, and I'm planning to add headpins and attach them in place of the amethyst drops.

Great minds, and all that. :bigsmile:

Very beautiful, FlyGirl! I really like your design, it's very clever! I can't wait to see a thread on your goldens! :love: :love:
I just ordered some 14K bead caps from ebay for my pearls, you might want to try those for your goldens if you like that idea. I just love that sea creatures can make such an ethereal color as gold!
I luvz me dem goldenz! :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
bean|1295332893|2825562 said:
My SS earrings are 11-12mm and WOW are they heavy- I cannot imagine 16mm! You must have earlobes made of steel!

LOL :lol:

I might end up with gauge ears after this!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1295350297|2825633 said:
I clicked on the kojima link and that necklace is definitely not simple lol, but if I'm tall and skinny with good shoulder definition I'll get it and wear it with a white strapless dress. :lol:

I like your interchangeable idea, you can wear it in different lengths, different metal colours, unless possibilities. Btw I've been dreaming about your golden SS and have went back to that thread to check them out regularly.

LOL :lol: Yup, that necklace is a red carpet deal, alright! If the dangles were detachable, I think it would be sold a long time ago, IMHO!

But if you look at the small picture, all the way to your left, the little inset, I think you'll see what I mean.

I'm skinny, I wish I was tall too. Lucky dog! ;))

Thanks for the kind words on the goldens, you're so sweet. I wear them everywhere, even the grocery store! :bigsmile: I think most people just think I'm that crazy lady with the big beads. They're not too far off!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Hiya, everybody! :wavey:

I finally got around to pics of the big earrings, which I ended up doing on a simple shepherd hook (Flygirl predicted this, flygirl is starting to freak me out with her psychic abilities :D ).

I tried them first on half-hoops that have a back behind my ear, and they tugged the hoop down and felt heavy. Then I put them on the shepherd hook and they distribute the weight nicely without pulling. They really don't feel heavy to me, and I don't wear a lot of big earrings. I can wear them and forget they're on, surprisingly!

I took the pics on my DD, we're pretty close in size to each other. Hopefully you can get an idea for the scale of the 16mm pearls.

I wear them a lot, and I like the bright whiteness. :appl:

ear3.jpg

ear2.jpg

ear.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Those earrings are stunning, iLander. However, I'm not psychic. I just remembered what your wrote in earlier threads about what you liked. These are the Meryl Streep earrings, only bigger and better and whiter!

Wow, are they amazing, or what?!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
don't you love them?! i do!

MoZo

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh iLander they are beautiful!!! cha ching that is the sound of my bank account getting smaller. :tongue:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Awwwwww, you guys are so nice! :razz:

Thank you! :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results