shape
carat
color
clarity

WWPsersD? Another BCP thread with a little twist...

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
After being on the pill for 12 years (!), DH and I decided I should ditch the pill once we were married to let my cycles even out before actively TTC. I was always pretty regular prior to starting the pill. I finished my last pack of pills mid-August, had my first day of withdrawal bleed on Aug 23, and then...nothing. I feel great and have noticed a definite increase in drive (as well as an increase in facial hair :knockout: ), but I have not had a single symptom to suggest I'm fertile (period, EWCM, etc.).

I've booked an appointment with my GP for next week but I think I'm going to have to advocate for myself pretty strongly. I do not want to be fobbed off with suggestions of "wait and see" because we're not actively trying.

Does anyone have any suggestions for tests to request, issues to rule out, or similar experiences? Advice? Soothing words about how I cannot possibly be infertile? ;)) I don't mean to be alarmist if there is no cause for concern; I'd just like to be prepared.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
It is extremely unlikely that you're infertile! What you're describing is common. Some call it "post-pill amenorrhoea" (which in fact is just a descriptive term for exactly what it is, but some refer to it as a particular phenomenon), some don't call it anything, but it is definitely not unusual. It's more likely to happen if your cycles were irregular prior to starting the Pill, but that is not always the case. Don't get too freaked out - go and see your GP and if they are sensible they are likely to do some basic bloods to see if you have ovulated or not. Where you go from there is a little dependent on what else is going on, but some might do a pelvic ultrasound to look at your ovaries and some other bloods (eg. androgen profile, prolactin) depending on your situation and what you want to do about it.

But don't stress yet! The most likely thing is that your pituitary-ovarian axis is just taking a bit of time to kick back into gear. But if there are other underlying issues causing anovulation, you can get to the bottom of it, and your current situation is not a red flag that something serious is wrong. Talk to your GP and then see how you go - and let us know too :) Good luck!

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much, Pancake. I was hoping you'd chime in but didn't want to call you specifically 'cause I know you're super-busy baking your little one!

Blood work and possibly an ultrasound sounds like the go then. Sounds fun :cheeky: Will check back and let you know how I go.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Baking is a remarkably passive process actually :wink2: Look forward to hearing how you go.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I would say what you're going through is pretty normal. You've been on the pill a LONG time and your body hasn't had to regulate itself. It will learn how, but it will take some time. Some people say it can take an entire year for your body to remember how to do its thing. Others know way more about this stuff than I do, but I'm guessing you'll want to request to have your hormone levels checked. There's a drug the doc can give you to jumpstart your cycle, but I'm not sure if it will keep it running for good, or if it's a one time thing. Good luck, and be sure to join us on the TTC thread!

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, amc80. I realise things may take a while, but it's hard to get a feel for how long is too long, KWIM? Should I wait 6 months? 12 months? I am The Least Patient Person on Earth so wait and see is just going to drive me nutso. Having said that, I actually feel really good so this would be an ideal situation as long as I wasn't planning to conceive :cheeky:

I'm sure you'll be nursing your little one by the time I join the TTC thread, but I'll see you over there! Enjoy your wedding :wavey:

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Hi There,

I'm so sorry that you're struggling with the waiting game period wise, that must be getting very old! I just came off of Yaz and charted immediately so I was able to tell that I ovulated on CD 27, then had my first period in 2(!!!) years this past weekend after a 9 day LP.

While I was brooding about how long it would take because I'm the most impatient person on earth, I read...a lot! It seems like 3 months is about the time that you want to start looking at making an appointment from what I read on multiple sites. As a side note, as the PP said it's also quite common even if it's not the norm. So chances are that your body is just trying to get back into the swing of things, 12 yrs is a long time to be shut down in the reproductive department! I'm sure it'll work itself out, but the doctor appt will give you peace of mind while you wait that it's nothing permanent or serious. :)

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
How long you wait is a little dependent on the time imperative - ie. if you are wanting to conceive ASAP, you'd gun for an earlier referral than if you weren't. Or if you were getting loads of body hair or awful acne that would suggest more of a PCOS picture.

My FIL's best mate is an RE, and as he pointed out to us - if we're TTC, no point in waiting 6 or 12 months for a referral if there are no cycles (or hardly any) in that time. You gotta be in it to win it, as it were :roll:

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
So apparently I just need to post on PS for my "problems" to disappear on me! My period arrived two days before my doctor's appointment this week (at least it was early enough for me to cancel!) and it was all pretty normal. Not sure I actually ovulated but now that I'm cycling I can check things out myself over time. Basically, it took a full three months to get going.

Thanks ladies for all the reassurance :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results