shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you buy this 3.00 H VVS2 Asscher?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paging @Matthews1127 and @Karl_K for help :)

I think it looks decent - all the facets seem to light up as it moves around in that video, which is good, although as it approaches the side-on view, the opposite side goes slightly dark / 'windows'.

Asschers are difficult to buy and there aren't that many truly amazing cuts! I believe Adiamor are a decent vendor but check their return policies - you really want to be able to inspect whatever you buy in all the dfferent lights you experience day-to-day, and then send it back if it is not to your satisfaction.

Have a look at Good Old Gold, James Allen, Enchanted Diamonds, and Gemconcepts for other options :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks pretty good too...did you ask for an ASET image?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No argument, it’s a beautiful Asscher; large, clear & great color (very white). l am only concerned about one area, in particular: the center...points at N, W & S. These Center facets are quite dim, even when tilted, causing them to appear gray to my* eye, which causes me to pause. l believe ASET is necessary in order to evaluate whether or not this is from a camera, a tilt issue, or if it’s poor p3 placement/light performance.
Perhaps, @Karl_K will be of better assistance.

9BCF7A0E-4CDE-46E2-BF70-D78F8630AA8D.png 4A6DB102-D6ED-462B-A885-7CA7F8421765.png 3A285004-144B-4060-A88B-01934553905F.png 5E924873-F01E-42B2-A3D0-872F612ED793.png EE9F2D34-A5A2-4960-B18A-D998AD8D2863.png BA28591E-9EEA-49B9-8617-FC0409C21B38.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a pretty good one. My hesitation is the same as Matthews with the one square of dark facets. Can you do better? Potentially yes if you have plenty of time to wait and look. But if you are wanting to buy now, I'd consider looking at it as long as they have a good return policy with no obligation to exchange.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paging @Matthews1127 and @Karl_K for help :)

I think it looks decent - all the facets seem to light up as it moves around in that video, which is good, although as it approaches the side-on view, the opposite side goes slightly dark / 'windows'.

Asschers are difficult to buy and there aren't that many truly amazing cuts! I believe Adiamor are a decent vendor but check their return policies - you really want to be able to inspect whatever you buy in all the dfferent lights you experience day-to-day, and then send it back if it is not to your satisfaction.

Have a look at Good Old Gold, James Allen, Enchanted Diamonds, and Gemconcepts for other options :)

Thanks, Shiny, I was looking at a few others, but they are smaller. I'll post links.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks pretty good too...did you ask for an ASET image?

Hi Tyty, not yet. I wanted to hear what the experts said first!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No argument, it’s a beautiful Asscher; large, clear & great color (very white). l am only concerned about one area, in particular: the center...points at N, W & S. These Center facets are quite dim, even when tilted, causing them to appear gray to my* eye, which causes me to pause. l believe ASET is necessary in order to evaluate whether or not this is from a camera, a tilt issue, or if it’s poor p3 placement/light performance.
Thanks, Matthews, I did not even notice that. You guys are educating me.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a pretty good one. My hesitation is the same as Matthews with the one square of dark facets. Can you do better? Potentially yes if you have plenty of time to wait and look. But if you are wanting to buy now, I'd consider looking at it as long as they have a good return policy with no obligation to exchange.
Hi DS2006, I don't need to buy right now. I do plan on buying a larger Asscher in the near future and was blown away by the size of this stone.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Go ahead and get an ASET if your interested in the stone and they will provide one.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
I would buy it since they have a 30 day return policy, no questions asked. I have bought from them before. I am not crazy about the IDJ one because the table is so large at 69%

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've got stones listed from 1.5 to 3 cts. That's a huge size range and price range. I think you need to set a budget of what you'd like to spend and also decide on the minimum size you want. Most asschers won't be able to be upgraded unless you buy from James Allen and spend double for the upgrade stone. So I'd be very sure you are getting one you would want to keep.

I didn't love any in your last post. Try to keep the table size under 65 (I prefer 60 or smaller). It's nice to see some of the crown. Some are too deep. I'd normally try to stay at or under 70% depth.

Here's the most perfect asscher I have ever seen and it is sold to a lucky PS member! Look at it's dimensions and facet pattern as you look at other stones.

http://gemconcepts.net/boutique/beautifully-crafted-asscher-cut-diamond/

https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=1253782931

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go ahead and get an ASET if your interested in the stone and they will provide one.
Hi Karl, I requested one. They said they would get back to me if they have one, which I thought was a strange reply.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi DS, my minimum is 1.5 ct. I'd be happy to either get one large Asscher or a smaller one that leaves some room for an additional stone purchase (like a European round). I just want a great stone. If I get a smaller one, I will probably put it into a halo setting.

"I didn't love any in your last post." This is helpful, because I was sure that everyone would like the Canera at least.

Thank you for the link to the diamond that you like. I will take a look and learn!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Karl, I requested one. They said they would get back to me if they have one, which I thought was a strange reply.

THat means that the diamond is at a cutting facility and they don't know if that source provides ASET images. Most of the stones pictured on James Allen are not held in-house by them.

