shape
carat
color
clarity

Would your friends laugh at you if you wore a fake diamond?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
or carry a fake branded purse?

When I see my lady friends carrying a LV or Chanel handbag I'll always ask them ..."is that real"? :bigsmile: or I'll say "that is a fake" just to piss them off... :lol:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't own any "fake" diamonds.
I own diamonds, gemstones, moissanite and czs.
Anyone who would laugh at me over such things would no longer be considered a friend.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I didn’t answer the question lol. No, I doubt any of my friends would laugh at me

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My good friends would know I would never wear a fake diamond but others I know would probably not be able to tell a fake from the real deal. The fakes don't interest me at all though!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear replica watches and don't even think about it - 99.999% of people just don't care what's on your wrist, lol, so I'm sure it's much the same with jewellery!

That said... I do find it weird that I really WANT a diamond but moissanite and other simulants don't hold any appeal, despite looking pretty good if you buy well.

I think perhaps it's the thing where I don't mind buying a genuine item if there is a discernible and/or quantifiable benefit, but I will buy replicas of things that are clearly falling into the Veblen goods category :lol:

Ultimately people will probably assume all manner of things if I, a male of the species, wears a diamond - and I'm not sure I particularly care what they think because I'd be wearing it for me! :)

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A friend who determines my worth based on my ability to afford something, expects others to adhere to their version of what "people of their social status" should be doing; feels it is OK to laugh at me/others for having a fake anything, is incredibly shallow.

Also - for someone to laugh at a friend because they are carrying a fake something shows a certain level of cruelty.

Such people are not friends of anyone but themselves.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear replica watches and don't even think about it - 99.999% of people just don't care what's on your wrist, lol, so I'm sure it's much the same with jewellery!
Replica means fakes on watch forums..
rotflmao2.gif

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have a really pretty peridot silver ring with side white saphires
i wish it had diamonds
i brought it for fun
if it had had real.diamonds i would have brought it too !
i keep it super clean and sparkly
if someone asked me id tell them it wasn't diamonds
my SIL would livelly study it and outright ask me
but i wouldn't respect anyone to laugh

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of my friends don't even notice my bling and for those who do I doubt they would be able to spot a fake. And my (true) friends don't care and just want me to be happy as I do them and would not judge if I wanted to wear fake anything. And those who do judge aren't my real friends and I don't care about what fake friends (aka frenemies) think.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most of my friends don't even notice my bling and for those who do I doubt they would be able to spot a fake. And my (true) friends don't care and just want me to be happy as I do them and would not judge if I wanted to wear fake anything. And those who do judge aren't my real friends and I don't care about what fake friends (aka frenemies) think.
What she said...

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Nobody I am friends with would care. And anyway jewellery is not on most people's radar anyway. I'm the only one who obsesses over it in my group lol. I wouldn't judge anyone for having a CZ or a moissanite or another synthetic though as I do have one ring I love with a beautiful lab created spinel. Just because my collection is 99 percent natural stones (my preference)doesn't mean that's what everyone else has to like too.

As far as fake purses? I dunno. We as a group tend to care about purses even less. I have one good coach for when we go out and the rest of the time I have a cloth Vera Bradley doubling as a diaper bag and a purse lmao.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt any of my friends would notice or care. Some assume my ER is not a diamond b/c of the color, some assume my stand in rings are real. If the question is would they judge me if I had lots of fake brand/ high end stuff, maybe they would because that would say something negative about my personality. But that's assuming they'd notice in the first place, which I doubt. I don't like conspicuously branded stuff so won't have the chance to find out :lol:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I sometimes think I come from a more unstructured life than many of you do. Yes, in some circumstances family would laugh and kid me . They would call me cheapo if the item was a fake, and go, OMG she has real diamonds or a designer bag. My family can be snobbish in a fun way. They say one niece is like me. She saves her money to invest, and they call her little Annette. One niece works in an industry that uses name brands on most anything. So, she is very conscious of what other people are wearing. My friends just ask me if something is real or not. I don't think anyone is making a judgment of me because something is branded or not. To me, its all fun stuff,

Annette

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My friends laugh at me for being obsessed with real diamonds. They would laugh even more if I started wearing simulants.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Replica means fakes on watch forums..
rotflmao2.gif
Depends on the forum ;-) :tongue:

The negative connotations of the word 'fake' is what the big brands rely on, whereas 'replica' suggests care taken and skill to recreate something.

Semantics... an ongoing discussion that neither side is likely to shift their position on :razz: lol

As I've read on a replica watch forum - Those who care don't matter, whereas those that matter don't care :))

I'm looking forward to getting a 'fake' 2ct MMD asscher :D lol

Last edited:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm quite sure my friends wouldn't even know or care. Diamonds are not on their radar.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have 6 diamond rings with only two of them over a carat, each of a different shape. While all are real, I tell people that they are fake. In my circle, people only have one diamond if even that. While I love my diamonds, I realize that many people that I know consider jewelry a waste of money.
@OoohShiny, Rioux Rocks has a large white zircon asscher that you could use as a placeholder until you get your forever asscher. 10.34 carats of dispersion.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First of all, if they laughed, it would be behind my back!

Without question, I am the most jewelry-obsessed of my friends. I have gotten my whole circle to buy Lightbox lab diamond studs, so I guess I set the tone that lab diamonds are acceptable in my circle.

I was plenty surprised though when someone I am close to got a simulant. When I saw it, I guess my eyebrows went up involuntarily. Friend “confessed” immediately. It’s not that I was judging her, I was just surprised (especially since real was easily in their budget). It was very visually obvious. Now she never wears it, just her mined diamond wedding band. I hope I didn’t ruin it for her.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was plenty surprised though when someone I am close to got a simulant. When I saw it, I guess my eyebrows went up involuntarily. Friend “confessed” immediately. It’s not that I was judging her, I was just surprised (especially since real was easily in their budget). It was very visually obvious. Now she never wears it, just her mined diamond wedding band. I hope I didn’t ruin it for her.
You'll have to mention that you haven't seen her other pretty ring for a while and ask if she's saving it for special occasions :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 6 diamond rings with only two of them over a carat, each of a different shape. While all are real, I tell people that they are fake. In my circle, people only have one diamond if even that. While I love my diamonds, I realize that many people that I know consider jewelry a waste of money.
@OoohShiny, Rioux Rocks has a large white zircon asscher that you could use as a placeholder until you get your forever asscher. 10.34 carats of dispersion.
I'm not familiar with Zircon (and most of the non-diamond coloured gemstones :???: lol) but that is lovely!
https://www.instagram.com/p/Byq5fTKhJpM/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results