shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you make this trade???

DominaMusica

Rough_Rock
Hello, I am so eager for all your expertise and advice on this potential transaction! I've been offered a trade deal that I'm considering and hope that you will give me advice, especially those of you who love antique rings and older stones!

Short background, some of you may know this already: original engagement ring experience 10 years ago was terrible (bad stones, shoddy workmanship), so they remade the ring but it still wasn't what we wanted (it was a 1.11 princess with .35 side trillions). I paired it with a Whitney Boin platinum eternity band that we had gotten a great price on, but it also wasn't working for me (too heavy and wide (I'm a musician, so I need my rings to be light and not sharp)). Around our 5-year anniversary, we went back to that jeweler (unfortunately) so we could trade in and trade up the princess ring for a round brilliant (1.70, H). We are pretty sure they scalped us and they were very intimidating and pushy and we felt trapped because we had already invested the money with them. So, we get the round brilliant but they insist on putting it in a Tiffany 6-prong, which I hate because it's sharp.

I am a passionate lover of old rings and old stones, but when we got engaged 10 years ago we didn't know where to find them. Now we know! Which brings me to today: I went to a jeweler here in Dallas recommended by some friends to see about consigning/trading the Whitney Boin band. The conversation got interesting the more questions they asked about what I wanted, and eventually the very nice person left to get the manager, and a very nice manager/owner person came down to meet with me and brought the antique ring that I'm going to attach pictures of. Long story short, he said he would consider trading straight across, my Whitney Boin band and 1.70 solitaire for this ca. 1900s platinum engagement ring with a 1.86 old round brilliant K and two fancy cut sapphires on the sides.

Is this a crazy trade? Or am I super lucky to find a jeweler who is WILLING to make a trade, because I know that selling the jewelry on my own would be dicey and difficult and I wouldn't get much for them at all. The Whitney Boin and solitaire are gorgeous together, but I'm much more of an antique girl and they just aren't my style, plus they don't feel good to wear to my hands

Some pros: I LOVE old unique rings and have always wanted one. And I wouldn't have to put any other money forward.
Some cons: It would represent a net loss of roughly 5K from the combined costs of the Whitney Boin and solitaire. And though this antique ring is gorgeous, it's not an old european cut, which is something that I really love.

What do you think? The other options would be trying to go for a custom piece, and he said he would be willing to put my two rings as trade-ins for that as well, but we did not discuss any actual amounts, because we weren't picking out stones, etc.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, all! photo-144.jpg photo-136.jpg

photo-144.jpg

photo-143.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say only trade to get what you really want (an OEC). See if the jeweler can find you
one that he would be willing to trade for.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't. As they say around these parts: a deal is only a deal if you're getting exactly what you want. Personally, I'm not loving that new stone from the pictures ... and for an antique setting like that, I'd really want an OEC or OMC or Transitional. You might wanna contact Jewels by Erica Grace & see if they'd be open to a trade .... or you could ask the jeweler near you to consign your rings (for no less than an agreed upon amount) and then you can shop for the best antique stone/setting in that profit's budget window. Or .... list on Diamond Bistro?

Your own stone looks bright & lively from the one picture I see. I'm not a fan of round brilliants generally but I like the photo of your current set FAR more than the trade ring.

DominaMusica

Rough_Rock
Thanks, you guys - I think you are right, it's not a deal if it's not really what I want....

I got excited at the larger carat weight, and I got really excited at the prospect of a new fantastic ring for basically no additional money. What I love about some older stone cuts is the "spread" (I think that's what it's called?) when they have a bright wide face up, but the stone itself is actually fairly shallow. I'm wanting a stone set as close as possible to my finger, so that it is out of the way and not sharp. Prongs just do not work for me.

I think the most beautiful rings in the world come from SingleStone, but LA is too far away, and they don't take trade-ins (according to the very kind email back from them I got some time ago, inquiring).

I'm going to think about it a little more, then I think I might write the jeweler a thank-you email and ask him for more details about the option of trading in for an old european cut stone and a custom setting, and see if he's still willing to work with me under those circumstances. Then it's just hard for me because I don't have a real ring to hold and see, and I've never done a custom piece. But I was so happy that he was willing to trade!

Thoughts?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered having your stone recut into an old-style cut like Good Old Good sells and put it into an antique setting? An antique setting without a stone is not hard to find.

I don't see much point in obtaining (what you think) is an antique setting with a modern stone.

Sounds like you have had to compromise a lot on what you really want.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you would be losing 5k on rings that were purchased years ago, then this would be a win for the jeweler. I realize that you can't get what you paid for diamonds but they have appreciated quite a bit since then. If this were an OEC like you wanted, it might be a good deal for you. Settling for something less than what you want isn't a deal and I think you might regret it down the road.

