shape
carat
color
clarity

Would this be a downgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

josmar0623

Rough_Rock
I''m always changing my mind about my setting. I started off with a 14K white gold trellis setting but, disliked how high the diamond sat so I decided to change my setting to a setting that had pave diamonds halfway around the band which was platinum and then a surprise diamond on either side of the center stone. Now that I look back on it I should have seen if my jeweler could have just modified my trellis setting so that the center stone didn''t sit up so high. All I can keep looking at now is solitaire trellis settings such as the Vatche x-prong setting or replica lucida setting but, slightly different from my first trellis setting. I''m thiiiss close to switching my setting again to a nicer trellis setting. I''m wondering if this is not a smart move and would actually be a downgrade because the new setting would most likely not be platinum due to budget restrictions and not have diamonds.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rings don''t hold value, so as long as you have what you like, does it matter if it is technically a "downgrade"? I think not.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 5:07:39 PM
Author: dreamer_d
Rings don''t hold value, so as long as you have what you like, does it matter if it is technically a ''downgrade''? I think not.

Ditto.

And you may be able to sell it on e-bay or other online resource (I''d avoid Craigslist) and recoup some money if you don''t want to keep it for another stone. Have you asked your jeweler if he/she would accept it on trade-in? If it''s relatively new and in good condition, you may be able to work something out. Also, is it a brand name setting, like Tacori? Those tend to have a little bit better resale value than generic settings. Perhaps you could consign it at the jewelry store. Just a few options to help you justify the change
9.gif

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
Not at all. You still have the same diamond... it should be in whatever setting you feel like looking at. Same foot, different shoe.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
take a look at my x prong thread here in show me the ring... Its a custom made from Brian Gavin.. I think it''s the perfect height and I''m sure they would work with you to give you exactly what you like

josmar0623

Rough_Rock

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 9:05:00 PM
Author: josmar0623

I actually was really interested in this one until I saw that it was made to accommodate 1.2-1.3 ct stone. My stone is a 1ct. I figured I would have to pass since it might not be able to be modified to fit a 1.0 ct. stone. Am I right in assuming this?

I''m pretty sure that Vatche makes their settings specific to carat weight, so the band width is proportional to the stone. But Bill Pearlman is a nice guy and an experienced jeweler, and it wouldn''t hurt to call and ask if the setting could accommodate your stone. It is a good price.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Yep. It wouldn't hurt to ask, especially it you don't want it set real high. Pearlman's is good to work with and will try to help.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a ''budget'' X-prong and I could DEFINITELY see the difference in quality with more skillfully executed ones. There are actually quite a few people who have switched their X-prong settings to nicer ones because they love the style but not the execution of their originals. I don''t think it''s a downgrade, it''s a style choice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results