shape
carat
color
clarity

would you add colored side stones to your ering?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question for all of you... if you could redo your ering and add colored side stones, would you do it? Would you worry it would make it less "classic" or less versatile? The reason I ask is that we''re thinking about doing that and I want to consider all opinions before I make the jump.

Short story is that my original ering was a princess center with side sapphires. Sapphires are my birthstone. I adored it and have such happy, fond memories of us first seeing the ring, my hubby buying it and trying to surprise me with the timing of the proposal (which he really didn''t do because we had a trip planned and I figured he''d do it then). Anyway, that setting was from a maul store and it started falling apart. One of the sapphires got really loose and almost fell out and a side diamond was coming out too. Before losing any stones, we decided to redo the setting and to do it in platinum (it was in 14k white gold and my body chemistry causes cheaper mixes of white gold to turn yellow quickly). A local jeweler broke my princess stone while setting it so we ended up (thankfully) finding WF and having them make me a RB solitaire and custom eternity band which I love. But I''ve missed the sapphires and am toying with the idea of using my beautiful center stone in a new setting with side sapphire pears. But I''m worried it won''t be as versatile with the colored stones. I don''t want a RHR as I already have the WF scattered band and wear it every day. And I don''t love the look of 3 rings together (ering, wedding band, and possibly a sapphire band of some kind) on my fingers.

Thoughts? Advice? Anyone do it and wish they hadn''t or are sooo glad they did?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I considered it. I would have loved a three stone ring. I think its what you think that counts. I reckon it will look gorgeous!

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks Maisie! I love your avatar by the way!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a gorgeous look, but one that isn''t really for me. I like colored stone centers with diamond sides or a classic all diamond ring *for me*. So I personally wouldn''t, but I do love to see that on other people''s rings! It''s very pretty.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
i struggled with that for a while but i didnt want the commitment of color on my e-ring. i ended up with a diamond band and another band with rubies and diamonds that i alternate if i feel like the color

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks neatfreak and bgray! Keep the comments coming. This is exactly what I need to be hearing before making a decision.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I love the look, but not for my e-ring. It simply comes down to preference.

cheers--Sharon

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks canuk-gal! It''s funny - I don''t usually love the 3 stone look (with any shape of all diamonds) because I think it makes the center stone get lost. But when the sides are sapphires, I love it. Ugghh such a hard decision. I think part of me is just remembering the emotions attached to the first ring. But I truly loved the sapphires and it made it different - you don''t see tons of erings with sapphires.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SDL - thanks! I was hoping you''d chime in. Your ring is gorgeous!!! I don''t know why I''m hesitant about commiting to color in my ering. I loved it so much before. Then when we went with the solitaire, people said "oh that''s probably a good thing - now you''re not tied to a particular color in your ring".

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 10:35:01 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I started out with a solitaire and while I do miss the classic elegance of it and I swoon over so many here, I do love my colored three stone. Now more than ever since I''ve paired it with an eternity to go with my engagement ring & wedding band. It really comes down to preference. :) I dont think my ring is less versatile because of the color.
do you have a picture?

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 10:49:14 AM
Author: bgray
Date: 11/17/2008 10:35:01 AM

Author: SanDiegoLady

I started out with a solitaire and while I do miss the classic elegance of it and I swoon over so many here, I do love my colored three stone. Now more than ever since I''ve paired it with an eternity to go with my engagement ring & wedding band. It really comes down to preference. :) I dont think my ring is less versatile because of the color.
do you have a picture?

SDL''s ring is TO DIE FOR!
If her''s doesn''t swing you towards sapphires, nothing will. (written by a sapphire Ering wearer)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the look of sapphire side stones but I am funny about mixing colors with other rings or my clothes (OCD I think) so I would prefer all diamonds and add a sapphire band when it matched. My son''s fiancee wants a sapphire pear enhancer for her RB solitaire.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks swimmer and AprilBaby!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Sapphires are more than classic and timeless enough, so I wouldn''t worry about that. If you miss your old sapphires, go for it! Especially if you have WF source you some really beautiful ones. Be sure to post pictures too!