I'd just be honest with him and see what else he might be able to do for you. Consignment is always an option but it does take time.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are in Dallas? What jeweler is this? And what is your original jeweler? I am in Dallas too. I can say from my experience and that of others on the board, Kubes in Fort Worth is awful. They have nice stuff but are dishonest and condescending. I use Sergio's in Casa Linda for repairs but have never made a large purchase from him, however he and his staff have always been very nice and good at understanding what we want and explaining to non-jewelry-people like my mom. They have a small but beautiful collection of antiques for sale and may have access to more or know of who would be best for that. The antique store on Hillcrest that is NOT the Jewel Box (it is about a block north, but I have forgotten the name) occasionally has some OECs, though not always. Skibell in Preston Center occasionally has some as well.

And I agree with the other posters, if you want an OEC, don't settle for something else or you will just be unhappy again. There is no point to making a trade to something you only sort of want instead of to your dream ring, especially when you are losing value that could be leveraged to get what you really want.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think you could get a similar effect by simply resetting your current stone into an antique setting ... and I think it would cost you a lot less than the difference between the value of your set and that ring. Check out Leigh Jay Nacht, maybe, and see if any of their stock settings appeal, or if they have vintage settings on hand that might suit for the diameter of your current stone?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would *almost never* go "custom" for an antique looking ring. If they don't have the exact thing you're getting ... or Singlestone or 23rd street are doing it ... JUST SAY NO. There are too many wonderful real antiques and reproductive designs out there to mess around with some local yee-haw trying to design "antique" from scratch. :tongue:

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Circe|1341525627|3229119 said:
I think you could get a similar effect by simply resetting your current stone into an antique setting ... and I think it would cost you a lot less than the difference between the value of your set and that ring. Check out Leigh Jay Nacht, maybe, and see if any of their stock settings appeal, or if they have vintage settings on hand that might suit for the diameter of your current stone?

Great idea! Could be a good interim solution!

DominaMusica

Rough_Rock
Thanks!
You are all right...thank you for slowing me down and making me think this through, Miss Gotrocks! I do love that ring he showed me, but I'm not totally convinced it's "the" ring. I would give anything for SIngleStone to be closer to Dallas. I'll keep lighting candles every night and wishing upon stars that they change their trade-in policy. :love:
Circe, I had corresponded with Jay Leigh Nacht last year, and they only had one setting that they said could accommodate the 1.70 stone that I have, but I love their site and I keep looking.
I have read some terrifying custom setting stories on PS about exactly that, jewelers who swore up and down it would be fine and then it never is. This is so tricky.
Distracts, is it kosher on PS to say who these jewelers are? I know it's okay to say when it's positive - since yesterday was a positive experience overall, I'll tell you it was the Diamond Broker on Preston. The bad experiences...were from a small jeweler further down Preston near Forest Lane.
I also need to learn to advocate for myself better. If we hadn't been so intimidated in the original store things might have gone differently.
Swingirl, I mentioned yesterday at the jeweler that it had been suggested to me (via email by Heather from SingleStone) that they could cut my RB to look like an older stone for probably only a few hundred. The two ladies at the counter reacted (humorously, they weren't rude) as though I had just offered to eat their pets. They were SO shocked and told me I'd lose all the carat weight and value and etc. etc. etc. I said the ring was giving me ZERO value right now, sitting in a jewelry box while I have a sad naked ring finger and a sad husband who tried to give me what we wanted.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Many PSers including myself have had excellent results with a recut. The cutter will assess the stone and let you know what he can do to improve/change the cut and how much weight to expect to lose. My stone improved dramatically, lost a little weight but kept the dimensions. It started off very deep. I love my stone now whereas before it was ugly. It's just something to consider especially since you have a large stone. My recut was on a 0.5 ct stone and still worth the $300 it cost to recut.

DominaMusica

Rough_Rock
You know....in for a penny, in for a pound....I think I'm going to ask my husband if he's willing to let me go all out for a Single Stone recut and setting. If I will wear this forever, and have been unhappy for a whole decade....you are right, why settle? It's the only expensive piece of jewelry I will ever own (and I'm fine with that - the simplicity and symbolism of it appeals to me), and to have something handcrafted that wasn't a compromise is more and more appealing. I like that you are really happy with your recut, that's encouraging to me.

I broached the topic of the recut with that other Dallas jeweler, and they thought it was insane, but it makes a lot of financial sense for the money already invested. However, I mentioned it to my husband several months ago, and he was concerned that if we already thought the diamond was devalued by the passage of time, would it be basically worthless cut to look like an older stone. What are your thoughts on that?

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
DominaMusica|1341946060|3231739 said:
You know....in for a penny, in for a pound....I think I'm going to ask my husband if he's willing to let me go all out for a Single Stone recut and setting. If I will wear this forever, and have been unhappy for a whole decade....you are right, why settle? It's the only expensive piece of jewelry I will ever own (and I'm fine with that - the simplicity and symbolism of it appeals to me), and to have something handcrafted that wasn't a compromise is more and more appealing. I like that you are really happy with your recut, that's encouraging to me.

I broached the topic of the recut with that other Dallas jeweler, and they thought it was insane, but it makes a lot of financial sense for the money already invested. However, I mentioned it to my husband several months ago, and he was concerned that if we already thought the diamond was devalued by the passage of time, would it be basically worthless cut to look like an older stone. What are your thoughts on that?

