shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you accept less money to be happier at work?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mightyred

Shiny_Rock

Hi All.....

Looking for some input here from all you lovely PS''ers! I have been looking for a new job and have come across a dilemma.
My current job I get a good amount $ but no job satisfaction and generally come home feeling stressed, under appreciated and anxious to get out of there.

I have been interviewing recently and am in a position where I have some options .....both jobs I am looking at are the same job role except one would be working for corporate America the other for a non profit International agency.

Background is he (him indoors) make substantially more than me so his pay goes to majority (home,bills) and mine we have been using for savings, retirement, travel (my family are outside the US) and bling when allowed!

The corporate America job will be fairly interesting, busy work and the opportunity for bonuses etc. I will mostly likely be able to leave each day and not think about it. The non-profit job I am very drawn to because it is a subject very close to my heart working in immigration and really appeals to my social conscience.

The difference in pay is over $18,000 a year!!!

Would you take such a massive pay cut in order to be doing a job you love or would you consider that too drastic an amount to drop?

If anyone has any input or experience I would love to hear it. My head and heart conflict!

33.gif
THANKS~!!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm...let me think...YES.
Can I tell you something very sad- I"m an attorney thinking of becoming a paralegal or legal sect''y ... no joke. Without joy, life is meaningless. If work sucks, your life sucks.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steve & MMM make good points but not having enough money to meet expenses or just enough to meet expenses with none left for goodies sucks too & can affect how much joy you get out of life.

If you and your hubby are both ok with less income and whatever effect it may have on your flexibility for retirement, vacations, bling, etc., follow your heart. If things don''t work out financially, you can always search for another job.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that under these circumstances, my decision would be based on what the final pay would be after the cut. If it was an amount I could live with, I''d say yes take the new job. If it wasn''t enough income, I''d hunt around for a job that did fit the bill both financially and mentally. If your current job isn''t satisfying you, time to move! Don''t waste your life away in a miserable job.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

It is relative certainly. I have many colleagues who have left industry to work in the non-profit sector, and do not regret the of loss of "titles" and "remuneration" one little bit. But many of these folks have done well enough (financially) that the decision to leave comes easier then those who still have numerous obligations (supporting kids in their Doctoral programs, retired unwell husbands etc, etc.).

In my own case, in twenty years of employment in various capacities I''ve lived a few experiences: I''ve gone from highly rewarding and well paying but physically difficult and stressful work; to very low paying (grants essentially) but highly rewarding/mentally challenging and not physically difficult work; to highly stressful, moderate paying not physically difficult work. Which job was the best? Hands down I would have to say the lowest paying but mentally challenging and rewarding job (medical research).

But too, each job was a very different time in my life--sequentially written from post graduation to my present age--what I tolerated, and my current priorities now are very different......

I know you already know this MR, but; Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Are both of these jobs long term with growth potential? Where do you see yourself adding the most value? Would the job in the nonprofit sector have potential to cause you mental uneasiness? Would you be able to manage financially if you took the lesser paying position, should something happen to your spouse''s job?

So many variables to consider--but, yet, it is wonderful to be in a position to make a change! Good luck in your decision.

cheers--Sharon

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I agree Matata...Gov''t cheese does suck too LOLOL

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
My answer would be a definite "yes"! I actually did something very similar a few years ago. I was working in Corporate America, in your typical 8-5 job. I worked in a cubicle, glued to a computer all day. At five o''clock, I would leave and go home stressed, unhappy, and dreading what was to come in less than 12 hours - another day at a work. One day while sitting in my little cubicle, I took a look around. I noticed that everyone looked so dejected. Everyday was the same for all of us, and there was little, if any excitement. I said to myself that even though I was making decent cash, I just didn''t want to spend another day stuck in a rut, unable to enjoy my life, and feeling miserable everyday because of my job. So I quit and joined the Military ( although I am NOT recommending this!!). I literally walked into a recruiters office and said, " I want to be in the Army" ( there were other reasons I chose to do this, as well, not just the job aspect). I never went back to that company. Irresponsible, I know, but I was just so fed up. So I took a HUGE, and I mean HUGE pay cut ( the military doesn''t pay much at all). I left a month later for basic training, and the rest is history. Since then, almost 5 years ago now, I have traveled around the world, gone back to school, and found a career that I am currently pursueing and truly love. It doesn''t pay much, but I would much rather be happy.
Of course, you have to consider your unique situation. I don''t know if you have any children or not, but if you have kids, your decision will be indicative of them. I also don''t know the kind of life you want, but if expensive possesions are really important to you, then you might want to take the job that offers more. I would follow your heart. Envision yourself in each job. Which one do you see yourself being happier with? Personally, I have always felt this: when you are old and dying, it is not how much money you had or the letters after your name that are important. It is happiness, fulfillment, love and family that really matter! Sorry to ramble on, but I wouldn''t want to see anyone unhappily working a job unless they really have to. Good luck to you, and let us know what you decide on!!
1.gif

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
If you''re not happy at work, you''ll end up not doing a good job. It''s a downward spiral from there. Bad jobs take too much out of you as a person and end up greatly affecting your family life.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I followed my heart once and it was the best experience I''ve ever had. From the day of my birth, I wanted to be a zoologist, but I''m missing the math gene and barely made it through college algebra. I spent 18 years in higher education before a series of events led me to acquire my dream job as a wildlife rehabilitator for an Audubon chapter in Texas.

