shape
carat
color
clarity

Would this stone fit in this setting?

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Hi y'all!

I purchased this ring because I absolutely adore this setting. I'm not too crazy about the tourmaline in it, though. It's too dark for my taste. I'd love to get another stone to put in this setting.

The tourmaline is 8.4 x 6.4. I've been eyeing this lavendarish sapphire, its measurements are 7.3 x 5.1. Would it work in this setting?

Any advice is appreciated!

091.JPG

lavemns124-1.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A difference of over a mill in all directions may cause issues. What might happen is that you'll have a gap on the sides until you see the side stones and in the worst case you'll see the metal of the head. You can already see the claws holding the baguettes near the centre stone so imagine an airline there also. Also, I'm not sure whether the tourmaline is an emerald cut or not? So you may also have problems with the corners and the prongs. It might work but this one is a bit of gamble.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I don't think that will work as the cut of the sapphire combined with the 1mm size difference is going to make it very hard. The tourmaline looks like it doesn't have clipped corners and replacing it with a stone that does could mean that there is nothing for the prongs to hold!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto the above 2 posters; a 1 mm difference in both the width and length is probably pushing it too much, in addition to the clipped corners. It's not a risk I would be willing to take.

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
LD, Pandora and Chrono, thank you very much for your comments. I appreciate your expert opinions!

Would a cushion work in this setting? What about this stone? Its measurements are 8 x6, so it's still a little smaller than the original stone.

Attachments

• lilac spinel.bmp
    732.5 KB · Views: 216

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Measurement-wise, yes, this stone is a better candidate for the setting but the (lack of) colour leaves much to be desired.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Okie Girl,
Chrono is right, it will fit with a smith mounting it. Best regards, Lee

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Chrono, yeah, you're right. The search continues!

Lee, thanks for your input!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results