Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you get an appraisal after purchasing online from a beloved ps vendor o

Would you get an independent appraisal if your purchased your diamond ring online from a PS vendor?

• A. Yes

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • B. No

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thread got me thinking—would you trust a PS vendor enough not to confirm your purchase with an appraisal? Or would you get one just in case.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
An appraisal may be needed for insurance.
I don’t see it as a matter of trust but of being a good/Informed/wise consumer. If I didn’t trust them I would do business elsewhere. That said, if a vendor supplies a detailed appraisal I don’t always get my own.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
As a trade member the line is "its never a bad idea to get an independent appraisal."
Since I agree with it I will use it.

The biggest reason I would consider it is documentation for insurance. The vendor for my Wifey's upgrade/cancer survival celebration ering diamond provided a 15+ page insurance document that had all the important pictures and data for the diamond so I did not.
Does the documentation you have describe what you have to a degree it can be replaced with the exact same thing and lists everything that was important about that diamond and setting that made you want to purchase it?
The brand being listed is very important if its branded but by itself in my opinion is not adequate. It still needs a description and ideally images if the images were part of your purchase decision.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a trade member the line is "its never a bad idea to get an independent appraisal."
Since I agree with it I will use it.

The biggest reason I would consider it is documentation for insurance. The vendor for my Wifey's upgrade/cancer survival celebration ering diamond provided a 15+ page insurance document that had all the important pictures and data for the diamond so I did not.
Does the documentation you have describe what you have to a degree it can be replaced with the exact same thing and lists everything that was important about that diamond and setting that made you want to purchase it?
The brand being listed is very important if its branded but by itself in my opinion is not adequate. It still needs a description and ideally images if the images were part of your purchase decision.
^——THIS! I had my rings appraised for insurance purposes. I trust my jeweler, or DH and I wouldn’t have given them our business in the first place.
The same applies to my Asschers from Yoram. He is a trusted vendor on PS with a stellar reputation. For the same reason, I want those stones (and the setting created for them) insured.
My appraisal is to insure my valuables in case of theft, or loss.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Its a great idea to get an appraisal! Even if you opt not to insure your new bling, appraisal can help you decide whether to keep or return what you bought based on whether the price you paid was fair (Or better yet a great bargain). It can’t hurt to appraise something, and it can really help.

I’ll put myself in an imaginary scenario. I sell a diamond, the buyer isn’t sure they love it, so they get an appraisal. Afterward the buyer decides not to keep the stone so they return it. They offer me a copy of the appraisal. Buyer gets their money back, and the I get an appraisal copy to help me understand whether my listing price was fair or not, so I am able to adjust. Why would I not be happy and grateful for that? I’m free to disregard it, but why? Admittedly I’m not some huge vendor, but I don’t see a down side to getting things appraised.

Is the cost of appraisals a deterrent?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its a great idea to get an appraisal! Even if you opt not to insure your new bling, appraisal can help you decide whether to keep or return what you bought based on whether the price you paid was fair (Or better yet a great bargain). It can’t hurt to appraise something, and it can really help.

I’ll put myself in an imaginary scenario. I sell a diamond, the buyer isn’t sure they love it, so they get an appraisal. Afterward the buyer decides not to keep the stone so they return it. They offer me a copy of the appraisal. Buyer gets their money back, and the I get an appraisal copy to help me understand whether my listing price was fair or not, so I am able to adjust. Why would I not be happy and grateful for that? I’m free to disregard it, but why? Admittedly I’m not some huge vendor, but I don’t see a down side to getting things appraised.

Is the cost of appraisals a deterrent?
Hi. As to your question—I would think the cost is a deterrent. To clarify, this is a hypothetical as I haven’t purchased nor intend to purchase an ering from an online vendor. I was curious and am surprised by the responses.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's a huge red flag if a seller tells the buyer not to get an appraisal.
That part is easy.
But say someone purchased a "Super Ideal" cut diamond.... ( or for that matter, a rare fancy colored diamond).....
You'd really need to shop around to find an appraiser that understands the item.
Lets' not forget that many PS users actually are more educated on some of the more "boutique" diamonds and settings than many professionals in the field.
Sad but true.
So make sure, if you are getting an appraisal, that you shop around for your appraiser.....

PS- a well-written bill of sale should include all the pertinent information which would be on an appraisal.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Long read but a ton of good info

I miss Rockdoc RIP
Hard to believe its been 13 years.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    The Original: Princess Raiyah Of Jordan
    The Original: Princess Raiyah Of Jordan
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.