shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you upgrade your studs given these criteria?

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you spend $900 to upgrade your diamond studs in size by .2mm (each), yet it would require going down a color grade (in this case, from a J to a K)?

$300 of that is having to get new YG studs because the old ones can't accommodate a .2mm size bump.

I'm torn. I don't mind the J color and probably wouldn't mind the K. They're in my ears and are in yellow gold, so I barely even get to see them...

I have .66ct each ACAs and these would be about .76ct average each. When I write it all out, $900 seems ridiculous and that I should be happy with what I have.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's amazing how much even the smallest size bump is so expensive. I would probably keep what you have until some more J's come available. For me, I rationalize it this way.... if I would ever want to use those stones as side stones in a diamond ring, pendant, gem ring in a white metal, I would want them to be in the Near Colorless spectrum. If you didn't have to change your settings I would say do it cause you could upgrade later. But as I've found out, upgrading isn't so easy.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I’d only upgrade if there’d be a really noticeable difference in size.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I don't think I would spend the money for that size difference. I don't know if it would be noticeable enough.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. Too close in size to the ones you have and too tinted. Give it some time then think about something in the .85 - .95ct, I colored, range. *That's* an upgrade worth doing!

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't do it. Wait!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Add me to the nays. Hold off for a larger upgrade!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I’d only upgrade if there’d be a really noticeable difference in size.

yeah. I should save up and not keep paying $300 for new settings every little size bump. I kind of realized this as I was posting, lol!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! Glad you are going to wait!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, especially since you will have to buy new settings I would wait to go bigger. It is hard to be disciplined regarding diamonds but I think you'll think the wait was worth it in this instance.

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
I'll wait. I AM A VERY IMPULSIVE PERSON, but I also recently started YNAB (You Need a Budget), so I'm trying that weird phenomenon people here talk about - saving up for things

Just from our comment exchanges I feel like you’re the female version of me. I vote to hold off as well- only because “I” would do the upgrade and that “fix” would last about 2 weeks until I upgrade again. Let’s skip the middle upgrade. We can get through this together!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'll wait. I AM A VERY IMPULSIVE PERSON, but I also recently started YNAB (You Need a Budget), so I'm trying that weird phenomenon people here talk about - saving up for things

You will love YNAB!!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Definitely would not spend $300 on new settings to go up 0.2mm. I would save up for .9s as @mrs-b suggested!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would wait..I don’t think you’ll see or feel the size difference because it’s not much difference..and I also wouldn’t go down in color...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results