shape
carat
color
clarity

Wrong diamond grading??

Jagwomen

Rough_Rock
Ok i really need help to understand this. I got engaged my lovely fiance bought a truly beautiful ring and I love it. On the paper which is not gia graded but locally from a jewler of the European country we live in.
On the paper it says it is a 1.65 CT L color SI1.

Well we went to another jeweller yesterday because the ring was to big to make it
smaler.
I asked for an estimate of price and quality on the ring. He asked if it was gia certificated and I said no.
Well today we went to pic up my lovely ring witch is an altogether 2.65 CT white gold diamond ring. He said it is a G color and p2 clarity?? How is that possible? Is it possible? I feel a bit left down because of this. It sparkles like crazy and is just georges.

He estimated the price to be 13406.296 usd. So that is for a 1.65 CT center stone surrounded by 1 ct in total small diamonds on the shaft. I am sorry about my English is not the best. Please ask if something is unclear unclear. It is very difficult to capture its sparkling beauty on the phonecamera. The last picture is the most accurate. The two others are taken inder light so it sparkles it is absolutely not cloudy and you can see the fassets clearly and how the diamond is cut.

img_20150714_231815.jpg

dsc_0120.jpg

dsc_311.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, all you have are two opinions. Neither of these are represented by a grading lab. The only way to have an accurate picture is to have the stone unmounted and sent to GIA or AGS. Stones are not color graded by labs in the face up position so anyone trying to do this while the stone is mounted is simply making a guess. I assume you bought the stone based on the L color, SI1 clarity? If that is the case, then you would have paid less than if it were sold as a G color stone.

If you are happy with the stone and happy with the price you paid, all is well. Having it graded by a reputable lab at this point will only serve to put your mind at ease regarding the color and clarity of the stone. I doubt the seller would go back and renegotiate the price based on what a lab says at this point and if they gave it higher color grade than L, you would probably be upcharged.

D_

Shiny_Rock
Agreed, there is quite significant price difference from L to G.
So that comment would actually make me happy.

And I don't know about the regulations in Europe, but if I'm not mistaken in North America jewelers only need to be accurate within one grade of color and one grade of clarity on a diamond. And there are no strict guidelines given in the law for which lab definitions to use.
So if we use EGL/IGI labs' definition, which can be 2 grades off from GIA/AGS (though there are some info that rebut this), then the jeweler can misrepresent the diamond by 3 grades (colour-wise).

I don't quite get what you meant by p2 clarity though...

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
D_|1437613799|3906306 said:
Agreed, there is quite significant price difference from L to G.
So that comment would actually make me happy.

And I don't know about the regulations in Europe, but if I'm not mistaken in North America jewelers only need to be accurate within one grade of color and one grade of clarity on a diamond. And there are no strict guidelines given in the law for which lab definitions to use.
So if we use EGL/IGI labs' definition, which can be 2 grades off from GIA/AGS (though there are some info that rebut this), then the jeweler can misrepresent the diamond by 3 grades (colour-wise).

I don't quite get what you meant by p2 clarity though...
P1,P2,&P3 are inclusion grades used by some labs instead of I1,I2,or I3, but I can't remember which lab its is. IGI???

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see the inclusions in it so I'd guess the P2 or I2 grading is close or correct, as to the colour unless you send it to GIA you will not know for sure. EGL graded stones can be up to 6 grades incorrect in colour and a few in clarity as well. That is why we always suggest you buy stones from reputable/more accurate labs.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
According to my quickie review of the round, GIA-graded diamonds in the Pricescope database, the current selling price of a 1.65 ct that's been graded G in color, but I2 (a/k/a Piqué 2 or P2) in clarity is about $1,000 USD less than the same size stone that's been graded as J in color & SI-1 in clarity. So it seems that the G color, whiter by 5 grades, is not enough to offset an I2 clarity grade.

But, as MissGotRocks observed, your 2 assessments were done by different jewelers -- not by any independent lab. So we don't have a really informed basis for opining whether you were overcharged for the center stone. (Plus, it seems, based on comments seen here on PS and the TripAdvisor NYC forum, that the prices for diamonds and engagement rings are generally higher in Europe than here in the USA.)

Jagwomen

Rough_Rock
To be honest I got a bit of a shock when he said l2 (p2). Most of itt because it sparkles like crazy and was actually compared to the other diamonds there the most sparkly one. My bf bought it as an si1. Here it is very difficult to buy a gia graded ring. I remember asking in many jewellery stores and nobody had that.
My bf didn't pay that much money for the ring by far.
The price estimated was for insurance purposes.
I was just wondering how an l2 diamond ring can be worth that much money? ?
At this point would it be sensible to have it gia graded? I honestly don't see the inclusions with my bare eyes if I look up on the ring. As I said the pictures look no where near like in real life. I also don't understand how it can sparkle so much with it being l2

D_

Shiny_Rock
Sparkle doesn't really have anything to do w/ SI1 P2 (i.e. clarity of the stone).
Clarity just indicates how included a diamond is, i.e. how much/large blemishes it has and whether it can be easily seen with naked eye/under XX magnifications etc.
Great sparkle comes from a good cut, which may explain why your diamond costs quite a bit (and appraisal value is usually higher than the purchase price of the diamond).
Can you please post a close up picture of the diamond?
If it's really I2 then we may be able to help you point out where the inclusions are.
If you were to send it to GIA, what would be the purpose? Do you plan to sell the ring and hope the GIA report can make it easier to sell?
Or is it just for the peace of mind and sort of getting a professional third opinion on paper?
After you are clear on what you are trying to achieve, what the costs will be etc. you'll be able to make that decision.

Jagwomen

Rough_Rock
I love the ring I really do but it is a bit disappointing. I had always the thought that an l2 diamond is like grey gravel along the road...if you people understand what I mean :oops:
And I got an si1 which suddenly is an l2. I know its stupid but I sort of can't believe it.

dsc_312.jpg

dsc_0129.jpg

dsc_313.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results