Awesome..I do love asschers in halos, and I totally agree that two diamonds is better than one! lol! My two main diamonds are the AVR in my avatar picture and an antique asscher! So our likes are very similar!

This is what I'd buy right this minute if I didn't have the one I have...(but I'd offer less than the sale price)....

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/2-08ct-emerald-cut-diamond-halo-ring-gia-k-if

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
THat means that the diamond is at a cutting facility and they don't know if that source provides ASET images. Most of the stones pictured on James Allen are not held in-house by them.

Awesome..I do love asschers in halos, and I totally agree that two diamonds is better than one! lol! My two main diamonds are the AVR in my avatar picture and an antique asscher! So our likes are very similar!

This is what I'd buy right this minute if I didn't have the one I have...(but I'd offer less than the sale price)....

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/2-08ct-emerald-cut-diamond-halo-ring-gia-k-if

Hi, DS! Then Adiamor fibbed because they said that the diamond is in house. LOL.
You might be a professional mind reader, because that ring in the link is what I want. It's also near my size (5). Not sure about the K color though. Are we allowed to message each other?
Oh, and your AVR is amazing! :drool: I don't own a round diamond (first world problem, I know) but I will someday and hopefully it will be as awesome as yours!

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Keep in mind that all of these rotating diamond machines over obstruct the diamond and have little to no light in the green zone in ASET.
Also how large that area actually is on the real diamond has to be considered.
When not sure about small areas of the diamond and the rest looks good, more info is needed.
They also have a low frame rate so quick flashes may be missed.
As you compare more videos with the ASET image of the diamond you get a better feel for how they compare.
When in doubt like you did ask for more information, ASET and or other types of pictures outside of the machine.
Keep up the good work!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another option, should this not pan out, is to contact GOG https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search
Or Yoram Finkelstein at www.gemconcepts.net
to inquire if either of them can source or custom cut an Asscher for you. ;)2
Yeah, I'll probably have to do something like that. Adiamor said they would let me know if they could get ASET images, and I've never heard back. I'm not willing to buy it just to look at it if they can't provide me with requested info.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought my asscher blind at blue Nile since they had a great return policy and it is definitely the perfect asscher for me!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I'll probably have to do something like that. Adiamor said they would let me know if they could get ASET images, and I've never heard back. I'm not willing to buy it just to look at it if they can't provide me with requested info.

Yoram has been amazing; he sourced a suite of 7 vintage cut Asschers for me from his bench. I’m completing my transaction with him, next week! They’re GORGEOUS! I can’t wait to get them! I’m creating a bespoke 7 stone anniversary band!!!
I highly recommend him! :mrgreen2:
GOG has also been awesome to work with; I never purchased anything, as they didn’t have what I was looking for (the Octavia cannot be cut to the size that I need). However, their customer service was amazing!!! They are also another Top-notch recommendation!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yoram has been amazing; he sourced a suite of 7 vintage cut Asschers for me from his bench. I’m completing my transaction with him, next week! They’re GORGEOUS! I can’t wait to get them! I’m creating a bespoke 7 stone anniversary band!!!
I highly recommend him! :mrgreen2:
GOG has also been awesome to work with; I never purchased anything, as they didn’t have what I was looking for (the Octavia cannot be cut to the size that I need). However, their customer service was amazing!!! They are also another Top-notch recommendation!
Your ring sounds lovely! Yes, I have bought from GOG several times, I've always been pleased.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought my asscher blind at blue Nile since they had a great return policy and it is definitely the perfect asscher for me!
I bought an emerald cut blind from Blue Nile once. It was a great stone, but I ended up trading it in for a Jubilee from GOG many years ago. I would never rule BN out. They can be a great resource.

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think it would be between the 2.02 and the 2.01 (if I had the budget :). and the 2.02 still wins out for me. The 2.02 stands out more to me with more striking patterns, numbers wise I think it edges out the Canera too. Slightly more spread, perfectly square, Theyre both nice, but the 2.02 would be my fave. your eyes should be the judge as everyone says though.. Have fun! I think around 2 ct is a sweet spot for asschers :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, DS! Then Adiamor fibbed because they said that the diamond is in house. LOL.
You might be a professional mind reader, because that ring in the link is what I want. It's also near my size (5). Not sure about the K color though. Are we allowed to message each other?
Oh, and your AVR is amazing! :drool: I don't own a round diamond (first world problem, I know) but I will someday and hopefully it will be as awesome as yours!

Sorry, I've been out of town. You can find me on LoupeTroop, I think, with my same username. I think my email address would be within a listing. Just don't use LT messaging due to the unreliability.

Thank you so much regarding my AVR! I do love it as well as asschers!

The good thing about JBG is that you can view a piece and return within 3 days (I think you'd just have to pay shipping). Might be worth looking at. I understand the color hesitation. My K antique asscher is white enough for me to be my e-ring, but I don't like all K's and definitely not in all shape stones. But mine works, and I think that one might work just due to being set in a halo. The frame around it makes the contrast look like it's on purpose to me.

I'll look back at the two asschers...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results