shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you back out of house contract if test showed radon?

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I am under escrow to purchase a home. Home inspection was acceptable; just a few minor things. But the radon test came back elevated. There is currently no radon mitigation system. Would you back out of contract due to elevated levels of radon? Or would you try to get the seller to pay for a radon mitigation system?

Where is live is a sellers market and it has taken me months and viewing at least 40 houses, made offers on several. This house is perfect for my family. But I am very concerned about radon. Will a mitigation system really eliminate any danger?

I am in attorney review right now and must decide quickly what to do. Thoughts, past experiences would be appreciated!

My town is pretty much hit or miss for radon. You can be clear, next door neighbors can have it.

I have to be out of my current home by the end of summer (I am renting at owners are selling). I don't have a lot of options, but don't want to put my health and kids health at risk.

And a big concern is would it damage my resale value?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wasn't (still am not!) familiar with this so did a quick search. My initial reaction was yokes, no I wouldn't buy but now I am seeing that there are ways to address it. There is also no guarantee that you wouldn't buy a different house and have it end up with elevated levels at some point while you were living in it (and likely not know until selling).

I am almost thinking that buying something aware of the issue and proactively working to reduce it may be a reasonable option.

Again, I know nothing but what I just searched so take my initial feelings as just how I would feel without knowing complete details.

One article I looked at:

https://www.consumerreports.org/radon/is-it-safe-to-buy-a-home-with-an-elevated-radon-level/

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’ll be fine as long as they do the radon treatment. It’s actually pretty common, especially in newer homes (this decade). I wouldn’t back out because of it.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wasn't (still am not!) familiar with this so did a quick search. My initial reaction was yokes, no I wouldn't buy but now I am seeing that there are ways to address it. There is also no guarantee that you wouldn't buy a different house and have it end up with elevated levels at some point while you were living in it (and likely not know until selling).

I am almost thinking that buying something aware of the issue and proactively working to reduce it may be a reasonable option.

Again, I know nothing but what I just searched so take my initial feelings as just how I would feel without knowing complete details.

One article I looked at:

https://www.consumerreports.org/radon/is-it-safe-to-buy-a-home-with-an-elevated-radon-level/

This article offers two great pieces of advice. One is to contact a radon expert and get their professional opinion about remediation. Two is to do a 90 Day test, as the shorter term tests tend to UNDERESTIMATE radon levels. I would personally not rush into a sale of a house with a potentially serious health hazard for any reason. You want to find out from an expert if it can be easily and safely remediated, and you want to find out the true levels of radon you are dealing with before making such a long term decision. Just my opinion.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny you should mention this, as we are in the process of buying a home with this issue. We wound up backing out of the initial contract and then making a lower bid, which was accepted. We will do the radon fix after closing. We had to do it when we built our current house.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny you should mention this, as we are in the process of buying a home with this issue. We wound up backing out of the initial contract and then making a lower bid, which was accepted. We will do the radon fix after closing. We had to do it when we built our current house.

I like this scenario.
I would rather choose the equipment/installer than be stuck with what the seller chose.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally common. I would NEVER back out of a house because of traces levels or radon. It's easily fixed with a mitigation system.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this scenario.
I would rather choose the equipment/installer than be stuck with what the seller chose.

Exactly.
There were other issues with the house besides radon level that were revealed upon inspection. We made the right move I believe.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our house had higher radon levels and it was a simple fix capping our sump pump.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We bought a house that had radon. I totally forgot about it and now can't even remember which one it was. Before we got into all that it seemed very frightening. When we learned about it, it became routine. I wish I could remember more now!

Deb :wavey:

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
It depends on what the radon level is?
If it's in the double digits, then it warrants caution depending on whether the mitigation system can lower it significantly to below 4 pCi/L. Depending on how high, the seller will generally agree to pay for the mitigation system, which tends to cost around $3000, because the issue will come up and be a problem for future sales prospects anyhow.

I had my house mitigated after monitoring my basement for a long while, and the radon level tended to peak in waves, especially during the Winter months due to chimney effect. When I bought the house, it was just below action level. The level never went over a single digit but it gave me piece of my mind knowing that it stayed around 2 after the mitigation in the basement, although I would've liked it even lower.

Last edited:

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Our house had higher radon levels and it was a simple fix capping our sump pump.

This is indeed the most common leak cause, but in our case it wasn't the sump pump. The guy who did our radon mitigation ended up covering all floor cracks in our large basement, drilling a hole and a PVC vent along with a fan to help ventilate. Sometimes a fan isn't needed depending on the natural draft/draw of the installed pipe that goes out the roof.

The family who sold us our house found out her new house purchase a town over was registering 40+ Pci/L, but she had the seller mitigate the house, especially because she had been looking for over two years and this was the first house she actually liked.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Pretty common in the Midwest. We had an issue when we sold one house and had to mitigate.
I wouldn't rule the house out and you can either ask for the seller to do the mitigation (which could slow down the deal slightly), or ask for a credit at closing and choose your own contractor after you close.
Be aware that if it is a seller's market---they have the option of refusing either option.
Make sure your attorney understands what you wish to accomplish and words it appropriately. If your wish is to try to get them to pay but you still want to proceed if they will not---it will need to be worded differently than if you want the deal off if they will not pay.

