Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you keep an *ugly* ring JUST because it was an heirloom?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am dying to see it. Please post a picture.

I am not sure what I would do. I have a few pieces like that belonged to my mom that are so not my taste, but so far I have kept them and she has been gone almost 20 years. I have gotten rid of a lot of her other things (almost all furniture) but have kept the jewelry. It is an easier thing to keep than some larger pieces.

LisaRN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I would not unless it is the only thing I have to remember them by.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a coral necklace from this grandmother that I like. I was not as close with her as I was with my other grandmother. Unfortunately I did not get as much time with her.

I think I will ask my mom if she wants this ring back 873E736F-A452-4FD1-AA35-B8E5B8760CF9.jpeg 767A9F74-5ACE-4E32-BC60-47955058B924.jpeg 92606944-E33D-48D8-8EDA-6447A64A27CE.jpeg . It is just collecting dust with me.

(It’s not actually *ugly* necessarily... just 100% not my style.)

Daisys and Diamonds

Ideal_Rock
I have a coral necklace from this grandmother that I like. I was not as close with her as I was with my other grandmother. Unfortunately I did not get as much time with her.

I think I will ask my mom if she wants this ring back 873E736F-A452-4FD1-AA35-B8E5B8760CF9.jpeg 767A9F74-5ACE-4E32-BC60-47955058B924.jpeg 92606944-E33D-48D8-8EDA-6447A64A27CE.jpeg . It is just collecting dust with me.

(It’s not actually *ugly* necessarily... just 100% not my style.)
What did you deside to do with grandma's ring ?
When my mum died we came across my great grandmother's wedding ring
it must have sad in my mum's jewlwry box since her own mother had died
i knew nothing about this great granny - not even her name but her ring inspired me to find out
i knew i would never wear a wedding ring but i didn't want it to sit around another generation unwarn so i took it to the jewler and had little saphires put into it like a gypsy ring
Now i wear it all the time on my pinky

Your grandma's ring may come in handy as a spacer ring or as part of a stack some day
Its certainly not ugly

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What did you deside to do with grandma's ring ?
When my mum died we came across my great grandmother's wedding ring
it must have sad in my mum's jewlwry box since her own mother had died
i knew nothing about this great granny - not even her name but her ring inspired me to find out
i knew i would never wear a wedding ring but i didn't want it to sit around another generation unwarn so i took it to the jewler and had little saphires put into it like a gypsy ring
Now i wear it all the time on my pinky

Your grandma's ring may come in handy as a spacer ring or as part of a stack some day
Its certainly not ugly
It’s just not my style. I’m going to save it. Forget about it, and let my kids or grandkids discover it one day.

TheGarnetGirl

Brilliant_Rock
It’s just not my style. I’m going to save it. Forget about it, and let my kids or grandkids discover it one day.
I just did that but with my great uncles jewelry & it was so much fun!
Especially because I didn't expect to find anything "fine".
I was given a vintage velvet box that when I opened a bunch of gold filled cufflinks fell out of but when I looked closer & through it all I found a 14k yellow gold pin with a gypsy set diamond, a ss and turquoise indian stick pin, a ss & turquoise pin of our state, & a pair of cufflinks that were solid gold with diamonds set into them.
It felt like a mini treasure hunt and sparked great joy (:

Maybe put the ring in a box with pieces that are more affordable or that are costume, so it'll be even more exciting when they find it! ♥

Glad you decided to keep it!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just did that but with my great uncles jewelry & it was so much fun!
Especially because I didn't expect to find anything "fine".
I was given a vintage velvet box that when I opened a bunch of gold filled cufflinks fell out of but when I looked closer & through it all I found a 14k yellow gold pin with a gypsy set diamond, a ss and turquoise indian stick pin, a ss & turquoise pin of our state, & a pair of cufflinks that were solid gold with diamonds set into them.
It felt like a mini treasure hunt and sparked great joy (:

Maybe put the ring in a box with pieces that are more affordable or that are costume, so it'll be even more exciting when they find it! ♥

Glad you decided to keep it!
I love the idea of an heirloom accidental treasure hunt :)

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'd try to re-purpose it into something I'd wear or keep it to hand down to someone else later on. It may not be your style, but a daughter or niece may absolutely love it and wear it daily. I'd be hesitant to melt it down just for $150...

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I have a ring that belonged to my grandmother. I’ll post a pic later but it’s essentially a cheap gold band, with a design that is not my style at all.

I am so tempted to sell it for scrap, especially with the price of gold having gone up. But I have so few heirloom pieces that it seems wrong to do this.

But I will never ever ever wear it.

Thoughts?
I have a ring I treasure that was a high school graduation gift from my grandmothers older sister to my grandmother when she graduated high school in 1936! (and if you do the math, you will see she was born in 1918 during the pandemic). She gave it to me for my high school graduation. I did wear it for years but decided It is not my taste anymore. Yellow gold and fragile. But I will never part with it. My grandma and her sisters are no longer living but knowing her ring is in my bedroom that I enjoy taking out and looking at from time to time makes me happy. I was also super close to her sister and that makes it even more special.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Tennis Bracelet Love
    Tennis Bracelet Love

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.