I was licensed to work with birds of prey and mammals and every day I was shat upon and vomited upon by all manner of feathered and furred creatures and I loooooooooved every single second of it. It was heart wrenching work because most wild animals sick/injured enough to be captured have little chance of recovery and release BUT each one released helped ease the hurt of the others that were lost. And, I got to teach classes for children and adults about the relationship between humans, the environment, and other creatures who inhabit it with us. Working with wild animals taught me more about being human than I''d ever learned previously. Ohhhhh those were the days.

The job didn''t pay much money but I''ve never been happier. Unfortuantely, the director mismanaged the funding and the chapter went bankrupt after 2 years. Back to higher ed I came and here I''ll stay until I retire after which I plan to volunteer at the local wildlife rehab center. I can hardly wait.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
It sounds as if you should definitely leave where you are now, but you are not describing the Corporate job as one that you would be miserable in. I''m a BIG believer of getting out of miserable situations.

However, when it is just a tradeoff of $$ versus something you are more drawn to, I think you have to look at where you are in life and how it will impact your long term goals and your family life. It you can make an $18k drop and still keep those two things going well, than by all means take the non-profit job. However, you will have lots of time in the longer term to do volunteer and non-profit work, if you set yourself up well for retirment and/or financial security. No one can make this decision for you from afar. I would talk through the tradeoffs, short and long term with your other half and decide collectively what is best for you and your lives. I''ve walked out of bad jobs without one waiting, and it was the best thing I ever did (should have done it earlier tho....).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with what someone else said...in terms of being able to meet expenses.

Being happy in your job is great and everyone should aspire to that. However, not all careers where you will be happiest are going to be as lucrative as others you may not love as much.

Only you can make that decision on what is too big of a cut to take and/or sacrifice to make.

In my opinion if taking this new gig would affect your long term financial goals in a negative way, then I would seriously not consider doing it. I have to remember now that I am married that it is not JUST me in the relationship and same with my husband. It''s us together and we have goals we both have to work to achieve so that we can be fine later in life and retirement. That''s not SO far away now!

In an ideal future, we''d all be able to be super happy in our jobs and make the money we need to survive and also plan for the future, but unfortunately not many get to live that dream. If dropping the $18k still means you are okay and will not be affected negatively in the long run...then do it! But if it will really screw with your future and finances..I would advise to really double think it.

Good luck!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
"If you''re not happy at work, you''ll end up not doing a good job" ... OMG. SO true! I''m living proof LOL

I think there is a HUGE difference b/w just not enjoying your job and it consuming you and ruining your life. WORKING SUCKS for most of us. That''s life. We deal and move on... And we all know tthat there are certain income levels that we need for ourselves...

BUT when it starts to intrude into your non-work life there is a problem. No money in the world is worth that. If you have the opportunity to live your life instead of living for the weekend and can obviously afford to do so, the decision for me is easy.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Follow your heart and do somehting you truly love. if the non-profit speaks to you in such a way, go for it. if it means cutting back a little on vacations or treats, it''s worth it.

One of the greatest luxuries in this life is to do something you love.... the rewards will far outweight the $18,000 salary difference. Good luck.
1.gif

mightyred

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to say thanks everyone for your input......I truly appreciate it. I don''t have to make the final decision just yet so we are using the time to talk it out and work out the bottom line (financially and mentally).

MMM, I would be working with pro bono lawyers and paralegals (who could make much more elsewhere) if I take the non profit and I think to myself if they can make such a sacrifice then I should be able to!

I guess I should have said I ''assume'' I will love it and that seems to be my stumbling block - making the leap of faith! MichelleCarmen you made a good point - it will be dealing with some difficult issues and whilst I consider myself a strong woman I do cry at Extreme Home Makeover each week so I have to bear that in mind!
emcrook.gif

I am very lucky that I don''t have any pressure at home to be out there making the $ but I do put pressure on myself in that dept and maybe I just need to get over that.

I will keep you posted on what I decide! THANKS again for all your words......
36.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Tough call & keep us posted. Also, how young are you? And, which job will be easier to secure in the future? And, as someone mentioned, you may not be happy in the job paying less - and you may have the added stress of not having that money for a vacation.

If you are young, in the long one, I would accept the position with the most possiblity for advancement which may lead to more autonomy. But, I enjoy making decisions.

Again, tough call. Hubby did take a pay cut during one career moves. But, the move was more of a lifestyle change in terms of no traveling every week.

...the grass is not always greener. Good luck!

bobswench

Rough_Rock
I took a $13k cut and changed careers. Best money I never spent!

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
I took $12k cut...and am sooooooo happy I did. I actually don''t miss the money so much since I am not having to buy myself ''poor jen'' gifts to have a bright spot, and am spending less on eating out since the thought of cooking at the end of a miserable day just made me depressed before. So, do what you think will make you feel better!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results