shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you swap jewelry with a friend?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This topic came up on a watch forum about friends swapping watches for a month.

one member said...we can swap wives for a month but not watches... :bigsmile:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mostly I have jewlery from the mall
I doubt anyone would want to swap with me here
i could swap with my sister and wear mum's ER - its head and shoulders and torso above grandma's
Or mum's saphire dress ring that is valued 12 times more than her eternity ring....

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, as I don't like to borrow anything from anyone, jewellery or otherwise.

Besides, I have a very strong personal tastes and doubt if other people's jewellery would be compatible with me.

Lastly, I would not want to worry about loss or damage of my own jewellery in another person's care, and vice versa.

DK :))

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No too much responsibility to take care of their stuff.

I do give away jewellery though. It just easier to hand it off and not care anymore what they do with it if it's a piece I don't wear much. Triple bonus points for me if I then see them wear it all the time at our girls meet ups.

I’d give it away as a gift or swap it permanently if we both seemed on board with the idea of having each other’s pieces and they were close enough in value that one person wasn’t getting hosed, but I wouldn’t temporarily swap jewelry with anyone except my mom and my sister.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on the friend. I borrowed my mom's jewelry when I was younger and would again if there was something I wanted to wear and vice versa. And if my sister wore jewelry I would borrow hers and let her borrow mine. And for some of my good friends yes I would.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I only borrowed or swapped with my mom. She was very generous, and usually gave me her pieces anyway. I would never borrow or swap with a friend. I have given away pieces though.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve only gifted pieces never traded or shared. My IRL friends and family don’t really have anything I’d be interested in TBH.
I’d swap with a PSer though :)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
TBH no...If we were out to lunch or something they could wear it during that...but not to take home. I lend things to my DIL but I don’t expect to get them back..haha None of my friends are into good jewelry so they wouldn’t even want to wear mine.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I've lent some of my of my pieces to a friend and my stepdaughter for their weddings and pictures. I've also lent 3 of my diamond bracelets/bangles to a friend so she could wear them and decide which style she likes best. If my pieces survive me, I'm not too concerned about someone else damaging it.

I wouldn't let anyone use my ER/WB though. I wish there was some sort of program out there where you could rent or lease a specific piece to live with it for a while before having one made. I've always wanted to try a target ring, but I'm not convinced I would wear it all the time, and so I won't spend the money to have one made. I see a lot of people have custom pieces made and then they don't love them. Maybe they would've saved some money if they had been able to live with it for a while before commissioning it?

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've only given jewelry away. I gave my antique cushion ring to my son and his fiance. I bought a pair of amethyst earrings because I was in a friend's wedding and we had purple dresses. I gave them to her recently. There are other pieces I've given away over the years. But I cant think of anyone I'd like to switch with since I'm very picky about jewelry.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve shared jewelry with friends for certain events. Aside from a handful of sentimental pieces I would be fine loaning jewelry to a friend for longer. But I wouldn’t want the responsibility of borrowing someone else’s jewelry for longer than an evening.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Absolutely not. I really, really even hate people touching my jewelry. My rings are locked up in a presentation box, some can be tried on, others I prefer not. I do believe in jewelry and diamonds carrying energy. I wear a lot of antiques the provenance of a few I know or I feel good about the ones I love. Besides that I had a goldsmith drop my 20 K emerald head on to a cement floor right in front of me. So no Thanks. No way. Yes I will gift pieces and perhaps with a close family member most pieces I would. My top whatever, five pieces, never.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No Way!
Either person could experience damage, theft, or loss.

Then what? :think:

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Sure- I would absolutely loan a friend jewelry for an event or evening. They would do the same for me.
Lol-I guess I trust my friends.
I don’t have expensive watches because I am positive I will smash them into something or scratch them. If I did have a fancy watch I would probably not loan due to potential damage.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I lent jewelry to one good friend for her wedding - a sapphire and diamond band for something blue. My daughter but she rarely borrows anything. My mom. That’s about it.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NEVER!!

I baby my jewellery and no way on earth would I let anyone touch my pretties, lest they scratch or damage them in any way. And those aside, I am a germophobe. I don't swap anything with anyone.

I made 2 mistakes: I lent an LV purse to a friend and she broke it. I lent a dress to another friend and I have not worn it since then.

If someone really really really wants something I have and I rarely wear it anymore and it's not of a huge value, I would gift it to them, but lend/swap, uh uh, never ever.

cm_ls1

Shiny_Rock
Gave one of my Rolex watches to my Bro in law once as he was going out for dinner with fiance , never again lol

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Give-- sometimes.
Lend-- no, other than to my daughter, who lives with us. When she eventually moves out, I will give her some more of my jewelry.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My friends are not into jewelry and don't have anything of interest, so no

I have loaned though, my niece borrowed the ring in my avatar on her wedding day

Q

Queenie60

No. Not worth the risk of damage or loss

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope.

I only "loan" stuff I'm okay with never getting back ... my jewelry does not fall into that category.

Yes, my friend Deborah says don't loan anything you are not prepared to give

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results