shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you like to see pictures of...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
…of my asscher?

Hi P-scopers!

Now that I have your attention, please be warned, this post is WICKED long! If you do not wish to read the details of my search, please skip to the next post (pictures, etc.).

I’ve been lurking for months and have just started posting in the last couple of days.

DH and I have been married for almost 8 years, have three kids, and have decided this is the year I can have my dream ring made.

I always thought I wanted an oval shaped diamond e-ring. After educating myself as much as I could, mostly by reading NiceIce’s incredibly informative, hilarious and irreverent web site, and talking to Robin about it, I changed my mind and decided to go with a round brilliant instead. Thank you very much NiceIce and Robin for your words of wisdom and the education you offer to us laypeople on your website. It’s got to be one of the best examples of how the web can disseminate “insider industry information” to help create educated consumers. Plus it’s really fun to read. I also purchased some very reasonably priced toys from NiceIce to use while playing with my future purchase(s) (10x loupe, diamond tweezers, polishing cloth).

I also have to thank NiceIce for pointing me in the direction of my Independent Appraiser, Martin Haske. For any of you who don’t know about Marty, here’s what I can share: after getting a BS and an MS at MIT, Marty then spent his career in research at MIT in weapons guidance systems. He started gemology as a hobby, and it has become his second career. He is now a GG, as well as an inventor of things mechanical/electronic that grading labs use in the course of their work (I know I’m not doing this part justice, but for a better look, check out his website at http://www.gis.net/~adamas/ , and check out this review by the Mackley Co. of the SAS2000 created by Marty:

… a review of the SAS2000 for diamond and gemstone evaluation and grading. Lee Davis an AGS-CGA at Seng Jewelers, in Louisville, Kentucky wants other gemologists to know the SAS2000 spectrophotometer, "is not a toy . . . it is a technical gemological instrument used in the evaluation of gemstones".
The SAS2000 provides the most accurate colorimetry available today for diamond color grading, helps determine radiation treatments of diamond, provides better ability than the DeBeer’s DiamondSure to detect probable synthetic diamonds, replaces the spectroscope for transparent gemstone evaluation, and produces a consumer oriented, copyrighted Diamond Quality Analysis Report which shows the WHY of a diamond color grade.The SAS2000 combines a state of the art, dual channel fiberoptic spectrophotometer with an approximate optical resolution of 1.5nm.

Oh, and Marty is also teaching Geology at Suffolk University in Boston. I’m sure he does lots of other things too that I don’t know about, but needless to say, I’m a huge fan of this brilliant, funny, and outspoken guy who is the definition of integrity and so much more than a GG and appraiser!

On to the stone … after scouring the p-scope and other on-line inventory lists obsessively for weeks, and even paying for and having a few stones sent to look at with Marty, something was still missing and I returned them all. Then, one night, I was checking out some p-scope threads, when I happened upon Lovey’s post:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cant-stop-smiling-story-of-a-man-with-a-square-emerald-leon.24458/=

and that was that. I had to have an Asscher. I had never seen one in person, but I knew this was it. It was singing to me through the monitor! I spent the next weeks talking to Fabrikant, Fortunoff, Lester Lampert Diamond Brokers of Fl, and others, trying to find a Royal Asscher. By the way, all of those vendors were incredibly helpful and I’d like to thank them for spending time with me on my search. But I was beginning to feel like Goldie Locks. Everything was too small, or too big and expensive. There were exactly three stones east of Chicago that came close to what I was hoping for, but none were quite right. Also, the premium on the Royals was starting to sound like too much for me. Being a bit of a size ‘ho, I determined that I was willing to give up on the Royal and start hunting for an antique asscher.

After calling a bunch of very nice and helpful estate jewelers (like Nelson Rarities and Firestone and Parsons), I realized the same thing was happening. Antique asschers were incredibly hard to find, and very expensive! So, I called Marty and asked him the specs I should look for in a generic. He gave me the secret formula, and I was off on my final search.

After a few more weeks, I found some stones listed by several p-scope vendors, but decided to go with Whiteflash to have them called in based on WF's fantastic customer service feedback from other p-scopers, as well as their very generous return, buy-back and trade-up policies. First Leslie Harris and then Bob Hoskins spent time with me. Bob ordered the stones sent. Photographed them, had them sarin’d, etc. I forwarded all the information to Marty, who said one stone in particular looked like a killer. That’s all I needed to hear. It arrived on Wednesday, and Marty evaluated it with me yesterday. I’m sitting on it for the weekend to make sure, but I think this might be it.

After so many months of reading the posts of the incredibly generous vendors and informed consumers on this sight, I feel like I know many of you (Lovey, Mara, Nan, Valeria, Dave Atlas, Rhino, Reena, strmrdr, Josh, Tomato, and a ton of others I’m sure I’m forgetting) whithout further ado, I’d like to thank the academy …

I’m a little nervous, but I really want to hear what you guys all think of this stone? If this is it, then I'm on to Mark Morrell who, it turns out, does his magic in my own home town
36.gif
!!