Depending on the price of the mitigation it may, or may not be, a hill worth dying on.
Meaning if it is an $800K house and it costs $3K to mitigate---maybe not worth losing the house if you really love it and don't think you will find one that is a better fit.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Our current home had radon on inspection. It was discovered by the people that were under contract for the home prior to us and is something that needs to be disclosed. The sellers offered to have it mitigated, but we preferred to choose our own company which I would definitely recommend. The sellers may just want to be done with the sale and pick the cheapest or first company that the find which doesn't always mean that they are the best people for the job. Do your diligence and make sure you go with a reputable radon mitigation company and you should be fine.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely not. Radon is fairly common and you can fix it. So as others have already commented it isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things and certainly it is not worth losing your dream house for this. Good luck and hoping you can resolve this fairly easily. :appl:

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I decided to go through and good news, through our lawyers, the seller has agreed to mitigate and then independently retest at their expense using the radon mitigation company of my choosing. After a lot of research, I decided this was the best way to go and I have decided to proceed with the purchase.

I am very excited about the new home. It is perfect for my kids and me; I was losing hope of finding the right home until I found this one.

Thanks to those who replied.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I decided to go through and good news, through our lawyers, the seller has agreed to mitigate and then independently retest at their expense using the radon mitigation company of my choosing. After a lot of research, I decided this was the best way to go and I have decided to proceed with the purchase.

I am very excited about the new home. It is perfect for my kids and me; I was losing hope of finding the right home until I found this one.

Thanks to those who replied.

Woohoo and congratulations:appl:

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You did the right thing. In almost all cases you will end up with a better solution by accepting a house like this and putting in a good mitigation system.

Enjoy your new home...

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Perry and Missy, I am very excited about the new home.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excited for you @asscherisme
runaround1.gif
Getting a new home is one of the most exciting positive changes in life. GL and congratulations.:appl:

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Missy, I didn't think I would ever be able to own a home again after my divorce wiped me out financially. Now it is years later, and I am in a much much better place. It is a fresh start for my kids and me. No more landlords, no more having to move at the whim of the landlord selling. Control over my own home. MY home!!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I didn't think I would ever be able to own a home again after my divorce wiped me out financially. Now it is years later, and I am in a much much better place. It is a fresh start for my kids and me. No more landlords, no more having to move at the whim of the landlord selling. Control over my own home. MY home!!!!

1921765gi8123j4c.gif
@asscherisme so happy for you!
yayy.gif
You have been through so much but you persevered and came out on top! You ROCK.
rockon2.gif

and sending you buckets of good luck dust
fairy%20dust.gif
that it all goes smoothly.
hi501.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Update:

Heard from my realtor Friday, got new reports; radon successfully mitigated. One week re-test showed levels at .5 WELL below the threshold of what is considered safe of 4.

It was put on the back of the house, so you can't see it from the street too, so I am please about that.

YEAH! AND I got clear to close from my lender!! The last thing they were waiting on was the radon re-test. I close in a week!

Side note, when I started to tell friend about the radon system, 3 of my friends in the same town have on in their town. It is apparently VERY common here.

And Missy, thanks! It does not seem real yet that I am going to be a home owner again. I keep going over the numbers again and again; its hard to believe that I can actually afford this but I can.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does not seem real yet that I am going to be a home owner again. I keep going over the numbers again and again; its hard to believe that I can actually afford this but I can.

Major congratulations, asscherisme. This is just HUGE!!! Wow!

Hugs,
(((asscherisme)))
Deb

FTDGracefulGrandeurRoseBouquet.jpg

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Update:

Heard from my realtor Friday, got new reports; radon successfully mitigated. One week re-test showed levels at .5 WELL below the threshold of what is considered safe of 4.

It was put on the back of the house, so you can't see it from the street too, so I am please about that.

YEAH! AND I got clear to close from my lender!! The last thing they were waiting on was the radon re-test. I close in a week!

Side note, when I started to tell friend about the radon system, 3 of my friends in the same town have on in their town. It is apparently VERY common here.

And Missy, thanks! It does not seem real yet that I am going to be a home owner again. I keep going over the numbers again and again; its hard to believe that I can actually afford this but I can.

Wow 0.5 - that's a successful mitigation. :clap::clap::clap:
What was the level before?
This is exciting time for you - congrats!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Deb and blueMA! blueMA, it was 14 before, so I am VERY happy with results. I saw the tape from the entire test and there were periods of time it was down to "0" (I was told it is never really zero, but it was too low to measure). It never rose above 1.5 during the 7 day retest. They used the same company I choose for my original test to make sure I was satisfied it was independent.

Surrounded by boxes right now getting my stuff packed!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woohoo that is wonderful @asscherisme, so happy for you :appl::appl::appl:! Wishing you health and joy in your new home.:appl:

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your new home! I'm so happy to hear that this went through with no troubles! The fact that it is your perfect home is a HUGE bonus!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your new home! May you fill it with many years of memories.:appl:

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whohoo!.... Enjoy your new home.... Sleep in all you want... and do whatever you want...

You've earned your freedom; and the chance to have fun in the abode that you are also responsible for...

Closing on houses is always interesting.

Enjoy life!

Perry

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results