shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you purchase a Tiffany or Cartier mounting for a CS?

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Have you or would you purchase a Tiffany or Cartier mounting and have a colored stone mounted? Why or why not? Not a Tiffany or Cartier stone. Can this even be done? Would any jeweler do the work or will they not touch it because its Cartier or Tiffany? I assume Cartier or Tiffany would not do it. If you've done it in the past - can I please see your results?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Would you purchase a Tiffany or Cartier mounting for a C

If someone has an existing mounting that they want to reuse with a coloured stone, I don't see any issues with it. I also don't see why a jeweller will not set the stone into the piece. Yes, it is very unlikely that Cartier or Tiffany will do so. That said, leaving the original stone in the setting gives the owner/wearer bragging rights that it is an original Cartier, Tiffany or whatever it might be. The resale price will also better with an untouched original versus one with the stone switched out.

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks Chrono! I'm considering buying a preloved mounting with no stone (again!). While I do love the mounting, I don't want to let myself get hung up in the "But its also a <insert brand name here> ring!" and end up dramatically overpaying for it. One side of me thinks DREAMY I'll have this beautiful ring and make it my own with a gemstone rather than the diamond <yawn> everyone expects to see (no disrespect meant to the diamond lovers I just love the drama of color) But I do think about potential resale (I don't plan on it but a girl has to keep her options open in case a NEW beauty comes along) and wonder how such a ring would be received.....

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Paying for a name is one thing and it may sell better later for that reason but any setting can be re-created by a cheaper source, sometimes even with better quality. Best regards, Lee

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

I wouldn't pay extra for the name, but if I could buy the setting for less than an identical custom setting then that would be fine with me.

If you do go this route, be sure that the coloured stone will fit - most coloured stones are not cut to calibrated sizes.

I don't particularly rate Tiffany's coloured stones, those I have seen from Cartier have been very high quality. Diamonds don't interest me.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

I would buy a copy or replica but I could not justify purchasing a name brand setting for a coloured stone. Not that they are not worth it - of course they could be!- but I find paying for a name just too outrageous sometimes.

Finding one on eBay for a deal would be ok. Or being gifted a setting would be ok. Kinda weird how I process it but there ya go ;))

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock

I know it held a 1.5 carat round diamond and does appear that I cannot change out the head so that is definitely a concern if I won't be able to find a stone for it. Am I correct that I'd need ish a 7.4mm stone?
I do see something similar on WF - my issue is I need platinum so that seems to rule out the affordable vendors. The WF price is very very close to the price of the ring I'm considering (less than $50 difference) hmmmmmmm :confused:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Are you able to verify that the setting is an authetic piece amd not a replica?

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock

Its got its original box, COA (number matches ring) and receipt.......

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results