Pictures coming up.

Cheers,
LizzyD

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
the GIA grading report ...

cert1.JPG

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
the Sarin report ...

sarin2.JPG

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
the IdealScope picture ...

Iscope3.JPG

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
the 40x photo from Whiteflash ...

40x4.JPG

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
At home, natural light, no flash, against white paper ...

aowp5.jpg

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
outside, in the snow ...

snow6.jpg

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
on my hand, no flash ...

hand7.jpg

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
OMG - it took me so long to post this stuff I realize I have to go feed my kids. BBL!

Cheers,
LizzyD

Addlepated

Shiny_Rock
Wow! That''s really pretty! I would love to have an Asscher some day.
30.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG, It''s just gorgeous, you lucky lucky girl!!! I love asschers and want one soooo bad. Congratulations!!!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Whoa, it''s beautiful! I love the size and it''s internally flawless?!

It sounds like this is the one for you!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
wow.. that does look like one stunning asscher!!! congrats- sounds like you have found THE ONE!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2005 2:52:56 PM
Author:lizzyd

I called Marty and asked him the specs I should look for in a generic.

He gave me the secret formula, and I was off on my final search.
So..... is it really secret ????

Congratulations for the find, of course
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH MY GOSH!!!!! That is an absolutely STUNNING diamond!!!

I love the combination, I and IF...very unusual...and it looks very white to me.

I think you did a fabulous job with the selection.....kudos to the experts who helped you along during the search!!

LOVE the natural light shot where it looks somewhat warm...you are very brave with that snow shot, what if it fell in?!?!?
6.gif

I adore Asschers and would love to have one set into a RHR vintage setting one day...enjoy yours and again, stunning.

Oh and also... a MM setting for the beauty?! DO TELL! What will it be like? Fabulous I am sure.

Yum!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2005 4:46:2 PM
Author: Mara

I love the combination, I and IF...very unusual...and it looks very white to me.

LOVE the natural light shot where it looks somewhat warm...
Mara, you naughty girl... what are you trying to say here...
11.gif

There seem to be several "competing" stones at WF (not that I know what the selection set was to begin with)... but this one really seems the lucky choice: very fine cut and desirable specs all over
34.gif
Whatever that secret formula is, it surely worked this time. The "result" has terrific presence
5.gif

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
wow lizzy, congrats on the great find! i think it is an absolutely stunning asscher, love the last pic of it sitting on your hands, looks so white and i could just get lost in it
30.gif
yes, please share what MWM setting you are thinking of, a setting by him would go perfect with your flawless asscher because his work is flawless also
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yummy
Can you repeat the at home natural light no flash picture with a black or dark blue background?
Once you see the pic you will know why :}

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I love it.
It''s important to buy VVS or IF for an Asscher, I wouldn''t go lower for a big size.
The best picture is in the snow, you can see the fire...

WARNING : Wearing this diamond under halogene light can hurt your eyes !

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW!! you done good!!!
congratulations on an amazing stone!!
36.gif

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for your kinds words.

I''m still wrestling with the color. It''s a beautiful stone in all other aspects, but I''m wondering if the color will trouble me down the road. I know once it''s set the color won''t be quite as visible. The loose stone is very white in many light environments. It''s somewhat warm in a few light environments. Also, because of the 17% crown it has a ton of fire. It''s incredibly lively especially for an EC. What to do ...

As for the setting, if I keep the stone, I was first thinking of a boxter/pave/halo type setting in platinum a la Lovey/Reena/Tiffany''s Legacy/Daniel K (but no prongs, bezel set). But now I''m thinking of getting a very simple, platinum, solitaire setting and wearing it for several weeks/months to make sure the color doesn''t remain an issue. If it does, I can trade the stone in to Whiteflash for another and I won''t have lost too much on the setting. In the mean time, I would probably suppliment my need for bling by getting a really beautiful, wide, diamond eternity band from Signed Pieces and wear it next to the solitaire. If I get the boxter setting right away, will that make me love it more and make me less prone to return it? Or will it make me feel chained to a yellow stone because I''ve invested so much in the setting?

Big question for you experts out there:

Are the stones used in pave matched to the center stone? Or will F/G/H melee surrounding the center stone make it look yellower? Could I get melle in an H/I color range? Or would those look super yellow?

Any input is appreciated. I''ve learned so much from you guys already. This board rocks!

Cheers,
LizzyD

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
The pave could be set in yellow gold and your diamond with white prongs.
Remember, even if your Asscher is a D color, it won''t look as white as the side stones if they are H&A''s.
Why would I buy an Asscher?
Because of the bold color flashes and the nice scintillation, not for the color.
I-J IF-VVS is just my dream Asscher.
Let me borrow this picture from WF :
(This one with shared prongs could be so fine !)

gi_DV-916_f.jpg

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
''I'' colour a yellow stone? I don''t think so.
29.gif

I think your asscher is gorgeous and if it were mine they''d have to cut it off my finger to get it back!
9.gif

I have a lovely 3ct asscher cut Interlap set in white gold and made by Wink. It''s wonderful, but what I''d give to have a diamond one.........
27.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love that ring set Stephan! Beautiful!

