shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you buy this pink sapphire ring?

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Or to be more accurate - should I bid on it? (As it’s in an auction)

I keep going back to this ring. It’s haunting me. Min bid is $2500aus.
It comes with a valuation of $28,000 but no certifications. Auction house is estimating around $5000.
I can’t afford that but could do the $2500 if I was in love - which I fear I might be. Will have to sell a ton of handbags and clothes to balance it out - lol

Have a look and tell me what you think please. All opinions welcome.

Attachments

• B852515C-51B6-4FDA-99E6-9CCBC3145887.png
    B852515C-51B6-4FDA-99E6-9CCBC3145887.png
    616.5 KB · Views: 24

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Hello fellow Aussie, I'm currently looking at a few auctions too and those ones there's always a reserve. Even if bids start at $2500 it won't meet the reserve if they want to get $5000 for it. And for that price you'd want a certificate etc for it. I'm on Lloyd's Auction at the moment and some of their loose gemstones are certified and don't have a reserve

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I follow/watch these types of auctions all the time.
Firstly the valuation value is from la la land. I see these ridiculous “replacement retail values” time and time again. It’s to make people think $5,000 is an absolute bargain.
It’s a lovely sapphire but it’s a risk.
With these types of auctions I find that the starting bid is the “reserve”. Perhaps ring and check. For $2,500 if you love it, why not. Personally I want to see Jewellery in person, to check with a loupe. I can at least tell if it’s likely a natural Gem. BE treatment identification requires a lab.
In the “valuation” the sapphire isn’t even described as “natural” so it could be lab. It could also be BE treated. It’s sold as described so if you find out after purchase it’s lab or treated, too bad. They never said it was natural (or not) they never said it untreated (or treated).
And don’t forget the buyers premium add 20.5% on top of your bid amount. And it’s in Bathurst so unless you fancy a drive, add shipping cost as well. I’d check with the Auction house what the shipping / insurance options are including cost. My experience here in Sydney with COVID is that no one is doing “signed for delivery”, I’m getting my deliveries “tossed onto the porch”.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour is nice and the cutting not bad in that I cannot see an obvious window.

However there is no mention of the treatment(s) of the Sapphire, and that bothers me for the reasons mentioned by the others.

Therefore I would pass.

DK :))

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Thankyou for your replies. You actually said exactly what I was thinking. I knew the information of the stone was missing and that the valuation was BS.
At least when my heart is falling in love with something my head is asking all the right questions. Pity..... because it really is lovely

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thankyou for your replies. You actually said exactly what I was thinking. I knew the information of the stone was missing and that the valuation was BS.
At least when my heart is falling in love with something my head is asking all the right questions. Pity..... because it really is lovely

I feel sad
i wanted this to be a good buy
Aussies need cheering up right now especially if you live in Victoria

If not maybe something better and less risky is just around the corner

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results