shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you take an antique piece apart and make a new ring?..

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
From it's parts?

I have my wedding ring I purchased that I like, but its big and I don't wear it a lot. I love the stones it it (1 ct champagne/dark yellow OEC diamond and 1.5ct OMCs, 4 .2 cts and the rest under .10) and keep visualizing a 3 stone with the champagne and 2 larger OMCs with claw prongs, and the rest of the stones in an eternity band.

BUT I am hating the idea of destroying a piece from before the 1900s,especially when its in excellent condition.

It's the ring on my PS page by the way.

Would you leave it as is, or change the ring?

ETA, I just realized my ring isn't on that page anymore.Here is the link I made about it with pictures a while ago.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sent-here-from-cs-forum-edwardian-ring-find.147688/#post-2672986?hilit=Edwardian%20ring#p2672986']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sent-here-from-cs-forum-edwardian-ring-find.147688/#post-2672986?hilit=Edwardian%20ring#p2672986[/URL]

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Re: Would you take an antique piece apart and make a new rin

Under no circumstance would i take a part an antique piece that is in good condition. Save up your money and make your 3 stone ring instead and that way you can have two.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Thanks for your input. I keep thinking about it, but then I think of how old it is, and I change my mind. I wanted other antique lovers thoughts as well.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

My whole thing is you can always have a new ring made. But antiques are soooo much harder to come bye- especially when they are in good condition. Once it is gone- it's gone.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

If you take that beauty apart, I will hunt you down and pull all of your fingernails out by the roots!!! :evil:

Seriously, keep trolling ebay (or other auction/sale sites) and you may find some beautiful unset vintage stones that could be used to create a new treasure to your personal specifications! :saint:

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock

I would have no problem if it was a homely piece (and not a family ring) but if you did it to that ring I would have to sit on you while Uppy did her dirty works!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Lol ok ok I'll keep it as is. I don't want you all hunting me down and taking ME apart!!

LGK

Ideal_Rock

Oh YAY I'm glad to hear you decided to keep it intact! I realize it is really ornate but it's so perfect and beautiful, and would be totally destroyed if you took apart the center bezel.

I'd get something else for an alternate ring- dedicate yourself for a few months to trolling all the possible places for a steal of a deal (they turn up fairly regularly, but you gotta be looking to find them!). Ebay most especially but also Dover Jewelry both on eBay and on their own website, OWD, JbEG, etc.

Or get something else like a gemstone set in a really amazing setting.

ETA: if the band is simple, perhaps converting it to a necklace? that would be pushing the envelope in terms of altering/destroying an antique, but if the band is just plain, perhaps it could be done in such a way that it could be converted back if you ever changed your mind with minimal damage. If it wasn't possible to re-convert it I might pass on doing that. Just a thought anyway...

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

your ring is so intricate- and pristine I would have to see something so well preserved and "old" maybe even historical- be taken apart. I agree with the other posters that saving for a new ring is a better option...at least for me it would be.

stci

Ideal_Rock

I'm soooooooo glad you decide to keep this beauty intact. :appl: :love: :appl: :love:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

Only if it was hideous, badly damaged, or could not be modified to fit. I would feel really guilty about destroying something someone treasured long ago.

ETA- that design is amazing! You'd be crazy to dismantle it.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I purchased a ..75ct diamond, and a solitaire setting, so I will put it together when it gets here. It will make a nice alternative ring.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock

Just want to say I think your ring is gorgeous!!

Post your new one when you get it all done! Is it a vintage diamond too?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The diamond is about 40 yrs old, she said. I will know more when I get it tomorrow. I am hoping it's an old cut, although the table looks a bit large in the cruddy photo for an omc or ec.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm glad you decided to keep the ring as is. As far as taking an antique apart, I would only do it if the metal was bent out of shape or otherwise damaged beyond repair.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results