Lizzy...try not to focus on the color too much. I think it looks fabulous in the pictures but of course you have to wear it, not me!
9.gif

I personally think that a stone this size would be fabulous without the pave halo/bezel of some of the other rings you mentioned, but it depends on what type of look you like. I tend to think the halo/bezel looks best with slightly smaller diamonds (aka 2c or less in 'fancies') that one wants to make look larger or more commanding on the hand, but the larger diamonds like this I think can more than stand on their own with not too much embellishment. Esp the way it looks next to your finger...aka large! Everyone's tastes will be different, and I adore some of the rings you mentioned, but this beauty just is screaming to me to stand on it's own.

I would love an Asscher this size, and to put it into something vintage and delicate befitting the antique look of the stone. Asschers to me are old-school, they are not modern looking, so I see double pronged pave setting with cathedral shoulders or similar. Something with not too much metal and maybe a pave basket gallery in the early 1900 style.

But that is just me. I agree wearing it as a solitaire for a while will give you a better sense of the stone's color AND will most likely help you solidify what type of permanent setting you would want for it, as you will have more time to research and get a feel for the 'personality' of the stone.

Whatever you choose I am sure it will be fabulous, that is one amazing rock!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wanted to also post my FAVE asscher picture...this is a Cartier piece from 1922 that is 5.55c. Love the setting, double prongs, and the stone itself is a beauty. This is kind of the setting I would envision for myself, with maybe a few modifications.

cartier ascher 555 1922.jpg

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lizzy..

That is one beautiful diamond. Wow..I can''t wait to see what this will look like when set. Great job picking out a stone!
21.gif

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
I echo Josh''s sentiment- what an amazing stone and I can''t wait to see what setting you choose....

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2005 118:40 AM
Author: lizzyd

I would probably suppliment my need for bling by getting a really beautiful, wide, diamond eternity band from Signed Pieces and wear it next to the solitaire
How about...
4.gif
getting your Asscher some company in-kind

Band_Asscher_cut_Dia.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very convinced this stone will grow on you... it really is fantastic. Besides, since GIA does not guarantee perfect consistency of it''s grading, this one as any other "I" could have returned from the lab "H": would that letter feal better ?
2.gif

Having the stone set will change it''s looks quite a bit. I don''t even think you have to go blindly for one type of setting or another without trying them out first. All is needed is an empty setting for you to try out at the jewelry store: the stone does not need to be set - just dropped in so you can see what having some white metal around it does to it''s looks. I would think the bezel (="boxter") will have the more dramatic effect of the two.
34.gif

IMO, having a temp setting is as good as asking WF for a replacement off the bat.
11.gif

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everybody,

Thank you so much for the input!

I think I am going to keep the stone.

Stephan, I like your idea, but I just can''t wear yellow gold. My Welsh/Scottish heritage has left me with skin that is very pale with pink undertones (read that: pasty
10.gif
), that looks kinda green when near all things gold.

Ana, I thought about that band, and concluded that perhaps, since I wasn''t going to get a lot of sparklies out of the asscher, I could get my sparkly fix with one of the eternity bands of asschesrs/baquettes in the middle row with a row of rb''s on each side of it. I may think about wearing them on seperate hands thought if it ended up drowning out the asscher.

Oh, Strmrdr (what is your real name btw?) this attached pic is for you. I tried to do what you suggested: natural light, no flash on a black background, and the stone kept sort of blinding the camera. All I could get was this indistinct ball of white lightning in the middle of the frame (was that the point of the exercise?
21.gif
). So, I gave up, removed as much light as I could and used a flash. I''ll keep trying.

Mara - I''ve seen that pic befor and LOVE it!!! I''ve been concerned that prongs of any type would interfere with the windmill patterning out by the corners, but those Cartier prongs are not intrusive at all. What does that ring look like from the side? What modifications would you make?

Josh - I know, I can''t wait to see what I''m going to do with it either
33.gif

Bagpuss -
19.gif
Sorry, didn''t mean to touch a nerve. I''ve looked at very few diamonds since learning so much about what to look for. This is the first asscher I''ve ever seen in person, and I can see warmth in the color in some environments. I just don''t know if that will bother me later on. Everybody has different color tolerances. It is already growing on me though, but I''m not sure I''d be willing to lose a digit for it
6.gif

By the way, Ana, you''re right about the H making me feel better. Who has "It''s easier to find an eye clean stone than a mind clean stone" in their siggy? Boy is that ever true! When Marty measured the color, he said before he adjusted for tone, the stone came up as an F/G. Not sure how that all works, but it looked really white when I first opened it up. And my pallid complexion along with a simple prong setting may end up working in my favor. When my husband puts it on his hand (he has very olive skin with lots of gold undertones) the stone looks gold!

Thanks again you guys. This is SO exciting!

Cheers,
LizzyD

flash2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results