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Woooo Katedid,

Like you I loved SAPPHIRES!!! They are my top favorite... I had Whiteflash make me a sapphire wrap....This way I can wear when I want and then wear my soliare alone when I feel the mood. I get TONS of compliments on my three stone set.... I SAY GO FOR IT!! SDL ring was my inspiration I love her ering... WOOO

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks Kelli! I''m actually having Lesley look into some pricing for me. That alone will determine how quickly (if at all) we could do this! I tried on a ring at a local B&M and it had pear shaped diamonds but the girl said to give me an idea of what sapphires would look like (and they do this all the time for a visual), she colored the side stones with a blue sharpie. You would not believe how much different it made the ring look and how much the stones popped.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
woobug, I remember your sapphire wrap! Do you wear it a lot? It turned out gorgeous by the way!

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
I love the look of colored stone sidestones on a three stone ring, but I''m a bit biased because I *love* colored stone rings (I''m currently in week 4 of my wait for my sapphire e-ring from Pearlman''s/Ritani). I think that if you loved it before and miss the look, then you should go for it. If you don''t want to wear the color, you can always just wear your eternity band on its own... or with some diamond stackers... or with some plain stackers... or with a combo of those...
9.gif

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks LS - you have, quite possibly, the most beautiful sapphire I''ve ever laid eyes on...

And thanks Laurel - you are a bad enabler with all of those suggestions... but I love the ideas!
emwink.gif

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
If your question is about coloured sides, then bear in mind there''s always coloured diamonds...

If you are talking sapphires specifically, I don''t see why not, if you like it. Personally, I''d rather have a centre sapphire with side diamonds than the other way around, but it''s all a matter of personal taste.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Of course...love sapphire sides...if I change mine it will only be to bigger sapphires
25.gif

I have a sapphire and diamond eter band and cushion sapphire RHR

diane

lovinsparkles

Shiny_Rock
It sounds like you''ve had this type of setting before, loved it, and now miss it, so I don''t think you''ll be disappointed if you do it again.

Like some above, my personal preference as far as colored stones are concerned is for a colored center surrounded by diamonds, rather than the reverse. But if you love it, go for it! If I were ever to incorporate colored stones in an e-ring, I would think about using really pale or less common colored sapphires (maybe pale greens and pinks or something), just to have something a little different and because I think that would be a nice, subtle, litle more unusual look.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Although I wouldn''t personally change my e-ring setting to include sapphires, I love the look of a RB center with sapphire pear-shaped side stones. I really don''t think color makes it any less "versatile." I have a sapphire RHR that I wear with pretty much anything.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Speaking as a colored stone lover, I say go for it! I think that if you miss your original ring, then you won''t regret it.

Besides, blue goes with just about everything (says the girl who is obsessed with blue EVERYTHING.)

9.gif

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 9:38:51 AM
Author: neatfreak
I think it''s a gorgeous look, but one that isn''t really for me. I like colored stone centers with diamond sides or a classic all diamond ring *for me*. So I personally wouldn''t, but I do love to see that on other people''s rings! It''s very pretty.
I agree. I would probably get a colored band if I wanted to add color. That being said I have seen many gorgeous rings on pricescope which included gemstones
35.gif

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I have sapphires in both my e-ring and w-ring, and I like it a lot. It''s a bit different from the usual without being less classic. I wear both rings every day with any color of clothing and never worry about them not matching. With that being said, I would like to upgrade to a larger stone at a certain point if I ever have the money, and I would probably change my set to one with all diamonds. Your set is definitely classic and wearable at this point, but if you really miss the sapphires, you should go ahead and get them.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I love the color in my set. When I wear a plain solitaire for travel, I''m always missing my sapphires. My original e-ring was a sapphire and we were married in September so they have special meaning for us.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

When I got engaged I also thought I wanted side sapphires (yay September birthdays!) but in the end I didn''t want something that I could potentially get tired of and I decided on the classic e-ring like you have. We are now shopping for wedding bands and I am getting something like yours, but also a thin sapphire one to rotate or wear as a rhr. Could you get another eternity band with sapphires and diamonds and rotate wearing it?

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - went to the gym at lunch and came back to so many great and thoughtful replies! Thanks to all of you. Seems pretty evenly split between "colored side stones are great and still versatile, so do it if you love it" and "I''d stick with all diamonds" camps. That''s ok though - it''s great to read what people think the pros and cons are.

I have a pretty good idea of what it will cost us now (thanks to the always super-fast-and-incredibly-responsive Lesley...). I need to think about it, give my hubby the numbers, and see how soon we could do it if I choose to go that route. But keep the comments coming!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results