I am working with Single Stone right now on a recut and new setting, and so far I couldn't be happier with them. I went into the store last week, and everyone is amazingly nice and helpful. They are night and day from other jewelers I have dealt with. I immediately fell in love with one of their pieces, and I am currently working on customizing it to my specific tastes The price made me feel a bit faint, but like you said, this is hopefully going to be my forever ring and I want to make sure it's perfect!!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I am in Dallas too DominicaMusica and I wish I had some people to send you to. I do have one, but I think it was a needle in a haystack and I ended up buying that stone they had, but you just never know what they get in. I can tell you several to avoid. If you want an old cut at a deal, have you considered selling your stone and starting fresh and letting the PS pros help you find an old cut online? Sorry if you have addressed this, I only skimmed... I agree, hold out for something that is exactly what you want :)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds lose value the moment you walk out of the store - you as an individual will never be able to sell them for the same amount a retail store would. But diamonds have gone up in value since you bought yours, so you can sell it for more now than you could right when you bought it. But still for less than retail. If you would like to stick with a diamond around the same size, color, and clarity but in an old cut, you'd sell yours at a loss and then probably have to shell out more money to buy a new one (if you could even find an original old cut in a color that high - if you couldn't, you'd have to get a newly-cut one, which costs more). It really makes a lot more financial sense to see if your stone can be recut. From what you've said here and on your other threads, I think you know what will make you happy and this is a good way to get it.

(And yes it is totally okay to tell who the jeweler was even if it was a bad experience. Plenty of people do to warn other consumers. But if you're not comfortable with it, that's okay too.)

DominaMusica

Rough_Rock
Twosanguinehearts, I just looked at your post - what a stone!!!! That stone is to die for, and that ring will be so beautiful. I have started corresponding with Heather again, and she is sending me designs. I'm still constrained by budget a bit so I have to be modest in the setting (which means basically no side stones, alas), but they could not be kinder, and I feel like I will be able to have utter confidence in what they craft instead of fearing every step through an expensive process that something will be subpar. I can't wait for more pictures from your setting!

Vinjewels, your OEC is my dream stone. I LOVE darker colors like O and N. That stone is GORGEOUS. DREAM STONE. If I could only go back in time and NOT spend what we spent on the RB I'm getting ready to have recut, I would cry for your rock to be mine. I looked at the JbEG listing for it.

I really have thought about selling the RB. In a perfect world, I would have (and I guess that I still could, even though I'm writing with SingleStone about the recut, I'm sure they could also sell me a stunning completed ring). As Distracts points out totally correctly, like a car, the diamond lost value (the me, the consumer) the second I walked out that door so long ago at that jeweler that scalped us (and since it's okay to say, I would recommend against using "The Diamond Broker," folks). I fear I couldn't sell the RB for half of what we paid (is it kosher to say? though I'm afraid you will all point at me and laugh for overpaying. we didn't know any better, and my husband was trying so hard to get me what he thought I wanted).
But half of what we paid wouldn't likely cover purchasing an OEC (though I would TOTALLY embrace a lower colored stone, I'm not picky about color, it just happens the one I have is about an H, and I love darker, warmer stones). I am a bit of a size queen, but stones with color really appeal to me. And after finding the stone, I'd have to buy a setting (another $3K-$5K), so it really did seem to make the most sense just to look into a recut ($300?) and a setting ($3K-$5K) but without having the permanently lose the difference. It will be CLOSE to what I would want in a perfect world, but since the money is sunk into the existing stone, it's making the best of it, I think. It's hard to know, and it's hard to convince my husband, since it's several thousand dollars no matter what way you slice it.

Snow_Miser

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure who certified your stone, or the specific specs of your stone, but if you're willing to let JbEG help you consign it, I bet you could get really close to matching the price of this stone (which I have been oogling and think is TDF):
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.c...e-OEC/20930169_g3PZxS#!i=1662598720&k=S4DtFHw

It's listed at $10,800, so I'm not sure if you could swing it or not, but I wanted to show it to you as an option, since you said you like lower colors and size. Also, if you have a lot of information on your current diamond, it might not be too hard to sell in on the bistro. If you listed it for 11-12k I bet it would sell quickly!

Good luck, I am excited to see your new SS ring!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'll probably come out best financially to let SS do the recut and make you a setting. They are having a sale right now on existing stock, though. The problem is that you'd have to sell your current ring yourself, I assume, before buying a new one. So that might not work. I still think the recut and reset is the way to go!

DominaMusica

Rough_Rock
Oh, Snow Miser, that is EXACTLY the kind of stone that I want. Lord have mercy, that thing is pretty!
I just don't know how to sell my RB for a decent price (i.e. above 50%). I thought about diamond bistro, which I don't check often, but it seems like items over $10K don't seem to sell very fast. Has anyone sold there? I fear the bait and and switch thing (as does everyone trying to sell their own jewelry to someone that you don't meet in person at a jeweler to have everything checked, etc.).

Poor SingleStone, they are being so patient with me while I try to decide what to do. Ack.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results