shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you get a GIA report with your ACA diamond?

Searchingforering

Rough_Rock
Hello, I am getting a 2 ct ACA H color diamond from WhiteFlash for my e-ring. I am relatively new to diamonds. The diamond, of course, will come with the AGS report. Would you pay $448 + tax for a GIA cert? GIA inscriptions will cost $24, would you get this if you got the GIA?

Thank you in advance for your opinion!

Is there a specific reason you'd want a GIA report as well? Personally, I'd skip it. The reputation of AGS and WF would be enough for me to feel confident as to what I'll be getting. Plus, you can always get the GIA report later for whatever reason. Might as well save yourself some time and $ for now!

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn’t bother myself. I’m comfortable with the single report. Especially, dealing with Whiteflash!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What would the goal of getting the GIA report be? As in - what are you wanting to achieve?

My answer depends on yours.

Searchingforering

Rough_Rock
I was initially thinking the GIA report gives more insurance value and possible resale value later on the road or for passing the ring on as an heirloom. Would another report matter with that?

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You definitely don't need one, but if you think you may want one in the future I would do it now. I love a diamond with dual certification.

I was initially thinking the GIA report gives more insurance value and possible resale value later on the road or for passing the ring on as an heirloom. Would another report matter with that?

I have heard that GIA tends to be more well-known outside of the US. So it may help with resale. And usually I'd recommend sending loose stones to labs before they're set for convenience's sake.

However, in this case, the lab fees are quite high (to me at least). Plus, if you decide to go with insured shipping, then that will add to the overall cost. Furthermore, if you do decide to sell it later, you'd probably be unmounting the stone then anyways. Your jeweler can always send the loose stone off to GIA on your behalf.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay. In this case my answer is “no”.

Why?
1. Because the “value” of an ACA branded diamond is higher than the value of an otherwise-commensurate GIA-certified stone. So you’ll want to insure it as an ACA (with the report that qualifies it as an ACA, the AGS), to ensure replacement of like kind and quality. A GIA isn’t an insurance/insurability value add.
2. For resale, again, if you choose your audience wisely the dollar “value” of the ACA brand will trump a GIA report. And WF’s lifetime upgrade policy gives you options to change your stone even after the buy back policy expires.

You can always unset and send to GIA in future. Any decision you make right now isn’t #forever. No worries about closing future doors.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.

If it was a Fancy Colored Diamond, then definitely Yes; if the FCD world GIA is the only report that would do here in the USA.
For any non-diamond colored gem I'd would not consider buying it if it did not have a report from AGL even if it already had a report from GIA.

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
If you did decide to sell down the road for whatever reason, it might be valuable to potential buyers if you had a more current report to reflect the condition of the diamond at that time — so I would wait until then to unset and obtain a second report if I were you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've bought several ACAs and have never felt there was any reason to get a GIA report or to pay for that. Most superideal cuts are AGS graded, so I think that's best overall.

max1111

Rough_Rock
Hello, I am getting a 2 ct ACA H color diamond from WhiteFlash for my e-ring. I am relatively new to diamonds. The diamond, of course, will come with the AGS report. Would you pay $448 + tax for a GIA cert? GIA inscriptions will cost $24, would you get this if you got the GIA?

Thank you in advance for your opinion!

I'd be doing everything I can on a stone that value to make sure it's exactly what I'm looking for. I'd possibly even look for an unbiased appraisal. 1.5% of the stones value is fairly minor on a stone that price.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results